Pumpers - would any of you go back to injections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babysaurus

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am pregnant and have been having hideous hypo's so have been recommended for a pump, which should be with me in about a week (it's being rushed through super fast.) I previously had been told that pumps were for people who couldn't cope with adjusting their insulin doses to what they were eating and didn't take things seriously, it was like a pump was a last resort for those who are clueless. Due to this I had a bit of a issue at first with it being suggested that I would benefit from one, but I am thankfully over that now (as found out that what I have been previously told is not neccessarily the case.)
So, can I ask you experienced pumpers, would you ever go back to insulin injections now you have experienced life on the pump? And what would you say is the best, and easiest, aspect of being on a pump? This is all very new to me so I would love to hear from real life users (so to speak!)
Thank you!

Quite the opposite IMO, not for the clueless as hard work involved in the setting up - and the rest! you need to be dedicated to frequent testing, understanding basals, sensitivity, how to make adjustments. Whoever gave you that impression was misguided.

It is great in giving flexibility around eating and activity, great feature for us is the temp basal. Been extra great for sick days too.

We didn't get the best out of the pump until we read "Pumping Insulin" John Walsh a little down the line, I would reccommend you go out and get this, it will help immensley.

Finally, good luck with your pump, do you know what make you are getting? 🙂

Hi, thanks for replying. I have since been assured that pumps are not for the clueless, but I still have to remind myself it's not because 'my diabetes is out of control' due to my own wrong doing!
I am getting the, I think, Accu-Chek one - do you know it?
Is the basal rate the constant rate which you can turn up and down depending on activity / carb consuming? Its still all VERY new to me is this pumping lark so I have to double check!

Hi I have recently gone on a pump and would not give it back. In my opinion pumps are for those who have tried everything to manage their levels with MDI but to do success. Somethings e.g. DP can not be got rid off however hard you try with MDI.

The pump allows much more flexibility on your levels. I have 7 different basal rates for different times of the day, which can not be done on MDI. Also the absorption of the insulin is better than with MDI.

I would have loved a pump during pregnancy, but no luck, they would not prioritise me. Do you get to keep it afterwards too?

How far along your pregnancy are you know?

What you were told previously is frankly bollards - you can't drive a pump successfully unless you know the principles of carb counting ..... inside out. If you were told that, you have my express permission to string them up, or re-educate them - depending on how much time you have to spare :D

Would I go back to MDI - I cannot imagine ever doing that voluntarily, no, not ever, not whilst I have my marbles etc.

Having my basal insulin exactly right, every hour of every day, which then makes it so much easier to do the rest of it - carb ratios; correction ratios. Also I find out much sooner when I have a prob. Let's say I've hit a lipo with my cannula. If I had put one of 3 daily bolus jabs into that spot and my BG went up because the insulin didn't absorb I might not notice that for hours and hours (esp if it was a low-carb meal) - just that my BG was inexplicably high at next test. With a cannula because all the insulin goes into the same spot - so hence I get none of my insulin - no basal working away in the background, remember - I'll feel pretty horrible pdq, test and suss it out a heck of a lot quicker. And put it right quicker. So I can keep my BG in range for more hours of every day, than I could on MDI.

In 6 months my A1c plummeted from 8.4, I think it was - to 6.5.

I think that speaks for itself, really .....

PS someone on another forum got her pump when she was preg like you - Ellie is 3 now and her mum is still pumping!

Hi, yes the basal is the backround rate.

Another feature which is great is the extended bolus which can be delivered over "x" amount of time to match the digestion of what you've eaten, we need this for pizza, pasta and the occassional fish and chips which take a good bit longer :D

A pump is the best up to now & would take on a few people if anybody tried to take it off me !! If you have the chance to get one ??? :confused:

Thank you for your replies! It is all so very new to me so the more info and viewpoints I can get, the better!

My last Hba1c was 5.3 so I need to get it a bit higher, I have been told I was a little bit too keen on the tight blood sugars which has now screwed up my hypo awareness. Apparently the pump lets you alter things more rapidly and effectively.

Rachel - I am now 18 weeks and I have been told that I might not want to give the pump back after I deliver in June. We shall see....

Yep, the background (basal) rate allows you to tweak the small amounts you'll be getting hour by hour, great for things like planned exercise when you might want less, or lazy days when you do nothing and might need a bit more! Bolus is the word for the bit of insulin you take with your food or to correct a high BG.

I've been on the pump for 18 months and it's great. It isn't a magic wand and can't make your levels perfect, but it can certainly help if there are particular issues your body is having that you can't quite make injections work for!

As others have said, pumps are NOT a last resort and I hate it when clinics treat them that way. To use a pump you need to be fairly clued up and willing to put in the effort to get the best control you possibly can 🙂 (my old clinic were the same - I got told a lovely story about a girl who only had a pump because 'she'd be dead otherwise', charming!)

......the answer to the question is.....Nooooooo!!

This will be quick. I've only been pumping for just over two months after not being convinced about it for years.

I can't see myself wanting to go back. The flexibility, speed and preciseness of correction is outstanding. Yes it takes effort to manage it but it's worth it.

Glad it's not just me who's beed fed the 'pumps are a last resort' line!

I get mine on the 1st Feb. Eeeek! Quite excited actually, it's just a bit nerveracking as I am pregnant so have minimum room for error!

I love my pump experience.....wouldn't give it up under my own free will.

I like the ease of basal adjustment and how a bolus can be easily split into 2 or 3 smaller-boluses.

No, my control is so much improved on the pump. I'm having cannula issues at the moment but even so the positives outweigh the negatives

No, my control is so much improved on the pump. I'm having cannula issues at the moment but even so the positives outweigh the negatives

cannula issues are my biggest gripe.....what problems do you have with yours and what type are you on? I changed from teflon to metal d link 8mm, I change them every 24-36 hours....seems better.

a big NOOOOOOOO from Carol too

a big NOOOOOOOO from Carol too

That's great news Monica - I remember you being a bit worried about extra testing and stuff before she started.

So far so good! 🙂

I still don't like the whole cannula business and find being attached a bit of a nuisance at least 2 or 3 times a day, but it's a price worth paying for the precision and flexibility of delivery.

Will be interested to see what my A1c comes back at - I have a 'spare' one floating around that I'll probably schedule for around March.

The last few days have been ridiculously good and it has helped with lots of situations that used to be almost impossible to get right on MDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back