Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear about your husband @Annette&Bertie :(

Hope the enormous pile of ‘sadmin’ isn’t too difficult for you. It was unexpected and seemingly never-ending for me when my wife died.

Hope your assessments go OK and put your mind at rest.

So sorry to hear about your husband @Annette&Bertie :(

Hope the enormous pile of ‘sadmin’ isn’t too difficult for you. It was unexpected and seemingly never-ending for me when my wife died.

Hope your assessments go OK and put your mind at rest.
Thank you so much, yes I told a friend even if you think or know someone is dying when the time comes it is 'sudden' and I don't believe we are ever prepared for it, now now I'm a widow.

The statins discussion is fascinating. My numbers are,all good but the TC is 6. It was explained how all normal numbers could return a total cholesterol of 6. I sort of got it. The GP wanted me to start on statins and I said i would consider it. The point of this tale is when I told the DN she simply said, oh if you don't like them you can throw them away. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

I too was in the "you have diabetes and are over 40 years old therefore the advice is that you must have statins" camp.
However, the consultant who read this out to me explained this is based on studies for people who do no or little exercise and are overweight.
There was no research into the risk reduction through use of statins for very active slim people like myself.
Likewise, she explained that I am within my rights to decline the statins - it is my body ad I can chose what I put in it.

I declined at that point and my decision was put on record. There has been no discussion of statins since. There has also been no concern with my cholesterol levels and I continue to be healthy taking insulin as my only medication.

Thank you so much, yes I told a friend even if you think or know someone is dying when the time comes it is 'sudden' and I don't believe we are ever prepared for it, now now I'm a widow.

Wishing you all the best at a very difficult time. Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back