Salt

Anyway asked to get a phone consultation and the receptionist fitted me in today.
so ill post later.

Ah that’s great to hear. Really well done for getting that sorted. Hope the appointment is effective, and you get the help and support you need.

No phone call today sadly. Do not understand maybe they will phone another day.

Ah how disappointing for you @Nayshiftin :(
yes, Im a bit overwhemed as apart from this this med has been okay. Maybe as i said i wanted to discuss the medication they think well shes been on it 5 weeks she must be okay . I am tired waiting on hubby but need to keep positive. Just anxious it could have been talked about to the prof as it told me too. Tomorrow is another day. once i sleep the anxiety will stop.

Started this morning and did not get through as my phone packed in after and hour. Tried again and after 2 hrs 45 minutes waiting got through then got cut off. Lunchtime so could not phone back. Pm phoned took an hour as number 17 in queue.
Spoke to lovely lady that says go through e consult tomorrow morning as no slots with nurse only emergencies.
If I was stressed before lol I'd hate to be really unwell.
What is happening in our world? It all seems to have changed.

Started this morning and did not get through as my phone packed in after and hour. Tried again and after 2 hrs 45 minutes waiting got through then got cut off. Lunchtime so could not phone back. Pm phoned took an hour as number 17 in queue.
Spoke to lovely lady that says go through e consult tomorrow morning as no slots with nurse only emergencies.
If I was stressed before lol I'd hate to be really unwell.
What is happening in our world? It all seems to have changed.
Oh how frustrating and stressful. It's such an ordeal to get through and get an appointment!
I'm sorry you've not been having the best of times, physically and mentally. I hope you know you're not alone though. You've got us on here to 'get things off of your chest' and of course your friends and family. I recently called the Diabetes UK Helpline and they were really supportive and motivating about things.

Oh how frustrating and stressful. It's such an ordeal to get through and get an appointment!
I'm sorry you've not been having the best of times, physically and mentally. I hope you know you're not alone though. You've got us on here to 'get things off of your chest' and of course your friends and family. I recently called the Diabetes UK Helpline and they were really supportive and motivating about things.
Thanks, I have managed to e-consult this morning although you have to summarise. I am not expecting much. The helpline have given medication advice in the past. I just need to know this will lift and not something I should change. I am not happy to change as not bad tummy effects etc. i guess I will ride through this. Could be worse.

Thanks, I have managed to e-consult this morning although you have to summarise. I am not expecting much. The helpline have given medication advice in the past. I just need to know this will lift and not something I should change. I am not happy to change as not bad tummy effects etc. i guess I will ride through this. Could be worse.
Pleased you did the e-consult and hopefully something positive comes from it!!

Thanks. Just have to go along with it gor time being . Told to eat carbs as my meds will deal with them.
Just going to take each day as it comes.

Thanks. Just have to go along with it for time being . Told to eat carbs as my meds will deal with them.
Just going to take each day as it comes

Thanks. Just have to go along with it for time being . Told to eat carbs as my meds will deal with them.
That’s interesting about the carbs. Sounds sensible to take it all day by day. Wishing you well :)

That seems a ridiculous thing to say, why eat foods which raise blood glucose and then need take more and more meds. I know it does suggest that very low carb should be undertaken with caution if on empagliflozin but that is less than 50g carbs per day. But it also says to be used in conjunction with diet. The more glucose you are excreting the more likely of UTIs.

That seems a ridiculous thing to say, why eat foods which raise blood glucose and then need take more and more meds. I know it does suggest that very low carb should be undertaken with caution if on empagliflozin but that is less than 50g carbs per day. But it also says to be used in conjunction with diet. The more glucose you are excreting the more likely of UTIs.
My thoughts entirely it was a total waste of a phone call tbh. If you feel depressed it says contact.

Jardiance (empagliflozin) is a medication prescribed for type 2 diabetes and to lower the risk of heart and blood vessel problems and death in adults1. It can cause side effects that range from mild to serious. While depression is not listed as a common side effect of Jardiance, it has been reported in some cases2. However, it’s important to note that depression can have various causes, and it’s best to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of depression or any other concerning side effects while taking Jardiance, it’s crucial to seek medical attention promptly. Healthcare professionals can provide appropriate guidance and support based on individual circumstances.”
My nurse replied oh thats just to make sure your nit going to harm yourself”.
Just go with it.
i mentioned the sweats . no advice given
She asked my blood sugars and said meds were working but it was lower on diet alone and its going back up in the 7”s and ive gad one 8. I said id not be able to lower my carbs unless on a plan afvised by a dietician . “oh eat as much as you want thats the beauty of the med you will just pee it all out “
I just summarised that id not harm myself and take meds and see what my HbA1c was on the appointment next made.
Apart from getting that appointment for bloods all I think is get on with it. Your on a med and who cares what they do.
Im not convinced low carb is a way i can do for life.
You enjoy it and get good results but unsure if its the way forward for me.
i know with 7 ‘s and 8’s im not going to be in remission she said i might get 61 when she first prescribed the med. She was going on the 108 HbA1c result not the 5.6 i was getting on the diet alone.
Wondering now if Empagliflozin doesn't let you get too low .
im aiming for 60 carbs knowing that its more like 80 to 90 with coffees with cream .
Also i try to enjoy my food so if the recipe is more so be it. The highest day has not been over 100 so I am well within the 130 limit. i never aimed to be keto. lowest i think was 43. but that was a fluke day.
My bs rise in pain and stress which Im going through a bad phase at the moment.
ive not found it easy, not got the energy or the happiness others seem to get on low carb.
It might not be for me. ill go until my HbA1c but still feel there is something else going on .
Who knows but thats life at times you just have to exist for the sake of it
its morning ill get through . Go for a walk, do the work etc . Weekend is coming. Hopefully ill enjoy Strictly. Have a good weekend too.

