Statins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading all your interesting messages about statins. I have been a Type 1 diabetic since 1976 (yes, for 33 years!) I am in a dilemma. My cholestrol is creeping up now that I am in my 40s. It was 4.3 in June and 4.5 on 19 Oct (the good & bad cholesterol levels are acceptable). Another measurement will be taken for my Diabetic Clinic in January 2010.

I have received mixed advice from the medics! Some diabetics take statins after 10 years of diabetes, whatever their cholesterol level.

If you are female, the risk of heart attack generally increases after the menopause (due to hormonal changes). So another option is to wait until this change and then take statins, as long as your cholesterol is in the acceptable range for a diabetic (below 5.0?).

In my family, both my parents (now in their 70s) had reactions to statins. This makes me cautious about taking them, although I am aware that there are different types that can be used. However, my consultant has said that if your parents have a reation to statins it does not mean that you will have a reaction to statins.

I start a DAFNE course in Sonerset on Monday (26-30 October), so perhaps I will be able to discuss this issue there.

Any comments welcome!

Thank you.

Sugarmouse

Can you reduce the level by diet, or are you already doing that? I was put on statins at the same time as all the diabetes pills. At that point my cholesterol level was 10.4, I'll find out on Monday if the pills and change in diet have helped at all. I do know I don't want to stay on statins a moment longer than absolutely necessary, I'm at that uncertain age and both parents died from cancer.

Hi Sugarmouse, personally I would be happy with those levels and there's always going to be some variability each time you are tested. I was 2.4 a year ago, then 3.2 last time. But from what I have read, unless it is actually high then the extra risk is small, and you do need to consider if the reduction in risk is worth the potential extra risk of taking statins.

This link gives quite a succinct overview of the cholesterol hypothesis:

http://www.wellnessclubsofamerica.com/Copy_of_Cholesterol_Low_Part_1_c.html

(because they give American measurements, you need to divide the numbers by 38 to get the near equivalent to ours)

You'd think that at the very least the medical fraternity would be in agreement, but to me it seems to depend on how closely they've studied the subject, or whether they are just following conventional wisdom without seeking out whether it is all 'pros' or 'pros and cons' that cholesterol must be driven ever lower.

Good luck on your DAFNE course - I hope you enjoy it!🙂

I saw the programme mentioned and I can honestly say have tried them all, and still take them! I have also had a stroke, it certainly opened my eyes to Statins!

Hugs Mo xx

Hi Sugarmouse, personally I would be happy with those levels and there's always going to be some variability each time you are tested. I was 2.4 a year ago, then 3.2 last time. But from what I have read, unless it is actually high then the extra risk is small, and you do need to consider if the reduction in risk is worth the potential extra risk of taking statins.

This link gives quite a succinct overview of the cholesterol hypothesis:

http://www.wellnessclubsofamerica.com/Copy_of_Cholesterol_Low_Part_1_c.html

(because they give American measurements, you need to divide the numbers by 38 to get the near equivalent to ours)

You'd think that at the very least the medical fraternity would be in agreement, but to me it seems to depend on how closely they've studied the subject, or whether they are just following conventional wisdom without seeking out whether it is all 'pros' or 'pros and cons' that cholesterol must be driven ever lower.

Good luck on your DAFNE course - I hope you enjoy it!🙂

Hi Northerner

Thanks for that! I won't have to make a decision until January about whether I start taking statins. So I have some time to do some research to make an informed choice. I will start by looking at the link you quoted....

From Sugarmouse

Can you reduce the level by diet, or are you already doing that? I was put on statins at the same time as all the diabetes pills. At that point my cholesterol level was 10.4, I'll find out on Monday if the pills and change in diet have helped at all. I do know I don't want to stay on statins a moment longer than absolutely necessary, I'm at that uncertain age and both parents died from cancer.

