Suggestions for new sections for forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the little GEM book for carb counting, it's small and fits into a pocket and it only costs around ?5.00

I have no real thoughts as to putting it onto the Forum, as I have got used now to the wee book. I do think though, it would be difficult to set and maintain. I think it cold present more issues than solve, sorry.

Only my opinion

Hazel

I like that the forum is not too split up and fragmented. There are other sites that there are so many different parts that it's hard to know where to start. If I only have a certain amount of time here then I will only look in the general section.

Some of the sections eg. driving are not posted in much but are read, possibly by visitors wanting to find this information, get the answers they are looking for but have no more to contribute.

David is right not many people do bring up old threads, soemtime sit can be good to reinvent threads. on other forums I have belonged to it wasn't the done thing to drag up old threads. So peoples expereinces of other forums will dictate how they use this one.

I don't go through old threads purely because I don't have the time, not because I'm lazy, just a time issue.

This is why I think that one of the most important aspects of diabetes control should be a main topic with its own thing. Even if it is up top underneath pumping. Pumping was added as it became a major topic. Well carbs have been a major topic for as long as the forum has been going.

Looking the at the threads posted today on carb counting, the thread started by Nikki is now in the bottom half way of the first page.

On my laptop that's out of my viewing or scanning area, e.g. where I look to see if there is anything new happening quickly, so it's not a place I'd look to quickly, so I'd presume others wouldn't either.

The sub-forums box at the top of the main page is taking a lot of space, now there is a seperate forum does it need to be identified and taking up this space now we know there is a pumping section? Removing this sub-forums section would allow another 3-4 threads to be visible at the top of the page.

I don't go through old threads purely because I don't have the time, not because I'm lazy, just a time issue.

This is why I think that one of the most important aspects of diabetes control should be a main topic with its own thing. Even if it is up top underneath pumping. Pumping was added as it became a major topic. Well carbs have been a major topic for as long as the forum has been going.

With carb counting looking at an old thread will generate the answer about the meal you're preparing there and then, if you do a new post you've got to wait until someone answers it. You go hungry 🙄

Pumping is important to part of this community, of interest to a number of others. However, carb counting or general dietary advice is critical to all insulin dependants, but diet applies to everyone of us here regardless of type.

Perhaps including diet will confuse the area I don't know. More of an idea for linking closely related issues together.

We have a thread for recipes, could carb counting (or carbcounting) be put with that? Not sure how it would work, and I can see the potential for a big muddle too.

Thanks for all your comments so far folks! I think what aymes and Nikki have mentioned is precisely what Kati had in mind when creating the forum - that we don't get too fragmented and start missing or ignoring parts because we don't have time to go investigating sections scattered throughout the forum. What Patricia says supports this too, and I think most of us (not all!) accept that a plus point of the forum is the fact that we are 'all in it together' - T1, T1.5, T2, T3 etc. - and because of this we learn from each other, largely because there are many aspects of diabetes that are common to everyone - depression, diet, insulin, BG levels, testing, pharmacies, doctors etc.

If I had free rein with the software, I think a good design would be an ability to 'tag' threads made in the General board and have a sidebar or drop down list of available tags. Clicking a tag would show threads associated with that tag - this would probably be as quick or quicker than heading off to different sections. However, that's a bit of a pipe dream as I don't even know whether the software can be configured to do that.

I quite like the idea of 'Diet' as a main board section, maybe with Recipes and Carbs/Carb Counting as subsections. I suspect that if we were to have Carb/Carb Counting on the main board we'd have to be fairly strict about what goes into it - for it to be a quick and easy resource we would want the majority (if not all) the posts therein to be 'relevant' and not wandering off at a tangent as many do on the General board.

I'm sure something can be done to make the forum an (even more!) useful place to visit, but it does need careful consideration. The more ideas and preferences that come in, the better the changes will ultimately be, so please keep the ideas and opinions coming in!🙂

I have no problem with the word diet as a new subject, I think Einstein suggested that and I meant to agree. This is the same as carbs really as it incorporates everything ie what pasta does in the body is not the same as how many carbs it has and I was including the whole thing.

I am computer literate, it is part of my job description so I can find my way around these things and have had to make programs etc easier to use for the people I work with who are not so computer literate. This is why I still think the way I suggested is so much more user friendly to all but just saying 'diet' rather than carbs. But I bow to your greater authority and will shut up and go with the flow.............😛

I quite like the idea of 'Diet' as a main board section, maybe with Recipes and Carbs/Carb Counting as subsections. I suspect that if we were to have Carb/Carb Counting on the main board we'd have to be fairly strict about what goes into it - for it to be a quick and easy resource we would want the majority (if not all) the posts therein to be 'relevant' and not wandering off at a tangent as many do on the General board.