Last edited:
My thoughts entirely it was a total waste of a phone call tbh. If you feel depressed it says contact.

Jardiance (empagliflozin) is a medication prescribed for type 2 diabetes and to lower the risk of heart and blood vessel problems and death in adults1. It can cause side effects that range from mild to serious. While depression is not listed as a common side effect of Jardiance, it has been reported in some cases2. However, it’s important to note that depression can have various causes, and it’s best to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of depression or any other concerning side effects while taking Jardiance, it’s crucial to seek medical attention promptly. Healthcare professionals can provide appropriate guidance and support based on individual circumstances.”
My nurse replied oh thats just to make sure your nit going to harm yourself”.
Just go with it.
i mentioned the sweats . no advice given
She asked my blood sugars and said meds were working but it was lower on diet alone and its going back up in the 7”s and ive gad one 8. I said id not be able to lower my carbs unless on a plan . “oh eat as much as you want thats the beauty of the med you will just pee it all out “
I just summarised that id not ga myself and take meds and see what my HbA1c was on the appointment next made.
Apart from getting that appointment for bloods all I think is get on with it. Your on a med and who cares what they do to me
You enjoy it and get good results but unsure if its the way forward.
i know with 7 ‘s and 8’s im not going to be in remission she said i might get 61 when she first prescribed the med. She was going on the 108 HbA1c result not the 5.6 i was getting in diet alone.
im aiming for 60 carbs knowing that its mire like 80 to 90 with coffees with cream .
Also i try to enjoy my food so if tge recipe is more so be it. The highest has not been over 100 so im wdll within the 130 limit. i never aimed to be keto.
ive not found it easy, not got the energy or the happiness others seem to get on low carb.
It might not be for me. ill go until my HbA1c but still feel there is something else going on .
Who knows but thats life at times you just have to exist for the sake of it
its morning ill get through . Go for a walk, do the work etc . Weekend is coming. Hopefully ill enjoy Strictly.
I'm sorry your appointment wasn't as supportive as we'd all hoped. Hate when that happens!
I feel similar to you in that low carb is not a way I can do for life either and think which other ways could I lose weight. Are there any other ways for you that's worked in the past?

The state of mind plays a huge part in all this too @Nayshiftin. You said you're going through a bad phase at the moment. When I go through my bad phases / phases of low mood I struggle to focus on anything else remotely 'healthy', let alone weight loss. It's a tough time, cut yourself some slack. You're trying! :)

I'm sorry your appointment wasn't as supportive as we'd all hoped. Hate when that happens!
I feel similar to you in that low carb is not a way I can do for life either and think which other ways could I lose weight. Are there any other ways for you that's worked in the past?

The state of mind plays a huge part in all this too @Nayshiftin. You said you're going through a bad phase at the moment. When I go through my bad phases / phases of low mood I struggle to focus on anything else remotely 'healthy', let alone weight loss. It's a tough time, cut yourself some slack. You're trying! :)
Yes, you get in the trap where you lose weight and low carb without a doubt lowered my sugar rapidly at first . I thought that would continue but no my body equals itself out.
I am pleased with low carb for the bs. They are so much better. I just want to win the race I have a long way to go.
The nurse maybe right you have to be sensible. I do not fancy just taking meds to get rid of sugar all the time either.
Other diets have not been easy either and would perhaps change sugars.
I am cutting slack in I'll give it to Oct 18 when I get HbA1c hopefully this started when I cant say I think about a couple of weeks after meds but just recently its been difficult to live with feeling so low.
I am old so will not do anything stupid . I am thinking my body might be craving the sugar and until that level settles then maybe my body will be sensitive. I will not take sugar but its in carbs etc.
Hopefully this will pass and I'll stop my brain going on and on. No one is happy 24/7 anyways.
I am tired with moving daughter and other things going on.
If I try and think to write it goes too negative so going to stop now.

