school trip - NOT groundhog day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Okay, this is just sort of a record for me, and to see what happens over the weekend...Some of you will remember the absolutely DREADFUL time we had when E went to France for three days in July: the school care was appalling and scary, no checks done, no questions asked, E let down dreadfully etc... 😱

SO. This time he is going to the Isle of Wight with a choir tour, just for the weekend. We have been in close touch with the organisers, who we and he know very well. I have met with the leader, and spoken on the phone to the person who will be overseeing his bungalow.

We have received menu choices -- mostly self catering -- and they have put all pasta and rice dishes for lunchtime (bless), potatoes in the evening, and low carb/no carb things on for after the performances (eg 10pm) (bless, again).

They know and will oversee him waking up three hours after any bolus to test. They will make sure he tests regularly while swimming. They know he needs to stop if hypo and that he will be using temp basals for anything particularly active. They know what can go wrong with the pump and the steps that need to be followed if something does go wrong.

All in all, everything feels much better. E is *really* looking forward to going, likes everyone on the trip and feels that music is well within his loves of life and comfort zone.

And: everyone on the trip is a parent!

How do we feel: my daughter is nervous for him and for us. If only I could stop her worrying! My husband has been very busy and feels that E is suddenly going and they haven't spent much time together etc...I am faced with getting all the prep done today, laundry packing juice snacks etc. And finishing marking. And christmas shopping.

BUT. I think things will be so much better. All in contact if needs be. So many emergencies already faced, so few surprises possible.

He leaves tomorrow morning, back on Sunday evening.

Thoughts or suggestions? Anything I may not have thought of?

Over and out for now... 😱

Just popped in to say I hope the trip is a success. You are very well organised. If anything forogtten, I'm sure some one will et you know.

Hi Patricia,

I hope E has a great time - and hope you can relax!🙂

Sounds like you have most things covered. Not to be alarmist - but is E taking the glucagon injection? Is anyone comfortable enough to be able to use it if needs be? How far is the local hospital from where he is staying?

Has he got spare insulin,strips and lancets, spare set-changes,injection pen etc..

Sorry if i am stating the obvious - I am sure you have gone over all this!🙂Bev

Hi Patrica!

Well done, it sounds like you have put a lot of effort making sure the same things dont happen again, so I have my fingers crossed, you and E deserve much better.

....bless your little girl for worrying, I bet that 'worries' you about her worrying too.

I am sure you mentioned last time that E has a mobile and it sounds like you have been more than sensible. Im glad he is looking forward to it.

Good luck!

I wait to hear...... xxxxx

Thanks all -- fingers crossed indeed! I hope and pray it'll all go okay...

Bev, didn't go the glucagon route...Wonder if we should? It's a tiny island, and actually the home town of one of the staff...I did emphasise that everyone needs to know where the hospital is. Damn. Could easily send them an email and text just saying what it is...They are pretty sensible women, have children, and will be able to read instructions just like us! Think this is a good idea...

Yes, have all spares as said. Phew! Not stating obvious, glad to know someone thinks like me! He does set change tonight, and under normal circumstances would make it to Sunday, but he is swimming, so hard to know what will happen...

Re keeping in touch: we have teachers' mobiles and they have ours. E also has his. I have even made sure there is a signal there (and that they know that my phone receives best in the house -- my husband's doesn't, etc)! (paranoid, moi?)

He doesn't usually carry a bum bag, and doesn't like them, but I think I'm going into town to explore the possibility of an Animal or Bench one or something... He will be in a coat most of the time, but he can't carry juice in his pocket if his coat is off...

He is excited about going, very comfortable about it. His only regret is that he misses a disco -- and the chance to meet with his girlfriend again! Yes, he has settled upon a nice girl (good grief I sound old), and it's all happy at the moment this end... We talked about how his music life is part of his life, and that he would be unhappy and dissatisfied without it -- so music in his life, despite the time it takes up, is something that his social life will just ultimately have to accommodate. He fervently agrees.

ANYWAY.

