Sick as a dog, stupid meter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my optium exceed from the hospital, as this is what they recommend type 1s use for testing ketones. Have you asked your dsn?

I was hoping to get one on my annual review last week, but they cancelled it and have closed the clinic. I think the DSNs are now living in a dark, locked cupboard somewhere as I can only communicate with them by telephone and it seems a waste of their time to ring them up just to ask for a free meter. :(

We used to call people and record them saying 'Hello?...hello?...anyone there?' then we would hang up and call them back, and play their own voices back to them! :D My great aunt used to think that the further someone lived away, the louder you had to talk! 🙂

lol :D not quite the same, but when i was nurse training in a & e, you picked out the next patient card and called them through via the bing bong system, intercom thingy.

I picked the card (that all the other nurses kept putting back and i didnt realise), just pressed "bing bong, can Tess Tickle please go to cublicle one", roars of laughter, i was very embaressed 😱

I was hoping to get one on my annual review last week, but they cancelled it and have closed the clinic. I think the DSNs are now living in a dark, locked cupboard somewhere as I can only communicate with them by telephone and it seems a waste of their time to ring them up just to ask for a free meter. :(

Shame, hope you manage to get one soon

I'll probably buy one, they're only a tenner - had been hanging on until the review 🙄

How many of the patients laughed when you bing-bonged Tess Tickle? :D :D

The whole A & E dept. Should of know better, was down as a groin strain, so stupid. Only remembered it reading about your pranks! :D

You just reminded me of an old customer of mine Tracey ....a Mr P Freely....always caused uproar!

Northe, give Julie Hadley a call, she won't mind. I actually love her to bits 🙂

Clinic's not really closed, I found out from Julie it was just an epic mix up and lots of patients have been booted from clinic when they shouldn't have been, and clinic is still running. But if you've been booted, you have to get re-reffered. It's why I'm at the docs on 26th, along with said l;etter from PCT and a bit of an attitude.

Northe, give Julie Hadley a call, she won't mind. I actually love her to bits 🙂

Clinic's not really closed, I found out from Julie it was just an epic mix up and lots of patients have been booted from clinic when they shouldn't have been, and clinic is still running. But if you've been booted, you have to get re-reffered. It's why I'm at the docs on 26th, along with said l;etter from PCT and a bit of an attitude.

That's not the impression I got :confused: I'm seeing the GP on the 1st so see what she says.🙄

Cured!

Not of the betes, unfortunately, but as the day has gone on I've been needing less insulin (or rather, more food to mop up the excess I injected!), and I was cautious with tea and look to have got it about right. Isn't it remarkable how you can chart your recovery from a cold by measuring your BG? Now I'm not sure whether to inject the same amount of lantus as last night as I probably won't need as much over the next 24 hours. Might reduce by one unit and see what happens.

Glad you are starting to feel better🙂

That's not the impression I got :confused: I'm seeing the GP on the 1st so see what she says.🙄

tis a bit of a confusing situation. Its like, the patient complaining people are like ITS CLOSED MWAHAHAHA but then Julie was like "naaah, just demand re-referall" - I had a rant about docs nursey being trained in the stone age...and I'm all like "WHAT IS GOING ON?!"

:confused:

Glad you are on the mend Northe, hope you had a good nights sleep too.

Its incredible all the extra work we need to put in when we have even a minor illness like colds/coughs. People just do not have a clue what we have to go through on a daily basis do they?

Glad you are on the mend Northe, hope you had a good nights sleep too.

Its incredible all the extra work we need to put in when we have even a minor illness like colds/coughs. People just do not have a clue what we have to go through on a daily basis do they?

Thanks Tracey 🙂 I've been fortunate not to have been ill much at all since diagnosis - this was probably my worse to date - and the thing that has struck me most is just how much guess work comes into things. How on earth do you know how much extra insulin you are going to need to counteract the illness? My doses have been complete stabs 🙂)) in the dark! The biggest difficulty I have found is estimating basal, being on just one injection a day. All my waking readings have been above range, but I daren't risk giving too much and having night hypos. This morning was my worst waking level yet, at 8.3 despite a 65% increase in my lantus over the past week. But do I now lower the lantus because I'm getting better? Who knows what rate my sensitivity will increase at? For someone who has been generally very predictable and consistent, this really does bring it home to you how tricky things can be at times.

I guess things would be much easier to handle on a pump when you can keep a closer eye on things and do numerous tweaks throught the day and night - just not possible really on MDI without getting seriously confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back