Statins

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So 1 week in taking statin no side effects so far, take it late evening which consultant advised.

In way feel better for taking it knowing that it has anti inflammatory properties & will lessen chances of heart attack stroke occuring, usually active & eat mostly healthy food so every little helps, will keep updated.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but it took a month before my 1st symptoms started, and my cousin is now beginning to notice joint pain and fatigue symptoms after taking them for over a year.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but it took a month before my 1st symptoms started, and my cousin is now beginning to notice joint pain and fatigue symptoms after taking them for over a year.

Thanks, hoping no side effects occur further down road.

Seems like most drugs majority can tolerate them others not so, just like food suppose.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, it is thought that up to 70% of people can theoretically tolerate statins.
However the figures for people keeping on taking them after several years is below 50%, so even that 'tolerate' them are probably not free from side effects.

On a personal note, I would rather die quickly like my dad than live for many years with Statin side effects etc that made me wish I was dead, in the hope of living an extra 1.7 days.

Statins do reduce Cardio deaths (a tiny amount), they do reduce LDL, but they do not reduce all cause mortality.
I thought about that and made my own decision.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, it is thought that up to 70% of people can theoretically tolerate statins.
However the figures for people keeping on taking them after several years is below 50%, so even that 'tolerate' them are probably not free from side effects.

On a personal note, I would rather die quickly like my dad than live for many years with Statin side effects etc that made me wish I was dead, in the hope of living an extra 1.7 days.

Statins do reduce Cardio deaths (a tiny amount), they do reduce LDL, but they do not reduce all cause mortality.
I thought about that and made my own decision.
Yes, just like me. I had no quality of life, being a housebound, incontinent, pain racked, bloated wreck. It took a year to recover from the side effects. Also I took the view that the heart is a muscle, and if statins had such a bad effect on my bowel and other muscles, what were they really doing to my heart muscle? But it's an individual choice, and for some people like my cousin, it's actually the lesser of the evils. She had brain surgery and has no choice.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
End of week 3 no side effects to speak of.

Being on pump bg levels overnight usually good, taking statin before bed did think this might change but hasn't done.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well statin taken as off to bed soon, month in no side effects.

Going to keep going on them, see no reason not to, pays to take lightly other peoples experience & try them yourself, same as any other drug.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tomorrow is 2 months since starting statin, not forgotten dose yet & still no side effects.

Admittedly apprehensive before taking first dose but pleased took it, getting bloods checked next month for liver function, not worried as sure all will be good.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well 4 months in now still no side effects, how time flies.

Appointment was cancelled for liver check, due A1c test next few weeks so will get done at same time.