I just summarised that id not harm myself and take meds and see what my HbA1c was on the appointment next made.
Sounds like a good plan. Stick with the advice you’ve been given by your nurse, and see how it works, then review from there
Apart from getting that appointment for bloods all I think is get on with it. Your on a med and who cares what they do.
Sorry you aren’t feeling more supported :(

Do follow up your low mood with your GP if it continues. Everyone feels a bit low once in a while, bit this feels like something you’ve been facing quite consistently for a while. Have you noticed any change in mood since starting on Jardiance?
You enjoy it and get good results but unsure if its the way forward for me.
Then the freedom and flexibility of adding meds might be really helpful for you? I don’t feel that meds are inherently a bad thing - as a T1 they are essential and non-negotiable - so for me it’s about getting the right balance of meds and menu that gives me the results I am looking for and the flexibility of menu I enjoy. There are other options and alternatives if Jardiance isn’t suiting you.
i know with 7 ‘s and 8’s im not going to be in remission she said i might get 61 when she first prescribed the med. She was going on the 108 HbA1c result not the 5.6 i was getting on the diet alone.
I think we have members taking Empagliflozin who have had a variety of outcomes - seems to vary from person to person.
im aiming for 60 carbs knowing that its more like 80 to 90 with coffees with cream .
Also i try to enjoy my food so if the recipe is more so be it. The highest day has not been over 100 so I am well within the 130 limit. i never aimed to be keto. lowest i think was 43. but that was a fluke day.
I think you are finding your answer then?

Very low carb doesn’t suit everyone. And if a slightly higher carb menu can be balanced with medication (that potentially also has other benefits for heart health) then that seems like a good thing?

Hope you find an approach that suits you, and that you feel happy with and can enjoy day to day. Constantly feeling like you are denying yourself can wear you down.

Big hugs to you, and hope you get an encouraging HbA1c result

started when I cant say I think about a couple of weeks after meds but just recently its been difficult to live with feeling so low.

It does sound like you need to follow-up your low mood as a potential effect of the meds. Could you ask to experiment with something else to see if it helps lift your mood?

Sounds like a good plan. Stick with the advice you’ve been given by your nurse, and see how it works, then review from there

Sorry you aren’t feeling more supported :(

Do follow up your low mood with your GP if it continues. Everyone feels a bit low once in a while, bit this feels like something you’ve been facing quite consistently for a while. Have you noticed any change in mood since starting on Jardiance?

Then the freedom and flexibility of adding meds might be really helpful for you? I don’t feel that meds are inherently a bad thing - as a T1 they are essential and non-negotiable - so for me it’s about getting the right balance of meds and menu that gives me the results I am looking for and the flexibility of menu I enjoy. There are other options and alternatives if Jardiance isn’t suiting you.

I think we have members taking Empagliflozin who have had a variety of outcomes - seems to vary from person to person.

I think you are finding your answer then?

Very low carb doesn’t suit everyone. And if a slightly higher carb menu can be balanced with medication (that potentially also has other benefits for heart health) then that seems like a good thing?

Hope you find an approach that suits you, and that you feel happy with and can enjoy day to day. Constantly feeling like you are denying yourself can wear you down.

Big hugs to you, and hope you get an encouraging HbA1c result
The Nurse can't have a magic wand either and I am going to be okay. I think the scary thing is if you don't do the diet then you will not get the results. I am not keen on meds so any I try all have side effects. Apart from low mood and my sugars not as good as others. But I am not a skinny fit person who is likely to get top marks. I do have other problems like my arthritis etc with replacement joints so I'm unable to run or doing strenuous exercise which does improve blood sugars as does age alter it.
I did go as I felt this had been since the meds but who knows if Id have this without diet or meds. Woman's hormones do go all over the place.
I have got through the last month like this so one gets by.
Thank you for your support.

Yes, you get in the trap where you lose weight and low carb without a doubt lowered my sugar rapidly at first . I thought that would continue but no my body equals itself out.
I am pleased with low carb for the bs. They are so much better. I just want to win the race I have a long way to go.
The nurse maybe right you have to be sensible. I do not fancy just taking meds to get rid of sugar all the time either.
Other diets have not been easy either and would perhaps change sugars.
I am cutting slack in I'll give it to Oct 18 when I get HbA1c hopefully this started when I cant say I think about a couple of weeks after meds but just recently its been difficult to live with feeling so low.
I am old so will not do anything stupid . I am thinking my body might be craving the sugar and until that level settles then maybe my body will be sensitive. I will not take sugar but its in carbs etc.
Hopefully this will pass and I'll stop my brain going on and on. No one is happy 24/7 anyways.
I am tired with moving daughter and other things going on.
If I try and think to write it goes too negative so going to stop now.
Writing helps with the process and you know there will always be someone on here to listen and offer support. :)

Writing helps with the process and you know there will always be someone on here to listen and offer support. :)
Yes, thank you and all who have been here for me. I think I might have done something if I was not saying how I felt and being heard. This support group has been excellent for me.
Yes many are very pro low carb and it does give results but I don't find it second nature and I think there will be ways forward without huge carb changes.
The thing is diabetes is so into what we do eat and that is huge to accept. Yes some need meds as in type one but its not as easy as take insulin and equal the other side out.
I think that's the same in type 2 too. It might be that some finely tuned engines take low carb and that equals good result for others its being honest and looking at ways to feel good.
Its a journey I will get there. Thank you all for you kindnesses.

Back