Rubbish pharmacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange or yellow? I was curious so I looked it up.

'The Safe Management of Healthcare Waste guidance published by the Department of Health(2006) provides a new national colour coded system for the management and disposal of sharps and other healthcare wastes.'

Orange containers for disposal of sharps, excluding those that have been contaminated with medicinal products and their residues

Yellow can also be used to dispose of sharps contaminated with medicinal products and their residues, other than Cytotoxic and / or Cytostatic medicines

(for the latter whatever they are you need a container with a purple lid)
So it looks as if you only use lancets then you should use an orange box but a yellow one if you use insulin as well.

Thats my Monday morning trivia.

How lucky we are here. In the middle of nowhere and over the next hedge.
Surgery is 5 miles away and has excellent relationship with local pharmacy.
I keep a 'kitty' there and all but one drug can be sent by postservice at very low cost.
I think that they are also trialing a reciprocal repeat script service with the surgery's computer system.

Had trouble a while ago when I needed a replacement pen. The prescription said a blue pen, but the chemist said they could only get a green one. It didn't matter that I did not care about the colour, I just wanted be be able to inject insulin!
Ended up calling the hospital and getting one from there. When I returned, I had a call from the chemists saying they now had my new pen. Oh well, I have a spare now.

Also, had trouble with sharps boxes with them. First time, they game me one with an orange top. Then they refused to take it back, saying they would only accept the yellow ones.

I had some fun the other day. My current script will run out while I am on holiday so asked the dragon on the front desk at the doctors for a repeat early and was given the run around.

So I went home and emailed my doctor direct. Got a nice email back to say repeat just done and would be faxed to the chemists after her next patient. 20 mins later I have my meds and some more strips............ That's what I call service.

Now I need to know how to get rid of that dragon.......

My sharps bin is yellow, with an orange lid - does that make it an orange one, or a yellow one?:confused:

Receptionists are far worse than pharmacists. I keep having problems ordering my repeats online through them. If I order Lantus, they keep giving me Lacets. I have to make sure I type Lantus Insulin.

My sharps bin is yellow, with an orange lid - does that make it an orange one, or a yellow one?:confused:
Orange.

That means that according to HelenM, you are getting the wrong one :(

Ditto , mine is too and I get my delivered by The Enviromental Services :confused: surely they'd give me the right one , they have it on record that I'm an Insulin user 🙄

We have the same bin -- eek!

And have had numerous run-ins with pharmacies and pharmacists...Went back and back to the (most convenient) pharmacy next to our GP -- time and again lancet problems, half the stuff not there...Gave up on them and now have script collected by a big Boots on the other side of town. From the start they made a commitment to always have stuff in, and they do, sometimes not the huge amounts of it, but they always have it, with my son's name on it! I did have a run-in about the number of strips we were using...but I don't care.!!!!

Orange or yellow? I was curious so I looked it up.

'The Safe Management of Healthcare Waste guidance published by the Department of Health(2006) provides a new national colour coded system for the management and disposal of sharps and other healthcare wastes.'

Orange containers for disposal of sharps, excluding those that have been contaminated with medicinal products and their residues

Yellow can also be used to dispose of sharps contaminated with medicinal products and their residues, other than Cytotoxic and / or Cytostatic medicines

(for the latter whatever they are you need a container with a purple lid)
So it looks as if you only use lancets then you should use an orange box but a yellow one if you use insulin as well.

Thats my Monday morning trivia.

im still slightly confused hehe. mine used to be yellow but now i get ones with a purple lid which is quite exciting 😉

but now i get ones with a purple lid which is quite exciting
have you checked whats in the latest insulin you're using? 😉

Do be careful it might turn you this colour :D

I think the colour just acts as a warning to the disposal operators as to what residues may be in the bins.

I couldn't remember what colour lid my (French ) one was so went and checked. It's none of those, it's transparent..

Last edited:
So there's some aspect of waste disposal that isn't EU regulated!

So, what is the difference between yellow and orange sharps bins? Apart from the colour!:confused:

nothing!! But some chemist insist you have to have what it says on script! Can understand why, but sooooooo frustrating 😉

im still slightly confused hehe. mine used to be yellow but now i get ones with a purple lid which is quite exciting 😉

ooo i see, so i should have yellow on the script really?

We seem to have selection of sharps boxes in all shapes and sizes- fascinating eh????!! Thought you'd all like to know that!!! One is completely useless as you can't fit the needle in it when it's got it's cap on. Now who on earth designed that??!!
Caryn 🙂

Well, I went to the pharmacy to pick up the items they didn't have on Friday. I gave them an extra day to be on the safe side...still no needles! Grrrr!!! So, I have insulin and test strips that will tell me I need insulin, but nothing to get it into me with! Rubbish!

Of course, I had a box full of needles when I putr the prescription in so I'm OK, but if I'd cut it fine it would have taken a week (so far) to get everything I need.😡

Well, I went to the pharmacy to pick up the items they didn't have on Friday. I gave them an extra day to be on the safe side...still no needles! Grrrr!!! So, I have insulin and test strips that will tell me I need insulin, but nothing to get it into me with! Rubbish!

Of course, I had a box full of needles when I putr the prescription in so I'm OK, but if I'd cut it fine it would have taken a week (so far) to get everything I need.😡

Some pharmacies have 'agreements' with other pharmacies whereby they can 'borrow' stock from each other - if you're getting close to the end of your own supply, it might be worth checking that option out........... (apologies if I'm stating the obvious)

xx

I have settled on a pharmacy now that I like. They usually have to order some stuff in for me, tends to be test strips they don't always ahve 4 boxes in stock, but I never leave myself too low that it matters. They do ask for my exemption every time which is slightly annoying. My home pharmacy asked for it once recorded the details and never asked to see it again.

Hope you have got everything you need now

I have settled on a pharmacy now that I like. They usually have to order some stuff in for me, tends to be test strips they don't always ahve 4 boxes in stock, but I never leave myself too low that it matters. They do ask for my exemption every time which is slightly annoying. My home pharmacy asked for it once recorded the details and never asked to see it again.

Hope you have got everything you need now

It's a Boots pharmacy and the only convenient one for me as it's the only one in walking distance and next door to the surgery. Things seem to have gone to pot since the pharmacist left and they've had various others in there since so they haven't quite got their act together it seems. They've never asked for my exemption. I'll probably go later today to see if the needles are in. Although it's fairly close, it's still at the top of a very steep hill and I'd rather not keep spending my time and energy in wasted journeys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back