Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am struggling to get a sharps bin!!!!

I'm surprised you're having trouble getting a sharps bin. As soon as I was put onto insulin my nurse added a sharps bin to my prescription.

for graham as well it was on his first prescription

Sharps bin on prescription as soon as I started Byetta (Boots keep them in). Have to arrange with council for collection (Sevenoaks) and they will add me to their rounds for free pick up on a Saturday.

Point of interest, I swap bins at our Nurses Station (separate to the doctors surgery) and was told that I should be swapping the bin every 6 months maximum whether full or not.

I have taken to cutting the end of my needles with a pair of side cutters, this takes up a lot less room in the bin and of course the I don't dispose of lancets until they start hurting, so they don't fill up the bin much.

I have bought a very small bin for when I go away.

Point of interest, I swap bins at our Nurses Station (separate to the doctors surgery) and was told that I should be swapping the bin every 6 months maximum whether full or not

I'm in France, the other week we had a general leaflet telling us what to do/where to reycle all the various types of rubbish. It too said it was important that sharps should be disposed of within 6 months of use, (strips and cannulas are also supposed to go in the bin.)
Trouble is I have 10 full boxes that I accumulated in the period between the pharmacist stopping taking them and the dechetterie obeying the law and getting the facilities to accept them. I can't get rid of more than one box at a time. No doubt they are now considered a bio hazzard, so they continue to sit in the cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back