For now!

xxoo

Hi Patricia

Sounds like all bases covered but I agree with Bev. Where E goes, so must glucagon, anywhere ! Jessica never ever goes anywhere without a glucagon kit. I have had to use it at night on her and that just confirms how necessary and important it is. If an ambulance is called and it doesn't get there or has an accident or gets taken over to go to someone else en route (which can happen) then there is a problem. Don't frighten anyone with it, it can look frightening. Tell them that it is designed for the layman to use not a medical person. Tell them it is not a drug that can harm E. Tell them it will kick his liver into play to released the much needed glycogen to bring the hypo up.

You will also have to tell them they will need an ambulance though if they give it.

Some people can be sick after glucagon (Jessica wasn't) and levels can drop back down quite quickly so lots and lots of monitoring would be needed but by that time the ambulance should be there.

Remember once you use a glucagon injection kit you cannot use it again for a minimum of 24 hours, more like 48 hours whilst the liver replenishes itself and hypos breed hypos so would need to run levels a tiny bit higher than usual.

Not sure if that helps or whether my usual spouting off about glucagon. If you read the email list you will know that glucagon is a passion of mine and I spout off a lot about it. Think Bev will agree with that. 🙂

Yes, I see this. I think we are used to packing it up, and do so, but for some reason I didn't think of this this time! Argh.

I agree though with both of you. Sounds straightforward. Will send one. Off to type up email! And will text... Good guidelines to tell them.

THANK YOU.

xxoo

Just like Adrienne mentions about the ambulance, I feel its almost worth mentioning that if E hypos that bad and he is with strangers they should call an abulance anyway, even if it is just for immediate and fast care - he doesnt necessarilly need wizzing to the local (only???!) A&E. Remember if they call 999, every ambulance and fast response car does carry glucagon.

Glucgel looks great (not to the same effect) but Tom when we met at the drinks thing always carries this thing of it in his pocket which his friends know to rub in his gums- great.

xx

Yes, thanks Lou. I'm sending glucogel as well. They tell us not to use this if unconscious -- what do you think?

And yes, in my email just now I said that an ambulance must be called anyway -- which I know they would do. They won't be testing his blood, for instance, so will need an ambulance to get anything very odd sorted...

Thanking you for thoughts...

Feeling for you, Patricia. I am sure that you have covered everything and E is such a good lad.

I hope he has a great trip and that all is well. A worrying time for you, I know.

Keep as busy as you can whilst he is away (but always within phone range).

Do let us know how it goes. Will have everything crossed for you!

xx 🙂

You are right, no Glucogel when unconscious, he could choke.

I'm intrigued as to why they won't be testing him. Do you mean none of them will know how to do a finger test? I'll be totally honest with you and say I wouldn't be happy with that. This is because if something does happen and for some reason he does collapse, will he be high or low. The immediate thought is that he should be low but just supposing he isn't or just supposing it isn't because of diabetes at all and they start treating a hypo with whatever including maybe a glucagon injection kit, thats not good.

If they had to use the glucagon and he really does go hypo the next day or later the same day, they can't use it again.

I would want someone to know exactly how to do a test. They don't have to do them unless an emergency. They will also have not know to move the finger pricker so the needle goes in deeper. If they have no experience of testing then having the depth gauge on 1 or 2 won't be any good and as it would be an emergency they would need blood out first go so should possibly up the depth guage to 3 or 4 eek 😱

I know I sound over dramatic but bloody diabetes surprises us some days.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Appreciate this thought Adrienne -- from our point of view though, he's not far off 14 and I'm not sure how/if we could go through all this without risking him feeling that his independence is at risk etc...

I guess it's much like how we feel about people being able to use the pump -- we feel they shouldn't be able to. This is I realise very different with primary school children and I can imagine younger ones, up to teens... But my own fear is that a little bit of knowledge *can* be worse than none. With none they will call the ambulance. With a little bit they may try to solve it themselves, and figure their way through something they aren't armed for and don't have experience with. At this point it will only be in a case of unconsciousness that they would ever face so much of this: and I want the ambulance rung!

