Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped statins two months ago after researching them online and informed DR what I was doing so they arranged a test recently, tx me to say pls go back on them as cholesterol has gone up, see my stats in my signature. So I am now halving the tablets to 10mg along with a high dose of herbal plant based stenos and will get a private test in two months, if its under 5 I will stop the 10mg statins and stay on the plant based ones then test in 2 mths again.

Really don't want to be on them Liver results never come back normal although numbers have dropped to near normal (Fatty Liver) but still need a Fibro scan at some point so statins will not be helping that and I can't stop my high dose anti depressants because I will get very ill.

I know that not everyone have problems with statins, but let me inform anyone who thinks my problems were simply the usual aches and pains in muscles that these people are wrong. My problems with statins ceased within 2 days of stopping them, and my GP had no problems with me stopping them. The simple truth is even after all the research points to the fact that most people have no problem or if they do hardly noticed by them, but for those who do have problems they most certainly notice.

I know that not everyone have problems with statins, but let me inform anyone who thinks my problems were simply the usual aches and pains in muscles that these people are wrong. My problems with statins ceased within 2 days of stopping them, and my GP had no problems with me stopping them. The simple truth is even after all the research points to the fact that most people have no problem or if they do hardly noticed by them, but for those who do have problems they most certainly notice.
I have statins listed as an allergy in my medical history due to the side effects they gave me, it wasn’t just a bit of an ache, I struggled to walk at all from the pain.

I have statins listed as an allergy in my medical history due to the side effects they gave me, it wasn’t just a bit of an ache, I struggled to walk at all from the pain.
Me too!

Thank you Lucy, me too it is side by side with my penicillin allergy from which I almost died through anaphylaxis

Thank you Lucy, me too it is side by side with my penicillin allergy from which I almost died through anaphylaxis
My only other allergy listed is empagliflozin, which is a diabetes drug that gave me ketoacidosis!

After many years of suffering and complications, my husband passed away on the evening of 30th June, so I am in the throws of arrangements etc. The week my husband died I was told I had a murmur so off to the assessment unit at the local hospital where they said my BP was too high - it has been for years, and a chest x-ray showed that I had a "slightly" enlarged heart, so I now have to have an Echocardiogram which I have postponed due to my husband's death. I think they suspect I have aortic problems, but I have none of the symptoms i.e. breathlessness etc. I go to have this now on the 26th of July. I'm worried sick, however, I am more worried about my mobility problems which have got worse since March but they don't seem to be bothered. No matter what is wrong with me, and that includes my arthritis of hips and spine, I will never have surgery. Most people will think that odd, but I made my mind up a long time ago mainly because of what I've witnessed.

I really tried with statins - 3 different sorts over 18 months. In the end I was taken off them and my medical notes say "Severely reactive to statins". The nurse actually told me my side effects were the worst the practise had seen - not just pain but swelling, rashes, incontinence, muscle wastage. Now I take plant based alternatives, but it took 9 months before I felt really well again. I know other people who have had side effects like memory loss and disorientation, and others who have no side effects at all. You don't know until you try them.

I had no issue with statins.
Personally, I have no interest in cholesterol "ratios"
You can still have good "ratios" with your cholesterol through the roof.
If you get the numbers right, the ratios will automatically be correct.

After many years of suffering and complications, my husband passed away on the evening of 30th June, so I am in the throws of arrangements etc. The week my husband died I was told I had a murmur so off to the assessment unit at the local hospital where they said my BP was too high - it has been for years, and a chest x-ray showed that I had a "slightly" enlarged heart, so I now have to have an Echocardiogram which I have postponed due to my husband's death. I think they suspect I have aortic problems, but I have none of the symptoms i.e. breathlessness etc. I go to have this now on the 26th of July. I'm worried sick, however, I am more worried about my mobility problems which have got worse since March but they don't seem to be bothered. No matter what is wrong with me, and that includes my arthritis of hips and spine, I will never have surgery. Most people will think that odd, but I made my mind up a long time ago mainly because of what I've witnessed.
Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear of your loss, it must be so hard to come to terms with and then on top of that your own health issues.
I hope you have some family to support you and help with all the stuff that has to be done in those circumstances.
Words never really say enough.

My Total Cholesterol is always an inconveniently large number, but my component parts are all pretty good, with some ideal. My ratios are also very good.

I have recently taken part in the PREDICT Study (https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and...aries/research-summaries/the-predict-study-2/ - target participant numbers now increased to 650), being run out of the Cardiac Research Centre at Leicester. It is looking into heart failure in those living with T2 diabetes.

The study includes a smaller cohort of those with an historic T2 diagnosis, now in remission. I am part of this smaller cohort.

During that study I had Echocardiogram, EGC, Stress ECG, CT scan, including arterial calcium scoring, MRI and MRI Adenosine stress test, a whooooole bucket load of bloods, measurements and weighing in. That's one heck of a cardiac MOT. It was a really fascinating day and I learned a LOT.

On the day my Total Cholesterol was 7.3. My breakdowns were the usual good numbers, but I was dreading the discussion around it, as I'm another who is not a statin fan. I respect others' decisions to take them, but for me, the arguments would have to be compelling.

Anyway, my concern wasn't required. My lipid panel was discussed at some length, with the cardiologist declaring he saw no need for me to consider statins at this time, but if I had any cardiac history, or an event, he would think differently.

In my view, the "all people with diabetes should take statins" approach is a lazy one. One size doesn't fit all.

p.s. - the study is still recruiting participants.

