Sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just a quickie question from me are sharps bins a good idea for type 2s as well? Can i put my used lancets in and everything else to ?

If you're using needles, then you should put them in a sharps bin. I put my lancets in there too - basically, if it's sharp and has possibly come into contact with blood then it should go in a sharps bin. Even those needle clipping devices are supposed to go in sharps bins when full (I learned that from today's Balance!) 🙂

Right well ive seen a 1 litre one for ?1.69 is that good value

I do Steff, the surgery gave me one free. Try asking them before you buy, it shouldn't be a problem for them now you're on Byetta.

The council Environmental Services provide mine - try looking on the website of your council, or ring your surgery to find out who provides them as you're also going to need to know how to dispose of them.

Ah right that sounds promising so i get them from pharmacist or the docs?

Ah right that sounds promising so i get them from pharmacist or the docs?

I got mine from the doctor's surgery. Ask your nurse.

If you're using needles, then you should put them in a sharps bin. I put my lancets in there too - basically, if it's sharp and has possibly come into contact with blood then it should go in a sharps bin. Even those needle clipping devices are supposed to go in sharps bins when full (I learned that from today's Balance!) 🙂

Well ya learn something new everyday.. I never realised the needle clippers had to go in a sharps bin... 😱

As for sharps collections this is what my council charges

Domestic collection and disposal of hazardous
waste 5 ltr. or 1 1.5ltr. sharps bin or clinical waste
bag Per bin or bag ? 10.60
Nb. Free collection of one sharps bin per year per
household permitted

Wonder how long it takes to fil a 1.5 ltr sharps bin and whether I could make it last a year... lol

Steff go to your council website and do a search on medical waste disposal..

i got mine from DSN on DX its about 1/2 full ...but i did raid it fro my diabot

Well ya learn something new everyday.. I never realised the needle clippers had to go in a sharps bin... 😱

As for sharps collections this is what my council charges

Domestic collection and disposal of hazardous
waste 5 ltr. or 1 1.5ltr. sharps bin or clinical waste
bag Per bin or bag ? 10.60
Nb. Free collection of one sharps bin per year per
household permitted

Wonder how long it takes to fil a 1.5 ltr sharps bin and whether I could make it last a year... lol

Steff go to your council website and do a search on medical waste disposal..

That is SCANDALOUS. It's supposed to be free for them to dispose of medical waste. Give them what for. 😡

Ooops I have never had one. I remember them being discussed on my DAFNE course and no one had one at all.

mine is a 5 litre one and it usually takes me about 3 months or so to fill it - depends if i chuck other random stuff in there too.

i'm lucky in that my mum is a nurse, so she gets them for me and disposes of them for me. go mums!

Good job I work in a hospital! They've never been easy to get rid of so hence I've never really had them I just pike them from work and take them back into work. That saidm I could get a monster which looks like my dog could sleep in it!

Tom

I hope i can get one on script,but if i have to pay out so be it

i got mine from the nurse and when full ive just to hand it back in when seeing her im nowhere near full at the moment i put needles and also my blood strips in as im not keen on putting it in the household bin

I'm currently using a 1ltr one and use a pair of side cutters to chop the contaminated end of my Novofine needle, throw it in the sharps bin and throw the plastic bit in the normal waste, the bin should last a good yr I recon this way. I get my bins free from our Nurses station and they dispose of them for me (one advantage of living in the sticks).

I hope i can get one on script,but if i have to pay out so be it

Steff if your gp is prescribing you byetta and needles etc, then they have to prescribe you with a sharps bin surely?

They should also be able to tell you where to dispose of them, clinics in your area, collections etc. Your dsn should easily be able to sort this for you.

Steff if your gp is prescribing you byetta and needles etc, then they have to prescribe you with a sharps bin surely?

They should also be able to tell you where to dispose of them, clinics in your area, collections etc. Your dsn should easily be able to sort this for you.

Not so far they aint hun xx I think i must ring in tomorrow and find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back