Sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctor gave me amitriptyline to help my sleeping but just picked it up from the chemist and looked it up and says it is an anti depressant, not sure if that will help my sleep and i am.not depressed so don't know what that is about ? X

Doctor gave me amitriptyline to help my sleeping but just picked it up from the chemist and looked it up and says it is an anti depressant, not sure if that will help my sleep and i am.not depressed so don't know what that is about ? X

it is also a muscle relaxant and definitely can make you sleepy. I was prescribed it many years ago for a really bad back spasm, but it is one of those multipurpose meds, that is a first line option for lots of issues. I take one occasionally when I am really stressed and it definitely makes me sleepy.

it is also a muscle relaxant and definitely can make you sleepy. I was prescribed it many years ago for a really bad back spasm, but it is one of those multipurpose meds, that is a first line option for lots of issues. I take one occasionally when I am really stressed and it definitely makes me sleepy.
Thank you for that, do you normally just take it before you go to bed then ? X

Yes, I do although I have occasionally taken them earlier in the day if I have been desperate for relief from muscle spasm. Best to be guided by your GP's instructions if they gave you any.

I haven’t slept properly since 1983! Nothing to do with diabetes, it’s just me. Started when I was pregnant for the first time, then it just became a way of life as I was up with the babies, (I have three). Then the peri menopause hit at 39 and the night sweats started. I’m also a mega worrier and once I’m awake my mind starts whirring and that’s it, no chance of going back to sleep. I also have bad shoulders, pelvis, hip and lower back problems, all things not conducive to a good night’s sleep. Two lots of major surgery and long stays in hospital hasn’t helped my sleep pattern. I’ve tried different pillows and bedding, windows open, windows shut, nothing makes a blind bit of difference, I sometimes get up and read but it stimulates me too much so I tend to just toss and turn and get up early and just sit on my bum. Which is fine now I’m retired but wasn’t good when I had to go to work! If I get 4/5 hours on the trot I’m a happy woman. As I read all that back it sounds awful, but as I said, it’s just normal for me and I’m used to it. On 28th October 2018 I slept through for eight hours, it’s that rare I remember the date! We’d taken our three eldest grandchildren to Spain for four nights, they were 11 and 6, I was obviously so exhausted on the night we came home I conked out! We’re taking our three youngest grandchildren to Blackpool next week for two nights, I’m hoping for a repeat! It’s a bit extreme ( and expensive) having to book a holiday with young children to get the required eight hours!

Let’s hope yours is just a blip and you’ll be back to having a good night’s sleep soon.
PS after reading all that you’ll soon be dropping off! 😉

Sleep clinic?

Treatment for underlying stress ?

God bless you x

I was prescribed them for leg pain, years ago when I was still at work. I took 1 in the morning, went to work and felt awful, nauseous, dizzy and nearly fainted. I went home and slept until after lunch, felt fine so went back to work. Next day I took it at night, slept all night and most of the next day but felt dreadful. I didn't take any more.
I think I am quite sensitive to 'drugs' can't take codeine either.

@kellie01 I was confused about this when I was prescribed it too. It works as an antidepressant at high doses (I think ~150mg) and promotes sleep/helps with pain at low doses. You’d think doctors would take the time to explain these things! What dose will you be on? I take 10mg x

