Salt

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
As type 2, stroke n heart attack are things to prevent. I've noticed a lot of salt in recipes. It's like I always used low fat and ignored salt thinking even kalo low salt were high also. Should it be avoided?

Last edited:
I have to remember to add salt to my food or drink as I get the most agonizing cramps if I don't. I try to remember to add a pinch to my morning coffee but often forget. We need salt.
Processed foods are often quite salty so, having excluded them from my shopping basket I need to remember to add it, particularly in warm weather.

I have to remember to add salt to my food or drink as I get the most agonizing cramps if I don't. I try to remember to add a pinch to my morning coffee but often forget. We need salt.
Processed foods are often quite salty so, having excluded them from my shopping basket I need to remember to add it, particularly in warm weather.
So it helps cramp. Im going mad in the night with it . I thought it was my new drug. i keep drinking masses of tonic water

So it helps cramp. Im going mad in the night with it . I thought it was my new drug. i keep drinking masses of tonic water
I find magnesium gel helps with cramps. You may find drinking rehydration fluids help as well as if you are drinking water then your electrolyte balance can be out of kilter.
When you cut down on preprepared foods then your salt intake can be reduced because of that. I also found that I was low on folate and surmised that was because things like bread and cereals are fortified with folate and I had cut those down.

You need to find out what is causing the cramp. Don’t assume it’s a sodium deficiency. My leg cramps were caused by very high blood glucose and since I’ve brought my levels down have disappeared completely.

It’s true, the human body needs sodium but taken to excess can cause issues like high blood pressure.

Blood pressure is generally at least as important as BG so salt is certainly worth thinking about. How your own BP reacts to salt depends on a bunch of things but in general I suppose it's good to keep in mind the guidelines: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-types/salt-in-your-diet/ That's what they're for :)

Also, monitoring yr BP at home is a good thing to do. Good home BP devices are pretty cheap.

Bp low . Blood sugar is down and no longer a huge concern. I have never ever eaten a lot if processed foods. i never ever added salt before.
recipes on low carb all have salt in them. As they do high fat also. So maybe it is fat that is causing cramp.
However i believe it is the Jardiance,.
I am more thirsty now than ever i was with high blood sugars.
Bp is good unless in pain or at hospital lol.

Last edited:
Bp low . Blood sugar is down and no longer a huge concern. I have never ever eatenna lot if processed foods. i never ever added salt before.
recipes on low carb all gave salt in them. As they do high fat also. So maybe fat thats causing cramp.
However i believe it is the Jardiance,.
I am more thirsty now than ever i was with high blood sugars.
Bp is good unless in pain or at hospital lol.
Honestly try the electrolytes/ rehydrating drinks or focus on foods high in them. Just make sure they aren’t also sugary.

Jardiance makes you pee a lot and then you’ll have the side effects of that to deal with, including dehydration which goes beyond just water. If you’re drinking lots of fluids you will be flushing out the electrolytes. Sodium magnesium potassium and calcium being the main ones.

I am going with it, I guess it was to be expected.
The original question. summarised Can i not add the salt in low carb recipes or is it needed? . As i say salt is not my favourite .

Honestly try the electrolytes/ rehydrating drinks or focus on foods high in them. Just make sure they aren’t also sugary.

Jardiance makes you pee a lot and then you’ll have the side effects of that to deal with, including dehydration which goes beyond just water. If you’re drinking lots of fluids you will be flushing out the electrolytes. Sodium magnesium potassium and calcium being the main ones.
I am confused as so many to buy. It also doesn't really give carb content and as I don't add salt maybe I should in recipes. These drinks may not be expensive if you buy bottled fizzy. I however only get cheap supermarket tonic water. We are poor because I don't work. He has to keep me, so I think to pay out for these would be beyond our budget and beyond what he would be willing for a diet.

According to this page (https://www.insider.com/guides/health/diet-nutrition/how-to-get-electrolytes), good sources in the diet are:

Unsweetened coconut water
Cheese and dairy
White meat and poultry
Beans lentils and seeds
Avocado

Watermelon and fruit juice are also listed, but there are other more BG-friendly sources of potassium above.

Salt doesn’t seem to figure highly in the requirements, though a little would help if you are perspiring a lot or dehydrated I think?