I also look upon this as a good learning experience for him -- they know he will need to set the night alarms etc if his bolus is late -- and they know he will need to test. Normally we do this. My feeling is that the experience will ultimately be good for him.

I do take your point though. I may ask him to show them the basics -- but I'm as afraid of them messing it up, or making the wrong sorts of assumptions, as I am of such an emergency.

Now, when he goes on a week trip to Wales next year -- eek! -- that will be very different. We are already working on that. No running water, no electricity. Someone will be trained in absolutely ALL the details then, completely medically up to speed. Too isolated a location etc...

I may ask him to show them how to manage a test if needs be...but believe it or not, I didn't do a test on him for several weeks after he was first diagnosed. He's always, always done everything himself.

Interesting.

Hi Patricia

I totally agree with you where the pump is concerned. The only thing I would ever show anyone about the pump (if they did not need to know the basics) would be how to 'unplug'. I'm not sure I would even show the suspend as that is pressing buttons but unplugging is easier, I mean in case of unconsciouness.

I would still show the finger prick however old the child is or show someone together or however it is done. It is just a safeguard, they don't need to be watching.

Anyway just what I think, there is no wrong or right here, it is trial and error unfortunately.

I think you have done great and I think that E is brilliant and he will be fine. 🙂

I dont know if this is helpful or not with reference to your "unplugging", but Ive always said to my mum if I ever get unconscious or unwell at her house not to fiddle with my pump, but if the worst came to the worst and I was really confused in a hypo or aggressive and look like I am giving myself insulin or something then she must get her kitchen scissors and cut through the line!

Unlikely to ever need to be done, it is after all very dramatic. But in an extreme situation its easy to miss the obvious that can be done. I can run a new infusion set when better. I'm not suggesting you tell the school this as something to do!

With regards to Wales, no runnign water would drive me nuts for washing my hands prior to a blood test. I expect you already do this, but I buy a handbag size alcohol rub (from tesco). I hate the stuff, but it serves it purpose well. lso if he is doing a set change our there- god to be free of germs. Wow- what a challenge with the isolation. I would want more than one glucogon inj I think.

So much to think about....

Adrienne - re a week in Wales - I guess he'll manage much like I did for 25 days on South Georgia (December, which is summer, but it still got below freezing many nights). Only running water was in stream behind the building (when we stayed in the abandonned settlement) or other streams, sometime meltwater streams on glaciers) when camping away. If I reckoned my hands were clean eg I just washed them in stream after going to loo (which didn't have running water), then I'd test blood sugar then. If blood sugar test was needed, I'd decide whether or not to wash hands first, depending on what I'd been doing - ie would wash hands after handling bits of dead reindeer for DNA testing or skulls for research, but not necessarily if I'd been writing / reading /cooking. No electricity, so a good torch is essential - we had such long daylight that didn't need it often, and had fire for warmth in evenings, which also gave some light. However, a head torch is very useful, as it leaves hands free - can get one for about ?4 from supermarket or market leader Petzl for ?20 - 30.
And in Wales, can't be too far from ambulance access if it all goes wrong - our only source of help was HMS Endurance, with a medical officer who didn't appprove of people with diabetes doing anything outside UK, it seemed, but had to get my help to interpret Spanish, apply leg traction and convert blood glucose levels for an elderly Chilean with type 2 diabetes who'd brroken his hip in a cruise ship shower and was being transported back to Falkland Islands.
Or, just ask any one of probably hundreds of teenagers with type 1 diabetes who do Duke of Edinburgh Award expeditions for up to 4 days & 3 nights each year, camping overnight and carrying all kit, food etc.

Wow Copepod, what a heck of a lot of information! I want to save this -- or I'll ask you as we get closer to it.

Adrienne: yes, I absolutely see your point. Didn't think about him not being there. Duh. Will now have to text him because even though it was on my mind, with rush to get out forgot to ask him to show them how to do it...Argh!