Why not rename the recipies section "Recipies and Diet"?

one reason i enjoy this forum as northe said is that we are all in it together but i like the idea of a Diet title with recipes and carb counting as subbys....

also a while back the idea of a calender was bantered around...how about a cookbook?? where we could all put a favourite recipe and profits could go to jduk (for the kids) ...a very simple non flashy format ...a school i worked in once did it and it was hugely successful

one reason i enjoy this forum as northe said is that we are all in it together but i like the idea of a Diet title with recipes and carb counting as subbys....

also a while back the idea of a calender was bantered around...how about a cookbook?? where we could all put a favourite recipe and profits could go to jduk (for the kids) ...a very simple non flashy format ...a school i worked in once did it and it was hugely successful

Funnily enough a couple of the mums on the cwd email group did a calendar for Christmas, it was brilliant. My Jessica was Miss December !

They are now already talking of a cookery book for 2010. Lots of the mums bake from scratch so would be a good thing.

Can never have enough cook books though. 🙂

I'm just glad there's hardly any Sticky's. One forum I visit the first page and half are all sticky's.

...The sub-forums box at the top of the main page is taking a lot of space, now there is a seperate forum does it need to be identified and taking up this space now we know there is a pumping section? Removing this sub-forums section would allow another 3-4 threads to be visible at the top of the page.

It's a function of the forum software David - it could be much more effiecient spacewise. I think we need to leave it as is as the point of it was to provide an easily identifiable place for people with pumping questions and experiences.

We have a thread for recipes, could carb counting (or carbcounting) be put with that? Not sure how it would work, and I can see the potential for a big muddle too.

Why not rename the recipies section "Recipies and Diet"?

THIS is a great idea. And the bump it up top?

It's a popular and, I think, very workable option!🙂

Evening Troops you got my little tired grey matter working here, well in summary here are my thoughts on this discussion...

I like simplicity too, so would not be in favour of loads of sections subsections stickies and whatever. Isn't there a 3 click rule in website design if anything is more than 3 clicks away people may not bother with?

I think DVLA and books and recipies are valid boards, agree gallery is perhaps unused, is the competition bit really going to take off?

I like the pumping subbie, but feel now it should be a board itself?

I can't see the point of a carb counting board at all, sorry! Carb values can be found from a whole host of websites books etc, and how they work is so varied to us all, hence the usefulness of being able to post in the main board and get a response royal mail would be proud of.

I do however think the idea of a Information board is excellent, which could have things added to, but once again the problem that I see is people adding to threads and going off subject (hands up I know I am a prime suspect here!) so it's hard for the reader to find all the information in a snapshot.

I think that's what I was thinking and wanting to say, if I think of anthing else I' pop back in 🙂 Otherwise I'm pouring myself a glass of vino.

In my opinion less is more. It already takes ages trawling through all the existing areas. I really think we're fine as we are and don't need to add more.

I think DVLA and books and recipies are valid boards, agree gallery is perhaps unused, is the competition bit really going to take off?

I like the pumping subbie, but feel now it should be a board itself?

I can't see the point of a carb counting board at all, sorry! Carb values can be found from a whole host of websites books etc, and how they work is so varied to us all, hence the usefulness of being able to post in the main board and get a response royal mail would be proud of.

Rossi, I think the idea behind the carb counting board is in a seperate post by Bev earlier on today - it was more about real world explanation to people who are struggling, for example the double peak of pizza and how to cope with it.

I agree the Collins carb book is great and far more use than running to a computer.

However, there are people who get a few hours of a carb counting course and that's it.

So, there are people like you and I who cope well with carb counting, know the basics of how to apply it and just get on with it, well, I'm making assumptions about you there. But there are many who can't or are new to insulin.

I do think combining it with diet is a sensible option.

Books I agree could bite the dust, it needs a home somewhere, but DVLA is quite important as it has a significant input for a lot of people and in one way or another many of the questions that could be asked have been and have been answered. So it may get a lot of read hits, while not many posts.

I think the gallery section is waste land as too is the competition area. So there is some reasonable reorganisation that can be deployed quite simply I think.

Oh and recipes, that's diet isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back