From the page:

The amount of electrolytes you need per day varies on your age, gender, and what type of physical activities you are doing. Here are the recommended daily allowances of five of the most common electrolytes for adults:

Type of ElectrolyteFemales (19-50 years)Males (19-50 years)
Calcium1,000 mg1,000 mg
SodiumLess than 2,300 mgLess than 2,300 mg
Potassium2,600 mg3,400 mg
Magnesium310 - 320 mg400 - 420 mg

According to this page (https://www.insider.com/guides/health/diet-nutrition/how-to-get-electrolytes), good sources in the diet are:

Unsweetened coconut water
Cheese and dairy
White meat and poultry
Beans lentils and seeds
Avocado

Watermelon and fruit juice are also listed, but there are other more BG-friendly sources of potassium above.

Salt doesn’t seem to figure highly in the requirements, though a little would help if you are perspiring a lot or dehydrated I think?

From the page:

The amount of electrolytes you need per day varies on your age, gender, and what type of physical activities you are doing. Here are the recommended daily allowances of five of the most common electrolytes for adults:

Type of ElectrolyteFemales (19-50 years)Males (19-50 years)
Calcium1,000 mg1,000 mg
SodiumLess than 2,300 mgLess than 2,300 mg
Potassium2,600 mg3,400 mg
Magnesium310 - 320 mg400 - 420 mg
Leadinglights has giving me a link so Ill try that. I can but try.
I eat more cheese than I have ever done in this new diet. J did have lentils in one recipe. I do eat chicken too . There had been coconut in curries but id not like to drink it and advocado is a big no no but thats personal taste. . I just do not like it.
Its probably obesity and hormones. Im trying to lose and the other like hubby would say every woman copes but you . Get on with it.

Last edited:
I am going with it, I guess it was to be expected.
The original question. summarised Can i not add the salt in low carb recipes or is it needed? . As i say salt is not my favourite .
You can probably leave the salt out if it's not your favourite. You'll be getting sodium from other sources of foods.

You can probably leave the salt out if it's not your favourite. You'll be getting sodium from other sources of foods.
yes, liking that advice.

For health reasons switched to low salt couple of years back, so use it in sauces & when cooking fror scratch where dish requires salt.

For health reasons switched to low salt couple of years back, so use it in sauces & when cooking fror scratch where dish requires salt.
That's mostly when I use salt (very rarely add salt to the food once cooked and on the plate) but funnily enough, since cooking for my 1 year old, we are using other seasonings to flavour the food and not adding salt at all.

That's mostly when I use salt (very rarely add salt to the food once cooked and on the plate) but funnily enough, since cooking for my 1 year old, we are using other seasonings to flavour the food and not adding salt at all.
I had to buy it for recipes as i never use it. Even in potatoes i don't see the need for salt. i liked sauces so all had it in them. its just low carb seems to have it in every recipe and as fat is part of the equation wondered if it too was another heart risk.

as fat is part of the equation wondered if it too was another heart risk.
I worry about this with the low carb diets because mostly I see meal plans which are low carb and high fat. I worry I'm helping the sugars out but negatively impacting my cholesterol levels. Although I understand the high fat diets are 'healthy fats', like olive oil and avocados - but still that's all in moderation too right?

I worry about this with the low carb diets because mostly I see meal plans which are low carb and high fat. I worry I'm helping the sugars out but negatively impacting my cholesterol levels. Although I understand the high fat diets are 'healthy fats', like olive oil and avocados - but still that's all in moderation too right?
It works though its brought my
BS down far more than anything else. Weight came down madly at first. I think i went drastically keto and made myself ill for a frw dsys but its levelled out to about a pound to two pound a week which has been good . i am anxious about my bloods and my heart when i go back. My testings for sugar are good but unsure their tests will be equal. The cholestral I dont test and think due to fatty things like cheese cream etc cant all be good fats. Or can they?
I’ve started Empagliflozin and my heart races which is why I am scared of salt.
As a child a lady called Mrs. Robinson died. I used to sneak the salt celler to her in bed when mum cooked her meals. Her husbsnd told me it would kill her as i was naughty giving it to her. i felt sorry for her and she was kind . However when she died for years i felt i was her killer. I was about seven then. So salt is in my brain as bad.
i do get lots of cramps but more so on this tablet.
However those and thirst are all this one does so I can live with it if it doing my sugars good too.
I am going to try electrolyte drinks to see if it helps the thirst plus the cramp.
i wonder what i will die of ?
We do all this n who knows.
ah well we gave to live until it happens

Back