Lou: and yes. Cutting the line is actually something we've told the school to do if it all gets totally weird and out of control... It does sound dramatic, but it's the one way to guarantee the stop of insulin or something malfunctioning! We've had a little trouble 'unplugging' the pump in the past -- eg if it's dirty with sand or something, and sometimes he finds it a little resistant anyway, so we just thought, yep, cut that baby.

I think we'll send endless supplies to Wales. And someone who knows what they're doing. There is another boy in yr 9 with type 1 who presumably will be going too. He's less together than E apparently -- only just moved to MDI -- but the idea is to get both of them going at the same time. Copepod, what are your plans next year?!

Sorry accidentally posted too early...

So HE'S OFF, anyway! Running late and everyone stressed.

Like just before French trip, set change last night was unto hell. Too many bubbles. Hugely stressy. Everyone in tears. Dreadful.

Have sent him with dual wave crib sheet, just in case. And carb book. And he's pretty good at estimating. He has already declared he will run himself a little high. Erk. Don't blame him though.

Felt weird packing his school uniform for performances last night, not sure why. Blazer, shirt, tie, trousers, shoes. All a bit grown up!

Bad news is that his girl broke it off yesterday. He had the feeling it was going to happen, as you do. Strange in this climate at the moment, two things: that boys have to 'have a girl', and that the girls do the breaking up! This has happened to all his friends. Single sex schools, I think...

Anyway, he's okay with it though the timing is bad. I suspect she wanted to check out the disco without him, but hey -- I am only just thinking the worst!

Sigh. Husband is nervy. Daughter is nervy. Suddenly realise that they both feel this is the first time E has been away -- because in France, his father was literally around the corner. Whereas I felt he definitely went away that time. So I'm easier with it all this time.

Famous last words. Not, I hope.

Off to send that text.

Once again everyone, words cannot adequately express how grateful I am for your support, interest and advice. Thank you thank you.

xxoo

Patricia - of course ask me nearer the time. I'm particularly keen to encourage anyone with diabetes to take part in adventurous activities. Holiday plans for next year - a few days in Tromso, northern Norway in February, to visit a German friend who lived with us for a while, her Norwegian partner & year old baby, and to do some nordic skiing, all to break up the months while my partner is working in Antarctica, which is otherwise a bit dark (yes, I realise Tromso will be even darker than England) and boring.

Mountains for Active Diabetics is an excellent resource and BSES Expeditions have involved many people with diabetes over the year - there's a good chance of at least one, if not two of us, going to Baffin Island in 2011.

Wow again Copepod, thanks for the info. I desperately want him to go, as does his father. He himself feels a little anxious about Wales, but I think with things in place it will be okay. *Serious* planning required. Fortunately, it's not like he's never hiked or been in slightly difficult conditions -- we go to the Lakes all the time. It'll be the hygiene I think, and dealing with shifting levels because of all the out of routine stuff.

What we did this time, just for the weekend, is send him with yes a pen for emergencies and a vial and set changes, but also one already-filled reservoir. This I can imagine being the answer while in Wales -- one step and chance for infection reduced.

He is showing himself to be someone who thinks 'it'll be okay' first rather than 'I'm scared to try'. In a funny way, I think this is something that diabetes has brought to the fore. He *is* risk averse, in that he doesn't do stupid things...but so far he is not entering any situation with the thought that he can't do it. He gets in the zone where he knows what to plan, how to plan, where everything is (eg when I went through his suitcase with him, he was in that zone: he looked at everything once, and I could just *tell* it went it once, and lodged there) and then he seems to be able to forget about it rather than worry about it, trust that it will be okay, and trust himself...

I'm not sure I'd be able to do this. I'd worry a lot I think. This trait, of trusting yourself and confidence in knowing that you know things, is from his father!

Sigh. We struggle to find positives from having diabetes. But for him, the maturing and use of this fundamental inner strength is one of them...

Patricia

I'm sure he'll be fine, how exciting for him and how grown up as well.

Sorry is girlfriend dumped him. I had loads of boyfriends from 13 upwards (although the term boyfriend has a different meaning when you are younger of course) and I always did the dumping, fickle eh!

He'll find another one. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back