I haven’t slept properly since 1983! Nothing to do with diabetes, it’s just me. Started when I was pregnant for the first time, then it just became a way of life as I was up with the babies, (I have three). Then the peri menopause hit at 39 and the night sweats started. I’m also a mega worrier and once I’m awake my mind starts whirring and that’s it, no chance of going back to sleep. I also have bad shoulders, pelvis, hip and lower back problems, all things not conducive to a good night’s sleep. Two lots of major surgery and long stays in hospital hasn’t helped my sleep pattern. I’ve tried different pillows and bedding, windows open, windows shut, nothing makes a blind bit of difference, I sometimes get up and read but it stimulates me too much so I tend to just toss and turn and get up early and just sit on my bum. Which is fine now I’m retired but wasn’t good when I had to go to work! If I get 4/5 hours on the trot I’m a happy woman. As I read all that back it sounds awful, but as I said, it’s just normal for me and I’m used to it. On 28th October 2018 I slept through for eight hours, it’s that rare I remember the date! We’d taken our three eldest grandchildren to Spain for four nights, they were 11 and 6, I was obviously so exhausted on the night we came home I conked out! We’re taking our three youngest grandchildren to Blackpool next week for two nights, I’m hoping for a repeat! It’s a bit extreme ( and expensive) having to book a holiday with young children to get the required eight hours!

Let’s hope yours is just a blip and you’ll be back to having a good night’s sleep soon.
PS after reading all that you’ll soon be dropping off! 😉
@kellie01 I was confused about this when I was prescribed it too. It works as an antidepressant at high doses (I think ~150mg) and promotes sleep/helps with pain at low doses. You’d think doctors would take the time to explain these things! What dose will you be on? I take 10mg x

10 mg , low dose for sleeping and muscular pain

Amazing drug

No. You need to take it 12 hours before you need to wake up.

I had a bad experience on it. I was prescribed it for fibromyalgia. I took it before I went to bed, I barely remember going in to town,remember walking past the church on my home...not good as I can't walk to far. I then woke up the next day still fully dressed and shopping still in shopping trolly. Never took them again and won't.

I had a bad experience on it. I was prescribed it for fibromyalgia. I took it before I went to bed, I barely remember going in to town,remember walking past the church on my home...not good as I can't walk to far. I then woke up the next day still fully dressed and shopping still in shopping trolly. Never took them again and won't.
Oh that is not good, doesn't seem to having an effect on me whatsoever yet x

Good morning, is it just me or do the rest of you struggle to sleep ? I tend to wake up about 3 and then go and sit downstairs and read until about 6 oclock and then go back to bed. I struggled before i went in hospital but that was mainly as i got the munchies during the night and also with my feet playimg up.during the night, i didn't sleep much in hospital but i find that you never do, but now i am back home i am still struggling, but at least i can nap in the afternoon if i need to while i am signed off work x
I had prob;ems sleeping while on a large ward some 30 years ago. the comings and goings kept waking me up. I was prescribed Temazapam wgich just gets you off to sleep. Got hooked on it and cannot sleep without it now. Most GPs will not prescribe it formore than 14 days now.

10 mg , low dose for sleeping and muscular pain

Amazing drug
Been taking these since Tuesday and not helping with my sleep at all. Only had about half an hours sleep last night and is doing my head in now. Don't suppose i can take 2 tablets at night instead ? A friend recommended the blue nytol's as said they are better than the green ones. Just want to sleep longer than 2 hours a night x

My
Been taking these since Tuesday and not helping with my sleep at all. Only had about half an hours sleep last night and is doing my head in now. Don't suppose i can take 2 tablets at night instead ? A friend recommended the blue nytol's as said they are better than the green ones. Just want to sleep longer than 2 hours a night x
My other half is using Boots Sleepeaze 50mg one per night which seem effective and cheaper than Nytol.
They are Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Of course there is advice about who should not take.

2 x 10mg at night is a very low dose but you should speak to whoever prescribed them before taking more or you will run out too early

Have you tried vitamin D3? Typical recommended is 3000iu every morning.

My

My other half is using Boots Sleepeaze 50mg one per night which seem effective and cheaper than Nytol.
They are Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. Of course there is advice about who should not take.
Got some of these to try tonight x

I had prob;ems sleeping while on a large ward some 30 years ago. the comings and goings kept waking me up. I was prescribed Temazapam wgich just gets you off to sleep. Got hooked on it and cannot sleep without it now. Most GPs will not prescribe it formore than 14 days now.

Temazepam ? Not amitriptyline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back