Hi AlisonM

I hope that your results on Monday show that your tablets have helped reduce your cholesterol level. I am very sorry to hear about your parents.
Thank you for the suggestion about diet. I have received different advice about whether reducing fat in the diet helps lower cholesterol levels. Some say diet can help. Others say that diet has a minimal effect as your body decides how much cholesterol to produce (genetic link?). However, there is always room to reduce the saturated fat in my diet. I love cheese! I do try and stick to the softer ones like camembert, but I suppose I could opt for cottage cheese...
As mentioned I start a DAFNE course on Monday, where there will be a number of dietitians I can ask. And good luck with the results on Monday.

From Sugarmouse

Thanks Northerner very interesting programme.

This is very interesting...wait till the statin rep comes by my pharmacy next time...hehehe.
I have to say i'm skeptical. It's clear that high cholesterol is a factor in atherosclerosis and i think that Statins have been proven to reduce deaths from blocked arteries (and DVT/ Strokes i guess) in some people. I'm not sure exactly how this applies to me since i like to think i'm far from elderly (under 35). As far as i can tell, the NICE guidlines say that diabetes should take statins anyway. I'm slightly worried about all this "unproved drug" business though. As far as i'm aware, all drugs, modern drugs anyway, i don't think Paracetmol ever got clinical trials, have to go through extensive trials to test effectiveness and toxicity before they get given out on prescription to the general public.
Saying this, i'm on statins, but i was worried that they were giving me cramps to my GP told me to stop taking them for a bit, so i have. Last blood test said my cholesterol was "normal" so, i figure they work even when i don't take em...Which is great coz it means no side effects...

This is very interesting...wait till the statin rep comes by my pharmacy next time...hehehe.
I have to say i'm skeptical. It's clear that high cholesterol is a factor in atherosclerosis and i think that Statins have been proven to reduce deaths from blocked arteries (and DVT/ Strokes i guess) in some people....

Dear RacheIT,

Have you seen this:

Cholesterol does not cause CVD

The data comes from the WHO and you can't get better than that

Warmest Regards Dodger

Last edited:
seen what????..................it's a shy quote!!!!!!!:D

Lol, if you hover your mouse over "Cholesterol does not cause CVD" in the post, that is the link! :D

xx

seen what????..................it's a shy quote!!!!!!!:D

Dear Dave,

I just tested it and it's OK. On my machine I have to click on the words "Cholesterol does not cause CVD"

Warmest Regards Dodger :D

Last edited:
Cholesterol don't cause DVT

sorry, that was the extrapolation/random thought processes of somebody without a medical degree. It was a thought rather than a fact. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Also, my dumb internet roving dongle thingy won't let me go on YouTube so i'll take your word for it.

sorry, that was the extrapolation/random thought processes of somebody without a medical degree. It was a thought rather than a fact. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. Also, my dumb internet roving dongle thingy won't let me go on YouTube so i'll take your word for it.

Dear RacheIT,

LOL, I didn't realise that "dumb internet roving dongle thingies" were so limited in bandwidth :D

Warmest Regards Dodger

PS We can only express opinions, no apology necessary! :D

Last edited:
I, for one, have never been that convinced about statins. Although my cholesterol is relatively low, at 4.1, I have been advised to take them a number of times in recent years. I have only spoken with one GP who was not particularly in favour. She felt it was being promoted as a ?cradle to grave? drug and that most of the research seemed to have the hand of the manufacturer on it! A friend is ordering this book and I will read it ?idc?.

Although I found the video interesting I think the inclusion of aborigines not really relevant. Until 150/200 yeas ago they were hunter/gatherers. The incoming Europeans severely limited their lifestyle and this has had adverse effects on their health. The rate of heart disease amongst aborigines is far higher than those of European descent. Factors that affect this are a sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, high alcohol consumption and higher than usual incidences of high BP, diabetes, and rheumatic heart disease. Apologies for going into rant mode. A distant cousin lives in Adelaide and when I visited Australia a few years ago I found the treatment of aborigines worse than I had imagined. Many men die around 40, not dissimilar to the grimmer parts of Africa.

Overall heart disease is a complex issue to which statins are not a cure-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back