Recently diagnosed type one needing answers please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It as you already know, is going to take time. It sounds like you're grieving right now , which is perfectly normal !! be patient with yourself be how you need to be. Come here to have a rant if/when you need to, believe me we all need to do that sometimes.

I feel selfish spending most mornings crying hysterically then getting on with it. I'm quite up and down emotionally at the moment since diagnosis as it affects my current job in public services and career and it's quite hard to deal with that.

Thank you so very much!

Hi Eleanor - and welcome to the club that nobody wanted to join!!

Read this - bet nobody in your family has seen it - and I'd been diabetic over 30 years before I did, but I recognised going through every flippin stage. I had NO idea that's what it was all about, inside your own head! Why didn't anyone TELL me?

http://www.businessballs.com/elisabeth_kubler_ross_five_stages_of_grief.htm

Hope it helps.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you! At least it's a supportive club!

Thank you for the link I shall do some bedtime reading 🙂

Some the feeling up and down could be down to fluctuations in your blood sugar's.

Some the feeling up and down could be down to fluctuations in your blood sugar's.

Yeah I've seen that happen to my brother and since having diabetes I've experienced lots of highs and lows and when I run high I am very snappy and tearful.

I think I'm more emotional due to the fact type one means I can now no longer do my job that I've wanted to do since I was 6/7 years old and I have been off work since November. You can imagine my frustration and sadness. I'm a little heart broken.

Yeah I've seen that happen to my brother and since having diabetes I've experienced lots of highs and lows and when I run high I am very snappy and tearful.

I think I'm more emotional due to the fact type one means I can now no longer do my job that I've wanted to do since I was 6/7 years old and I have been off work since November. You can imagine my frustration and sadness. I'm a little heart broken.
What is your job.

What is your job.
I am a technician for the ambulance service. To my knowledge at the moment you cannot drive response (blue light driving) which is part of my job if you are a type one as they have not lifted the blanket ban yet. It is different in some trusts dependent on their policies however mine states no driving response if insulin dependent. No other work available within my company.

I am a technician for the ambulance service. To my knowledge at the moment you cannot drive response (blue light driving) which is part of my job if you are a type one as they have not lifted the blanket ban yet. It is different in some trusts dependent on their policies however mine states no driving response if insulin dependent. No other work available within my company.
Oh no! Have you contacted HR and Occupational Health to get clarification? I worked before I retired in Health Service and I had colleagues who were Type1.

Welcome Eleanor.

It takes a while for things to settle at the start, and it is difficult to be patient about it. There is a lot to learn at the start but you have experts in the family already, so that will help. However it is different when it is you yourself. Don't feel guilty for having a good cry. I still have my moments 9 years into this.

I hope that the appointment with the consultant goes well. Are you able to take someone else with you? It can help as there is a lot to take in and someone else taking notes can help you to pick up things later that you may have forgotten or missed.

Oh no! Have you contacted HR and Occupational Health to get clarification? I worked before I retired in Health Service and I had colleagues who were Type1.
Yeah they're both saying the same thing unfortunately... :(

Welcome Eleanor.

It takes a while for things to settle at the start, and it is difficult to be patient about it. There is a lot to learn at the start but you have experts in the family already, so that will help. However it is different when it is you yourself. Don't feel guilty for having a good cry. I still have my moments 9 years into this.

I hope that the appointment with the consultant goes well. Are you able to take someone else with you? It can help as there is a lot to take in and someone else taking notes can help you to pick up things later that you may have forgotten or missed.

Hello,

Thank you for your support.

I just feel bad because my brother gets on with it (even though he has had type one for 16 years) and also my sister has got on with it gestational type one now permanent type one.

I can't hold it in though!

Fortunately my mum is actually off work and im glad she can come with me as I know there will be a lot to talk about and I won't remember everything as I'm exhausted and emotional.

Thank you for your advice of bringing someone with me, everyone on here is so amazing and friendly (I didn't expect anything less) and it's helping me so much.

Hello Eleanor, welcome. Lovely name. 🙂

How about ringing DiabetesUK Helpline, they maybe able to give you some advice.
The diabetes website says the same thing and it depends on trust policies. DVLA also states you can't drive response if on insulin.

Me and my mum who's got lots of knowledge on DVLA and current legislation/law have done research and it's still a no due to risk associated.

I last looked two weeks ago can't imagine it's changed since then.

It is rubbish but I've even had it confirmed by my company so that's that.

It may not actually pay Eleanor, but with some sorts of 'Emergency Response' training I should think volunteer organisations could find good use for you. Again probably not immediately cos you might be a bit too emotional - and then anyway, surely a vacancy will arise not too long in the future in the Trust for another position somewhere not involving Blue Light driving? Covering maternity or sickness leave, whatever it is. Agency work?????

It may not actually pay Eleanor, but with some sorts of 'Emergency Response' training I should think volunteer organisations could find good use for you. Again probably not immediately cos you might be a bit too emotional - and then anyway, surely a vacancy will arise not too long in the future in the Trust for another position somewhere not involving Blue Light driving? Covering maternity or sickness leave, whatever it is. Agency work?????

My company are looking to diversify for roles that do not involve Emergency Response driving such as patient transport etc but this won't be in place for at least another year and financially I can't wait much longer having been off for two months. I've even offered to go in for office days where I will be assisting with admin or stock takes for vehicles but this isn't even allowed due to diagnosis. It's their policy.

I've actually applied to volunteer in a Community Day Centre helping older people and those with disabilities locally so I feel useful and can put my knowledge and passion for helping others to use.

My manager and HR have said that I could not work at the moment due to T1 and no other roles for me to do. So I'm not sure what I'm meant to do.

Has your employment actually been terminated within a WEEK? - You are on sick leave anyway right now!

Has your employment actually been terminated within a WEEK? - You are on sick leave anyway right now!

They were waiting for my antibody result to come back which didn't come back until 31/1/17. Since then have obviously informed boss of situation and HR/OCC health aware and all saying can't do my job as a type one diabetic but nothing has been done yet... so not entirely sure what is going on think they're waiting to see what consultant says tomorrow! Not that that will make much difference as still gonna be type one

Hi Eleanor welcome to the forum I was the exact same when I was first diagonosed and gradually the levels went down
Ah ok phew.

I have been creeping up from 10.3 since after dinner (2 hours after) to 15.6, to 18.9 now I am 22.6 and feeling very unwell - nauseous and very drowsy

Have had my Lantus background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back