I had an in depth conversation with my pharmacist ( who I have known since my childhood ) at the time when I was first diagnosed type 2 . He told me what to expect from the metformin , stomach upsets and dashing for the loo but said to try for a few weeks and if it didn't settle to get it changed to slow release metformin .
The statins he told me that on rare occasions it does have side effects .
So 6 months on my muscles had wasted away to the point were I could put my hand around my upper arms and 2 hands around my thighs and every joint in my body ached . I went back to speak with him about this and he was quite certain just by looking at me that this was down to the statins and to speak to my doctor asap .
I decided to stop the statins immediately and felt better within days . My doctor couldn't really answer my questions ?
I have never been a small guy I'm 6ft rugby player build and was maybe 2 stone over weight but fit and healthy in every other way apart from the type 2 so I know I did not imagine my statin side effects

@Annette&Bertie So sorry to hear about your husband and to have more worries about your own health too. Thinking of you and sending you my best wishes during this difficult time.

@Annette&Bertie So very sorry to read of your sad loss. I hope family and friends, especially your furry friends, are able to give you some comfort and support and that the tests show something which is easily resolved with your own heart health. Sending virtual (((HUGS)))

@Billy Bob How well controlled is your diabetes? The sort of weight loss you describe can often be associated with Type 1 diabetes and it is not uncommon for some Type 1 diabetics to be misdiagnosed as Type 2 when it develops later in life. If your BG levels are running high (Don't know if you self test at home or rely on HbA1c results) despite lifestyle changes and/or medication it might be worth enquiring about Type 1 testing. I was shocked at how I lost muscle mass on my arms and legs through Type 1 diabetes (I wasn't on statins) and each time I looked down i didn't recognise my limbs as they were so reduced in mass and having been muscular all my life it was a strange to experience.

@Billy Bob How well controlled is your diabetes? The sort of weight loss you describe can often be associated with Type 1 diabetes and it is not uncommon for some Type 1 diabetics to be misdiagnosed as Type 2 when it develops later in life. If your BG levels are running high (Don't know if you self test at home or rely on HbA1c results) despite lifestyle changes and/or medication it might be worth enquiring about Type 1 testing. I was shocked at how I lost muscle mass on my arms and legs through Type 1 diabetes (I wasn't on statins) and each time I looked down i didn't recognise my limbs as they were so reduced in mass and having been muscular all my life it was a strange to experience.
I've gained my muscle back now
I do self test and am generally between 6 and 8 I tend to spike at around 9 to 11 if I have eaten the wrong thing .
I am about 14.9 stone now were I was about 17 stone when first diagnosed my last HBC1A in march was 49 from 99 about 7 years ago medication wise I take 1000mg sakato , 2.5mg Ramipril am . 500mg sakato pm and once a week Ozempic 0.50 mg injected
I was on Gliclazide 80mg twice a day from January after recovering from Covid ( as my bloods were in the high 20's ) until recently but my HGV licence was under review so my DN swapped the Gliclazide for the Ozempic as it is not on the DVLA's list and my drivers licence is my living
I try to keep to a low carb diet but can be quite difficult when doing long haul
I'm a work in progress 🙄

@Annette&Bertie So very sorry to read of your sad loss. I hope family and friends, especially your furry friends, are able to give you some comfort and support and that the tests show something which is easily resolved with your own heart health. Sending virtual (((HUGS)))
Thank you so much it is a hard time but my husband Harry is at peace now after years of suffering which got worse from April, despite all this tgere is a huge void in my life. Thank you for your kind thoughts❤️❤️

I've gained my muscle back now
I do self test and am generally between 6 and 8 I tend to spike at around 9 to 11 if I have eaten the wrong thing .
I am about 14.9 stone now were I was about 17 stone when first diagnosed my last HBC1A in march was 49 from 99 about 7 years ago medication wise I take 1000mg sakato , 2.5mg Ramipril am . 500mg sakato pm and once a week Ozempic 0.50 mg injected
I was on Gliclazide 80mg twice a day from January after recovering from Covid ( as my bloods were in the high 20's ) until recently but my HGV licence was under review so my DN swapped the Gliclazide for the Ozempic as it is not on the DVLA's list and my drivers licence is my living
I try to keep to a low carb diet but can be quite difficult when doing long haul
I'm a work in progress 🙄
I wish you well, my brother is ten years younger than me, he is 63 and has been a type 2 since he was 42, but is having difficulties. He drives from Scotland to Heathrow etc., so it is a big thing for him too. Hope things work better for you.

My Total Cholesterol is always an inconveniently large number, but my component parts are all pretty good, with some ideal. My ratios are also very good.

I have recently taken part in the PREDICT Study (https://www.hra.nhs.uk/planning-and...aries/research-summaries/the-predict-study-2/ - target participant numbers now increased to 650), being run out of the Cardiac Research Centre at Leicester. It is looking into heart failure in those living with T2 diabetes.

The study includes a smaller cohort of those with an historic T2 diagnosis, now in remission. I am part of this smaller cohort.

During that study I had Echocardiogram, EGC, Stress ECG, CT scan, including arterial calcium scoring, MRI and MRI Adenosine stress test, a whooooole bucket load of bloods, measurements and weighing in. That's one heck of a cardiac MOT. It was a really fascinating day and I learned a LOT.

On the day my Total Cholesterol was 7.3. My breakdowns were the usual good numbers, but I was dreading the discussion around it, as I'm another who is not a statin fan. I respect others' decisions to take them, but for me, the arguments would have to be compelling.

Anyway, my concern wasn't required. My lipid panel was discussed at some length, with the cardiologist declaring he saw no need for me to consider statins at this time, but if I had any cardiac history, or an event, he would think differently.

In my view, the "all people with diabetes should take statins" approach is a lazy one. One size doesn't fit all.

p.s. - the study is still recruiting participants.
As you say, if the numbers are good, the ratios take care of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back