Really can’t cope with much more

That is sounding very positive Amanda.
What sort of crafty projects has Mark got planned?

My last corporate job involved the sale of a division and the resultant redundancy for a lot of people, including myself. I was one of the last to go.

The immediate responses from those receiving the news (some individually and some in a group) varied enormously and for long serving employees it was particularly tricky - even though their golden handshakes were, in some cases, erm,.... LARGE.

A few years on, bumping into the odd person, or seeing something on Facebook, I read may stories that have taken different and sometimes unexpected turns, but in all cases the bump in the road of redundancy has now faded to a memory, and a home extension or such likes.

It's a tough time, @AJLang , and there will be times, in the wee, small hours when you each might question the choices you have made, but don't.

Different is good.

When I had my long sailing trip I learned very quickly it was possible to live a great life without a ginagerous salary each month. I have no idea what your partner's work is/was, but there are some good opportunities out there for even things like proof reading Uni theses, writing corporate policy documents and so on.

Onward and upwards might seem a stretch at the moment, but give it time.

Thank you very much everyone. Mark has been referred to a carer's centre so that he gets support for the caring that he does for me. He's also started tennis lessons and hopefully going to acting classes one evening a week. It gives him a break from the day-to-day stuff which he had been doing more and more for me since he started his sabbatical just over a year ago.
We're now looking forward to our new life and have just come back from a week's holiday in Sheringham which was really lovely and restful. A tiny bungalow perfect for us and only five minutes wheelchair push to the sea and in other directions to two pubs and a busy high street. We booked the holiday a few months so the timing of going away couldn't be better.
@SB2015 Mark is trying a range of crafty projects, mainly wood based. For some of these he is tied to the weather being nice because they're too messy for the house. Unfortunately we can't don't have a garage and can't afford a workshop for him to do them in.
In his spare time Mark also designs colouring books some of which he has published on Amazon in the past.
@AndBreathe I hope those people appreciated those large handshakes.

Thank you very much everyone. Mark has been referred to a carer's centre so that he gets support for the caring that he does for me. He's also started tennis lessons and hopefully going to acting classes one evening a week. It gives him a break from the day-to-day stuff which he had been doing more and more for me since he started his sabbatical just over a year ago.
We're now looking forward to our new life and have just come back from a week's holiday in Sheringham which was really lovely and restful. A tiny bungalow perfect for us and only five minutes wheelchair push to the sea and in other directions to two pubs and a busy high street. We booked the holiday a few months so the timing of going away couldn't be better.
@SB2015 Mark is trying a range of crafty projects, mainly wood based. For some of these he is tied to the weather being nice because they're too messy for the house. Unfortunately we can't don't have a garage and can't afford a workshop for him to do them in.
In his spare time Mark also designs colouring books some of which he has published on Amazon in the past.
@AndBreathe I hope those people appreciated those large handshakes.
Love a good colouring book. That’s a great hobby!

Sounds like steps in the right direction.

Holidays always help as a reset.

It sounds like you are settling into a new way of life, and that Mark is finding new things to do. I look forward to seeing what Mark makes.
A cousin in Italy does ‘coloured walks’. She goes walking and gathers/photographs/draws anything she sees in that colour. Afterwards she produces something based on her findings/observations, and then includes one ‘uninvited guest’ of another colour and frames them.

So glad to hear that you are able to start seeing some positives going forward. I have faced the same issues a few years back, redundancy, close family serious illness and less money coming in. We had to make a lot of decisions and changes in our life.Change is always scary especially when you don't choose to instigate it. Wishing you both all the best for the future and hoping a slower less stressful life helps you both.

Back