Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a thought if you havent got a sharps bin - i use plastic bottles (coke or whatever) whenever i go away. always a good, if temporary, substitute.

I remember Copepod saying that she uses old bleach bottles to put them in as they have childproof caps, then she throws them away in normal household waste.

I wanna sharps bin though got my heart set on one now .

i have lots in graham room you know home school and holiday club anybody need one??? PM

i just got given one when i was diagnosed and since then when its full i ring the number on the bin and they collect it and give me a new one all for FREE i just thought that happened everywhere :confused: didnt realised people paid plus i also got given a travel sized one for holidays 🙂

i will ask when we are going to the new hospital !!!

my doctors a total dingbat! lol he told me i didnt need one!! I obviously do.... 😛

I get my sharps bin on prescription and when full just take it back to the surgery and they deal with the disposal. Nice and easy (and free!)

I put my sharps in a plastic container. When it's full I take it to my doctors surgery and they put it in with the other medical waste in yellow bags.

Guess what went back today and i got a 1 litre sharps bin woooopie

I put my sharps in a plastic container. When it's full I take it to my doctors surgery and they put it in with the other medical waste in yellow bags.

I hope they aren't putting it in the yellow bags, maybe they are putting it inside a large sharps box?

I hope they aren't putting it in the yellow bags, maybe they are putting it inside a large sharps box?

I'd be worried if they were putting it into the burn bags. That said, if they're in a bottle and sealed then I don't see any problems with that as it all get incinerated.

Tom

I can get a sharps bin, no problems there. The issue I'm having is getting rid of the full ones. my GP surgery won't tkae them, the 2 chemists I can get to with relative ease told me to ring the council, the council told me to take them to me local chemist! At the moment I have 4 full ones that I can't dispose of. I much prefered my needle clipper. At least I could just ask thm to stick it in their sharps bin...

*ramble, ramble grrr etc...*

I can get a sharps bin, no problems there. The issue I'm having is getting rid of the full ones. my GP surgery won't tkae them, the 2 chemists I can get to with relative ease told me to ring the council, the council told me to take them to me local chemist! At the moment I have 4 full ones that I can't dispose of. I much prefered my needle clipper. At least I could just ask thm to stick it in their sharps bin...

*ramble, ramble grrr etc...*

I had that exact problem a year ago I ended up with 8 full one's! My mum ended up taking them to my old doctors so they would be disposed of.

Although I've always had issues with stupid sharps bins I hate the things. Why can't doctors surgey's just take them back??

Just wanted to say thanks Steff for bringing this up, and to everyone who replied. My DSN told me I didn't need sharps bins, it was ok to just bin lancets with the top on and the clipper when full. I now know otherwise!

So, three years late, I rang my doctors for a bin today and the receptionist was very helpful (if a little mortified that I'd never had one before) and I collected one tonight. Apparently I just take i back to swap it when full, why can't it be that easy everywhere?

what a range of stories!

My new nurse (moved in oct 09) didn't know where I should get one from! So well done Steff on getting one so quick! But defo first port of call would be council my old gaff and new one council pick up full and drop off an empty sharps bin whenever I phone them up okay I may have to wait a few days, but's it's free and if I am low will also use plastic bottle of some description.

I probably would splash the cash for a small one if I ever go on holiday again!!

Loubie if you are Guildford council which I think you might be, just phone them up, number on website, if you can't find it pm me and I'll dig it out for yous.

Good subject Steff, shows the power of his place us all learning etc!

Just wanted to say thanks Steff for bringing this up, and to everyone who replied. My DSN told me I didn't need sharps bins, it was ok to just bin lancets with the top on and the clipper when full. I now know otherwise!

So, three years late, I rang my doctors for a bin today and the receptionist was very helpful (if a little mortified that I'd never had one before) and I collected one tonight. Apparently I just take i back to swap it when full, why can't it be that easy everywhere?

Im in the same position, I am goin to find out about getting one as I dont want to get into trouble from the council for sticking it all in the domestic waste 😱

I hate asking them (receptionists 🙄)at my doctors for anything so I might try my chemist first lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back