Pumpers - would any of you go back to injections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attachment to a device twenty four hours a day does get very annoying at times. It's great snagging any errant tubing on a trolley from A&E and then sliding a patient onto your bed on the ward. That said, I don't think I'd be able to do my job without it. I need to get an Hb A1c done. Since pumping it's been consistently under 8%
I would go back to MDI to get a bloody rest. I've had to when my pump broke last year but it wasn't for long. I still correct using syringes and the like because I'm old fashioned like that.

cannula issues are my biggest gripe.....what problems do you have with yours and what type are you on? I changed from teflon to metal d link 8mm, I change them every 24-36 hours....seems better.

I am finding that after about 36 hours they start get sore, 48 hours and they are tender to touch, if I push to the 3rd day then they become painful.
So I am changing every other day now. When i take the cannulas out there is redness. It's not the sticky definitly the cannulas. I am wondering if I am sensitive to the teflon.

Currently trying a rapid d accu-chek steel cannula, but need to get hold of some animas steel cannulas, although I don't like the look of them as there are two sticky points. After this I need to try the angled cannulas.

Hopefully I find one I can keep in for 2 days without becoming sore, if not I will have to change more often like you seem to need to do.Is it due to soreness or poor absorbtion that you need to change yours Phil?

I keep my steel ones in for about five days at a stretch. They are quite handy. The two sticky bits can be a bit of an issue but when say, your pump falls out of your pocket it doesn't actually pull on the cannula and isn't really painful. Saves a lot of issues that does. I use pretty much every cannula Medtronic offers which is handy.

That's great news Monica - I remember you being a bit worried about extra testing and stuff before she started.

Yes I was, but she's doing well. She had promised she would test more and she has. We only had on little blip.

I keep my steel ones in for about five days at a stretch. They are quite handy. The two sticky bits can be a bit of an issue but when say, your pump falls out of your pocket it doesn't actually pull on the cannula and isn't really painful. Saves a lot of issues that does. I use pretty much every cannula Medtronic offers which is handy.

Tom, 3 days is the longest you should go before changing your cannula irrespective of type! Also I'm a little surprised you take corrections with a pen why not bolus your correction with your pump???

I am finding that after about 36 hours they start get sore, 48 hours and they are tender to touch, if I push to the 3rd day then they become painful.
So I am changing every other day now. When i take the cannulas out there is redness. It's not the sticky definitly the cannulas. I am wondering if I am sensitive to the teflon.

Currently trying a rapid d accu-chek steel cannula, but need to get hold of some animas steel cannulas, although I don't like the look of them as there are two sticky points. After this I need to try the angled cannulas.

Hopefully I find one I can keep in for 2 days without becoming sore, if not I will have to change more often like you seem to need to do.Is it due to soreness or poor absorbtion that you need to change yours Phil?

I couldn't get on with teflon so changed to steel, I need to change regularly, partly because the absorbtion is a problem but also it gets sore after 2 days. Lyperhypertrophy has also been a problem for me previously on MDI so I might have some scar tissue that I may be hitting with cannula insertion.

Tom, 3 days is the longest you should go before changing your cannula irrespective of type! Also I'm a little surprised you take corrections with a pen why not bolus your correction with your pump???

If I get highs of fifteen or more I just assume a set fail. I correct using a syringe which seems to act a bit quicker than a pump correction. I then change set and crack on. No fuss. I don't mind keeping the cannulas in that long. I've not had trouble with it.

Hi, medtronic rep emphasized 2 days for changing steel and 3 days max for tephlon cannulas, you are at risk of infection and lypohypertrophy any longer, your call though 🙂

If I get highs of fifteen or more I just assume a set fail. I correct using a syringe which seems to act a bit quicker than a pump correction. I then change set and crack on. No fuss. I don't mind keeping the cannulas in that long. I've not had trouble with it.

