Statins

missclb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yep, I'm afraid being in your 40s and being diabetic means they want to start that conversation with you. My HDL 'good' cholesterol is 2.26 but my new surgery want me to consider statins too. I'm mulling it over, but right now, I'm inclined to steer clear.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had the memory problems - I was very very scared because I thought the doc would diagnose Alzheimer's. When mid sentence one day I could not remember my only sister's name (I'd only had her for 58 years at that time so that terrified me) I'd had enough. By then I'd lost my job - I was losing complete days when I promised to do things and then hadn't done them and because forgotten things were forever rearing their ugly heads I always had to check everything I did at least twice and frankly - I just couldn't cope with anything. Yes I 'took' insulin but I didn't see how it could be that really; and I took two different tablets - both supposed to be preventative at the time - BP and a statin. It must be one of them because they are the only 'different' thing I'm doing now that I haven't always done. So at bedtime I did eeny meeny miny mo to pick which one to try stopping to take first and the statin (had been changed to Simvastatin as Atorvastatin was too expensive for the NHS) happened to 'win' so I tried giving that up first.

Memory improved within a fortnight really though it took quite a lot more weeks to get back to where it should have been and reliably stay there.

We're all going to die - dying is a Fact of Life! so if I die of something statins might have possibly prevented on my own head be it - though it's difficult to see on whose except that dead person's head, their death rests on anyway?.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had the memory problems - I was very very scared because I thought the doc would diagnose Alzheimer's. When mid sentence one day I could not remember my only sister's name (I'd only had her for 58 years at that time so that terrified me) I'd had enough. By then I'd lost my job - I was losing complete days when I promised to do things and then hadn't done them and because forgotten things were forever rearing their ugly heads I always had to check everything I did at least twice and frankly - I just couldn't cope with anything. Yes I 'took' insulin but I didn't see how it could be that really; and I took two different tablets - both supposed to be preventative at the time - BP and a statin. It must be one of them because they are the only 'different' thing I'm doing now that I haven't always done. So at bedtime I did eeny meeny miny mo to pick which one to try stopping to take first and the statin (had been changed to Simvastatin as Atorvastatin was too expensive for the NHS) happened to 'win' so I tried giving that up first.

Memory improved within a fortnight really though it took quite a lot more weeks to get back to where it should have been and reliably stay there.

We're all going to die - dying is a Fact of Life! so if I die of something statins might have possibly prevented on my own head be it - though it's difficult to see on whose except that dead person's head, their death rests on anyway?.

FWIW, some of the studies suggest lipophilic statins like ator and sim might be more of an issue for memory loss etc than hydrophilic ones like rosu, perhaps because they supposedly cross the blood-brain barrier more easily & might screw up brain cholesterol.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I attempted to discuss same with my GP once Eddy, I said I've been told that some of them do cross the blood/brain barrier and some apparently don't hence if you really want me to consider taking one again, you will need to tell me which one or ones absolutely don't cross it. Which one or ones is it then? He just looked at me and said I can't possibly tell you that. I replied well in that case I can't possibly seriously consider it then.

And there it was left. And there its stayed ever since!

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I attempted to discuss same with my GP once Eddy, I said I've been told that some of them do cross the blood/brain barrier and some apparently don't hence if you really want me to consider taking one again, you will need to tell me which one or ones absolutely don't cross it. Which one or ones is it then? He just looked at me and said I can't possibly tell you that. I replied well in that case I can't possibly seriously consider it then.

And there it was left. And there its stayed ever since!

Again FWIW, this recent review is interesting on the question: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5830056/

And not to be nanny-Eddy, but with PAD/claudication ....

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had call from gp surgery to say must come in to see Dr to discuss statins, asked what about them as don't take em, receptionist couldn't say anymore than that so booked in for 2 weeks time.

Thing is cholesterol is all good as is bp, never has been issue, so wondering what reason they want to discuss statins, age possibly or time living with condition, best be good one cause don't want to take otherwise
I’ve just had the same conversation with my GP. Seems that NICE want all Type 1s over 40, or who have had diabetes for more than 10 years, to take them.
What did you decide in the end?
GP told me to go away and do some research, so I have.
All I’ve come up with specifically regarding Type 1, is that
1) We know Type 1s have more cardiac issues and die earlier than the general population.
2) We need to do more research to find out why.
3) In the meantime, go away and take statins, you never know, it might help!
I'm unwilling to go back on them, I tried once before, and got pains in my arms and legs. My GP (a new one, I’ve not actually seen her in the flesh) was very insistant on the phone that she could find me one that didn’t cause side effects, but...
My BP is fine, Cholesterol ratios optimal, though total is 6.0. No family history of heart disease. Both my parents lived to their mid-ninieties, with increasingly failing faculties, until the only healthy bit left of them was that their hearts were still beating.

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I take Atorvastatin following having plaque removal from an artery (plus aspirin). Have had no problems; however my memory is appalling (though has been since before taking them) which has got worse. Wonder if this could be the cause. I am 58, early (ish) dementia in the family. Never married the two up before

