school trip - NOT groundhog day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E in Wales

Not sure where in Wales E is going, but there's at least one woman with T1D on a pump who is a member of a mountain rescue team in Snowdonia. I'd say that being happy in the hills is possibly even more important than medical knowledge (I do have both, but don't know much about pumps, and would only learn to help someone else) as I've seen what can happen when a skilled nurse or doctor who has only hospital experience can react "in the field" - if they keep losing their kit, being slow / scared etc, they're not much use to the group. Equally, I've seen many examples of excellent care by skilled first aiders with good outdoor experience and the right attitude.
I'd really recommend joining the informal international group "MAD" "Mountains for Active Diabetics" at http://diabetic.friendsinhighplaces.org/ - the woman pumper / MRT member will probably answer if you post a query. But even better if E can ask his own questions.

Aha! You are brilliant Copepod. This is hugely helpful. You have articulated exactly the sort of thing I meant: we will need 'field' experience and confidence. Yes. Pump knowledge pretty vital?

We have our first meeting for this expedition in January, at which we will find out more details about the situation. It's in someplace called Rowlyn?

We all have a fair amount of experience walking and climbing, and my OH is fit and smart (his family are all medical as a bonus, which means that he has grown up around all kinds of situations...) -- however, we're aware that this is really not enough in some situations, particularly first aid or survival ones...Anyway, I run ahead of myself. We'll wait and see what the lay of the land is in January.

Carol concert in cathedral went well: he was in every single item except the string quartet! No wonder he's so shattered. That's about 10 pieces...Now just the school concert to go, on Thursday. Again, he seems to be doing loads.

Don't think he can't keep this up while doing GCSEs next year! We'll see. I'm amazed he seems to be surviving, and well, academically...Eek.

Numbers, thankfully, continue to be stable. Not many hypos (well, one every other day or so, good for him), none miserable. We also feel we are coming to grips at last with many things dual waved...yay! Shall post all this on main thread...

Thank you, all, and to Adrienne too for your ideas and support.

xxoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back