The reason for your 'set fail' is probably because you have had your cannula in too long? If I had a reading of 15 or more for no other reason than getting a carb count wrong I would change my cannula and correct immediately.....no more insulin pens for me! Any DSN or consultant would tell you that you should not keep a cannula in for more than 3 days Tom.

Nah, my sets tend to go belly up if I've put them in badly. Haven't had them go because they've been in too long though. There are patches on my stomach that seem to change every so often as to whether they'll tolerate a set or not. There are also rather vascular areas that just suck for cannulas.

Hi, medtronic rep emphasized 2 days for changing steel and 3 days max for tephlon cannulas, you are at risk of infection and lypohypertrophy any longer, your call though 🙂

Tom has has been told countless times about the dangers of leaving his cannulas in for more then the prescribed time.
At the end of the day it's Tom who will suffer from losing his pump due to no where to place cannulas. Tis a shame but as they say you learn by your mistakes.🙄

Interesting to see how many of you change at 2 days. I usually try to hold out for 2.5 but they do usually itch a bit after 48 hours.

Oh I don't worry to that degree Mike, couldn't be arsed when I got up today so will do it lunchtime.

Carol usually changes hers every 3 days, same as the insulin cartridge, which is almost empty by then anyway.
On a couple of occasions she's changed it earlier as the insulin had run out or the following morning (she normally changes it before dinner at 5)

I try to always do it every 2 days - ie every other day, so if I can't remember when I put it in I just have to think if I put one in the day before. If not, I change it! Sometimes I go to 3 days, but I have quite sensitive skin and the adhesive starts to itch after a couple of days.

I change reservoirs as and when needed, sometimes they line up with set changes, sometimes not.

Carol usually changes hers every 3 days, same as the insulin cartridge, which is almost empty by then anyway.
On a couple of occasions she's changed it earlier as the insulin had run out or the following morning (she normally changes it before dinner at 5)

Hi Monica,

I tend to try and change mine before breakfast and then test 2 hours later, then if there is something 'wrong' I can sort it out rather than risking not later, I once did a cannular change late evening and the next morning I woke to a high reading (and had been all night no doubt) due to a cannula problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting how threads change from the original question. (I'll stick by my original replay to that one)

With regards to set changes I'm a three day guy and so far (2.5 months), apart from some earlier issues with the 9mm sets that I switched to 6mm, my sets seem to be lasting to three days easily without itching or soreness. I'm slowly moving round to the back now although I need to perfect my one handed insertion to get any further round than my right 3/4 where I am currently.

Nah, my sets tend to go belly up if I've put them in badly. Haven't had them go because they've been in too long though. There are patches on my stomach that seem to change every so often as to whether they'll tolerate a set or not. There are also rather vascular areas that just suck for cannulas.

......so your readings of 15+ are not a set/cannula/absorbtion fail then? 😉

I tend to try and change mine before breakfast and then test 2 hours later, then if there is something 'wrong' I can sort it out rather than risking not later, I once did a cannular change late evening and the next morning I woke to a high reading (and had been all night no doubt) due to a cannula problem.

Yeah, I tend to change mine before a bolus of some sort (snack/meal) so I can see fairly quickly if the insulin isn't getting in properly.

Re how often you change set, the guidelines are there for a reason and it's important to remember that all kinds of damage can happen below the skin where it can't be seen or felt which may cause longer term issues. I'm sure we're all guilty of leaving the odd cannula in a day or so longer that normal if it's behaving well, but doing it regularly with full knowledge that you shouldn't be is a tad risky!

Hi Monica,

Before Breakfast😱 no time!!!! Although I wake her at 7.15, she doesn't get up till 7.45 to leave at 8.20 latest!!
We were told to do it before a meal, so just before dinner at around 5 to 6, 2 hours later would be around 8. Then the before bed test at 10/10.30. So if there's a problem, we'd notice either at 8 or at bedtime.

I put a repeat appointment in my outlook calendar for every 3 days, so that it will remind me around lunchtime to take the insulin out of the fridge. If for any reason Carol changes it at a different day, I'll go and change the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back