Some people worry me.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you may recently, my father has just been diagnosed T2.

Earlier, Dad was speaking to a friend on the 'phone, and told her he had diabetes - the reply, 'well, what do you expect, you always had a sweet tooth'

AAAGH!!!!!!!

I wish I could publish something explainmg diet is NOT the only factor in T2

Can't people be unsympathetic?

I told an old friend that I had diabetes and got a lecture on losing weight and eating the right things, despite the fact I told her I weighed 8st 4 at the time!

Seems to be something in the air today, I'll never understand why some people struggle to self censure their silly comments.

Seems to be something quite specific to diabetes too, can't think of many conditions where there seems to be such a sense of 'blame' that seems to be freely attached to it.

Seems to be something in the air today, I'll never understand why some people struggle to self censure their silly comments.

Seems to be something quite specific to diabetes too, can't think of many conditions where there seems to be such a sense of 'blame' that seems to be freely attached to it.

I personally feel that DUK have a hell of a lot to answer for. Their campaigns are all about diabetes, never put 1 or 2, but always mentions weight and obesity, so not only does it do harm to the type 1 kiddies and type 1 adults but also to type 2 people on the whole.

Everyone person who reads these campaigns now thinks that all fat people will become type 2 and thin people won't. There is never anything else saying that thin people can as well, it is always about getting fit and losing weight and all that rubbish.

Then we have Change 4 Life, where DUK were the diabetes part of it and it was all wrong, didn't take the government long to change that when us mums created hell and DUK said nothing to do with them !

I think they have a lot to answer for.😡

There are a lot of people who think they know everything. When I told my mum she said I was just like my father-fat and lazy and what esles did we expect. I don't tell my mother things too often as I know how she will react. Even when I got pregnant (after being married for 5 years) she said well wasn't that a silly thing to do!

There was a very interesting article in the New Scientist recently about the fact that being overweight isn't a cause of diabetes but is merely the body's way of protecting itself from excess fat.

But before we start chomping down on all that lovely fatty, sugary food, they did go on to say that the damage to our bodies then came from the fact that the body can store only so much fat before damage starts to occur. The fat cells start to die and then release "an oil slick" into the blood stream. It is this which then can cause various metabolic diseases (including diabetes).

This then explains why some obese people don't get diabetes and why some thin people do (i.e. it is down to how they can cope with excess fat).

I have summarised from memory here, so may have got some details wrong.

Andy

What makes me sick is that the media have created an image of diabetic's as all being overweight couch potatoes who sit in front of the telly stuffing themselves with saturated fat and sugar rich foods. The sad thing is that non diabetics believe it!

It makes me mad 😡. When my hubby was diagnosed (10 years ago) a so-called friend looked him up and down and said "but you don't deserve it, your not fat!" we just stood there in stunned silence... One of my uni pals (who should know better as we do a lot about metabolism) turned round and said to me "how come you have d?, arent you doing well with your weight loss?, will it go away when you get to a normal weight?" I had to walk away...

But as Adrienne says the campaigns have a lot to answer for!

I had the best ever reply a few years ago when I 'came out' as being gay. I was asked by someone at work "is that because of your diabetes?"

Words failed me LOL

Andy

What makes me sick is that the media have created an image of diabetic's as all being overweight couch potatoes who sit in front of the telly stuffing themselves with saturated fat and sugar rich foods. The sad thing is that non diabetics believe it!

When I was first diagnosed I asked the practice nurse that gave me the diagnosis what I should do. She said eat less cake and sugary foods - she was a bit stumped when I said I hardly ate that kind of stuff anyway. And although I have lost 2 stone (and still have 2 to go) I got a look of amazement on Monday when I said I was T2.....

I had the best ever reply a few years ago when I 'came out' as being gay. I was asked by someone at work "is that because of your diabetes?"

Words failed me LOL

Andy

My mouth is hanging open - that is just amazing....

Words failed me LOL

Andy

OMG... that is classic... wonder if there is any truth in it, I came out as gay in 97 and was diagnosed diabetic in 99 .. I have moved on from gay and came out as transgendered in 2006 wonder if that can be put down to diabetes as well lol...

I haven't had many weird things said to me, my dad doesn't really understand diabetes and every time I go home he says hmmmm I don't know what you can eat with that thing you have, what's it called...

Nope, that can't be it surely? I'm as straight as a ruler and I'm diabetic, my dear pal who's gay isn't. Fred Phelps would love it if it was true.

Last edited:
Nope, that can't be it surely? I'm as straight as a ruler and I'm diabetic, my dear pal who's gay isn't. Harry Phelps would love it if it was true.

Love the avatar Alison... :D

OMG... that is classic... wonder if there is any truth in it, I came out as gay in 97 and was diagnosed diabetic in 99 .. I have moved on from gay and came out as transgendered in 2006 wonder if that can be put down to diabetes as well lol...

I haven't had many weird things said to me, my dad doesn't really understand diabetes and every time I go home he says hmmmm I don't know what you can eat with that thing you have, what's it called...
..... I think it is called an appetite Dad?😉

That story about diabetes making you gay would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic - so we are all fat, have no will power and now have developed confusion about our sexuality? How come some of us have to fight for the basic equipment to control our condition then - I thought they would be lining up to fling stuff our way, being so afflicted 😉

I personally feel that DUK have a hell of a lot to answer for. Their campaigns are all about diabetes, never put 1 or 2, but always mentions weight and obesity, so not only does it do harm to the type 1 kiddies and type 1 adults but also to type 2 people on the whole.

Everyone person who reads these campaigns now thinks that all fat people will become type 2 and thin people won't. There is never anything else saying that thin people can as well, it is always about getting fit and losing weight and all that rubbish.

Then we have Change 4 Life, where DUK were the diabetes part of it and it was all wrong, didn't take the government long to change that when us mums created hell and DUK said nothing to do with them !

I think they have a lot to answer for.😡

I completely agree with all that you have said...........And while im at it im thinking of cancelling my subscription. Sick and tired of being asked for money, I havent opened the last two issues of balance as feel is mainly geared to type 2s. Last resort someone actually telephoned me and was abput to ask for money and i told them in no uncertain terms never to call or pester me again. Such a shame 😡

Words failed me LOL

Andy

Sorry Andy but I am laughing really hard. That is by far the funniest, most ridiculous thing I have heard about this. I think words would also have failed me which is highly unusual.

Still laughing............

I wish you had said yes just for the sheer lunacy of the question. 🙂

Still laughing..............

And loving all the comments. Yep diabetes has a lot to answer for and now it is absolutely crystal clear that it affects the sex gene. Bev, Becca, Heidi etc etc we are the lucky parents because we know for sure what sexuality our kids will be when they grow up, we won't have to wait and wonder if perhaps they may be straight or gay, we know for sure because they have diabetes.

:D:D

Ok I'll stop laughing now, because in all seriousness this is just tragic, what people think is just unbelieveable and sad quite frankly !:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back