Matt J

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When diagnosed just over two years ago (at the age of 42) my cholesterol was just over 5. I was told by my consultant that if I wasn't diabetic that 'score' would be perfectly fine, but could cause problems in the future for a diabetic. High cholesterol runs in my Mums side of the family. My Nan and a couple of her sisters suffered strokes as well as 'mild' heart attacks when they were in their 80s. My Nan was active and physically fit well into her 90s (her time in the ATS during WWII meant that she had a fairly regimented schedule starting at 6 each day throughout her life, even when she was in her care home). Statins dragged her cholesterol down from double figures and potentially saved her. My Mums cholesterol was checked after my Nan had her stroke and it was around 7. She's been on statins ever since without side effects and when she asked her doctor if she could come off them he replied "only if you want to risk a stroke like other members of your family". I'm on Atorvastatin, but my dose of 40 was recently reduced to 20 as my cholesterol is currently 2.6. I am unaware of side effects, but my wife has said that when my BG is low my memory isn't great. Not sure if it's a hypo or a statin side effect as I have been on statins since diabetes diagnosis.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am unaware of side effects, but my wife has said that when my BG is low my memory isn't great. Not sure if it's a hypo or a statin side effect as I have been on statins since diabetes diagnosis.
Sounds like the hypo effect, my brain always slows right down if my BG is low, I can’t get my thoughts in order, and I start tripping over my words. Its hard to tell if side effects are due to medication. OH started statins because of an 'event' and I sometimes think he’s not good at processing instructions these days, but it might be the result of 35 years of marriage!

Matt J

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like the hypo effect, my brain always slows right down if my BG is low, I can’t get my thoughts in order, and I start tripping over my words. Its hard to tell if side effects are due to medication. OH started statins because of an 'event' and I sometimes think he’s not good at processing instructions these days, but it might be the result of 35 years of marriage!

I have also attributed it to having a 3 year old who hasn't been sleeping well during lockdown and so our sleep patterns are all over the place! She woke 3 times on Saturday night, but then slept through from 7pm until 6:30am last night!

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just had the same conversation with my GP. Seems that NICE want all Type 1s over 40, or who have had diabetes for more than 10 years, to take them.
1) We know Type 1s have more cardiac issues and die earlier than the general population.
I'm unwilling to go back on them, I tried once before, and got pains in my arms and legs. My GP (a new one, I’ve not actually seen her in the flesh) was very insistant on the phone that she could find me one that didn’t cause side effects, but...
My BP is fine, Cholesterol ratios optimal, though total is 6.0. No family history of heart disease. Both my parents lived to their mid-ninieties, with increasingly failing faculties, until the only healthy bit left of them was that their hearts were still beating.

All on hold Robin.

Had bloods taken in April, total cholesterol 4.2 with ratios all good, Dr was supposed to be contacting me week after but never heard owt, expect coronovirus has put things on hold.

Due to crisis diabetes appointment at hospital was cancelled last week, from diabetes perspective intended to ask Consultants view on things, just going to hold off for now.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All on hold Robin.

Had bloods taken in April, total cholesterol 4.2 with ratios all good, Dr was supposed to be contacting me week after but never heard owt, expect coronovirus has put things on hold.

Due to crisis diabetes appointment at hospital was cancelled last week, from diabetes perspective intended to ask Consultants view on things, just going to hold off for now.
Thank you. I've also had a hospital appointment cancelled. I asked for it mainly so I could request the Libre on prescription ( I currently self fund) but was going to take the opportunity to discuss my regime generally. I think I will add Statins to the list of things to discuss when I eventually get a rescheduled appointment, and tell my GP I’ve put them on hold for the time being.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I used to take Simvastatin. Quite early in my Diabetes career, the top limit was 5.0 total cholesterol. When I got down to 3.1 with good ratios I stopped them. I'm still quite low, no worries, so I see no need to take them. Unlike most people, I know what's going to cause my death eventually.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Spoken with Consultant today, despite cholesterol being normal they think I should take statin to reduce risk of heart attack stroke, did Qrisk taking into consideration all factors, score was 20 which is high apparently.

Says side effects are few & usually occur in first 6 weeks, if need be can change to alternative if they occur, even stop them. All things considered going to take prescription, dont want to put myself at heightened risk of heart attack stroke, seen the damage they cause & how they ruin lives.

Gappy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctors have noted my reluctance to take statins. A couple of years ago I reluctantly started taking them, found that my vision was awful. I had to have the newspaper at full arms length to read it. So I stopped them and haven't had much opposition from the doctor so must be doing ok. Of 11 people I know only 1 hasn't had problems. So there is the risk/ reward decision to be made- I'm having another test soon so probably another discussion!

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My bitter experience was that if you have a bad reaction to one statin, you will have an equally bad reaction to others. I tried 3 different ones over a period of 18 months and had what my GP surgery described as "the worst side effects they had seen" from anyone on statins. My notes are now marked "severely reactive to statins". That still doesn't stop every GP from trying to get me to take them again, so I tell them quite bluntly I would rather have quality of life than quantity. Good luck if you can find one that doesn't give you side effects.

Reactions: Ljc

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My bitter experience was that if you have a bad reaction to one statin, you will have an equally bad reaction to others. I tried 3 different ones over a period of 18 months and had what my GP surgery described as "the worst side effects they had seen" from anyone on statins. My notes are now marked "severely reactive to statins". That still doesn't stop every GP from trying to get me to take them again, so I tell them quite bluntly I would rather have quality of life than quantity. Good luck if you can find one that doesn't give you side effects.
I too tried a couple of different ones, did not find one that suited me.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Although I have definitely recovered after taking statins for about 5 weeks back in 2016 in that I am learning new things, I am still discovering that I have forgotten things - I have a beautiful silk embroidery that I can't remember how to complete, and I remember that I remembered things but I can't recall the original any more. I have photographs of people I don't know.
My mother in law lived for many years in a care home, gradually forgetting everything. She was a diabetic and prescribed Metformin and a statin and I do wonder now just how much of the problem was the tablets.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So 1 week in taking statin no side effects so far, take it late evening which consultant advised.

In way feel better for taking it knowing that it has anti inflammatory properties & will lessen chances of heart attack stroke occuring, usually active & eat mostly healthy food so every little helps, will keep updated.