Suggestions for new sections for forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I am driven by the mantra 'don't make me think'. I've been on so many forums where I've had to sit and think for ages where to start to look for something, then I go to that place and it's either not what I wanted or so rarely used that all the responses there seem too out of date to add to. If you wonder what I'm talking about, look at dLife, Diabetes Daily, Diabetes.co.uk to name but three.

Expanding the 'Recipes' to include 'Diet' might be worth a tryout though, and see how successful or otherwise it is. (Only 3 clicks to a recipe, Rossi, one more than currently🙂)

Evening Troops you got my little tired grey matter working here, well in summary here are my thoughts on this discussion...

I like simplicity too, so would not be in favour of loads of sections subsections stickies and whatever. Isn't there a 3 click rule in website design if anything is more than 3 clicks away people may not bother with?

I think DVLA and books and recipies are valid boards, agree gallery is perhaps unused, is the competition bit really going to take off?

I like the pumping subbie, but feel now it should be a board itself?

I can't see the point of a carb counting board at all, sorry! Carb values can be found from a whole host of websites books etc, and how they work is so varied to us all, hence the usefulness of being able to post in the main board and get a response royal mail would be proud of.

I do however think the idea of a Information board is excellent, which could have things added to, but once again the problem that I see is people adding to threads and going off subject (hands up I know I am a prime suspect here!) so it's hard for the reader to find all the information in a snapshot.

I think that's what I was thinking and wanting to say, if I think of anthing else I' pop back in 🙂 Otherwise I'm pouring myself a glass of vino.

I was never told to carb count there for don't know how to, Ive done an online course but still get muddled to that part of this site is great for me .
I don't want this bit to go anywhere.

Assume away David! But yes I currently have the bull by the horns and have a good grip, no doubt It'll loosen up at somepoint.

I didn't say get rid of books or dvla!

I'll have a dig for bev's original post.

And I do accept real world explanation for people having trouble is invaluable but I don't feel it's own board is the right way to go...

I was never told to carb count there for don't know how to, Ive done an online course but still get muddled to that part of this site is great for me .
I don't want this bit to go anywhere.

Hey Lou if you have any questions about carb counting then please do post away and ask anything, we're all here to help and learn together. I would say post on the main general board but there may be a different one by now!😉

It is it is it is hee hee hee stamping feet and having strop. Actually I don't do strop. 😉

I agree with Einstein in everything. 🙂

We are obviously split here but there is also obviously a need, so my view is that we combine recipes and diet, just as has been suggested previously and as Northerner says see how it goes. It lots of people use it, then maybe diet will warrant a place near the top on its own and possibly in diet, there could be carbs at some point in the future.

Assume away David! But yes I currently have the bull by the horns and have a good grip, no doubt It'll loosen up at somepoint.

I didn't say get rid of books or dvla!

I'll have a dig for bev's original post.

And I do accept real world explanation for people having trouble is invaluable but I don't feel it's own board is the right way to go...

Sorry Sir,

My error, indeed you didn't, comment retracted! and apology offered. 😱

accepted, no worries here sir! Enjoying the fire, snow watch and a south african:D

I have read through this thread with great interest, which led to go looking at the main page to discover the gallery page for example....

How about a thread simular to that....... Titled A-Z Advice board & have a althabetical layout simular to the gallery thread. that way if your looking for anything like CARBS you click C
RECIPES = R
DVLA/DRIVING = D
This is just my opinion tho or am i not understanding the question

I have read through this thread with great interest, which led to go looking at the main page to discover the gallery page for example....

How about a thread simular to that....... Titled A-Z Advice board & have a althabetical layout simular to the gallery thread. that way if your looking for anything like CARBS you click C
RECIPES = R
DVLA/DRIVING = D
This is just my opinion tho or am i not understanding the question

Sounds a good idea. I think the gist of what some people have said is less clicking is a good thing and I agree with that. If the areas above that you have mentioned are all put under an A - Z thread then there would be so much more less on the main page and so easier to find things.

I agree too!🙂

Northerner/admin - have there been any further discussions regarding this idea?🙂Bev

Sounds a good idea. I think the gist of what some people have said is less clicking is a good thing and I agree with that. If the areas above that you have mentioned are all put under an A - Z thread then there would be so much more less on the main page and so easier to find things.

Theoretically it would work well, but from experience the key issue with alphabetical classifications for indexes being accessed by lots of people and added too, (as I know from my experience in provisioning document management systems) centres around there becoming a difference in what people class the same thing as. For a simple example, would you post as driving or DVLA, perhaps insurance or motoring...

Sounds very simple to resolve, but it actually requires a lot of discipline and controlling people as to what or where they can post becomes restrictive to the point of stopping people using the system.

So far there seems to be one new section request, added to perhaps giving pumping it's own section, rather than a sub-section and therefore reducing the space it takes on the busiest section with the header.

If as has been wisely suggested recipes were renamed as diet or food, then there would be a ready made home, there are 64 posts of which a number are requests for food related information anyway.

It would make the least impact on the structure of the forum and isn't restructuring everything on the off chance there might be very little traffic - it's just a rename and a little watching for the mods to move food related posts across when required.

Again David, I agree, I believe we are on the same page with this topic.

Just a thought here ok.....
I have looked at the recipe section & can see your point about too much clicking i think that it could easily be tidy by putting things into catagories such as :
meat disheses
chicken,
beef pork,
lamb ect
pasta dishes
sweets/puddings

That way your not clicking back searching to see if the recipe you want to add has not already been added as i have just done this myself & got too lazy to keep on searching & clicking.😱
better crawl in a corner & hide for a while....no offence to anyone honest just giving you my views i love this group & find it very knoledgeable & have learnt a lot,
This is a great forum & you are all fantastic.
Let me know when i can come out of hiding :D

Come on peeps - your all important and we need your views on what we should do about the carb issue!:DBev

Something I have been considering for a while is an 'Information' section. This would probably replace the 'In the News' section on the Main page. In the News would then become a sub-section of the Information board.

Infrmation could then include sub-sections for Carb and Carb Counting, Glossary, In the News, Blogs and Sites of Interest. Any more people can think of? Think I'll move these posts to a new thread!

An information or common topics area would be good - maybe popular posts started in other areas could be nominated as informative and moved over?

Mind you, that could cause the mods more work than they need. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back