Pump start diary (Dana + dexcom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's perhaps specific to the dana pump, but it's the connection between the insulin reservoir and the pump. It's re-used each time to refill the syringe and then drives it in the pump itself.
So if you mislay it you stuffed?

Thanks for explaining that, I rather think that it is specific to the Dana.

The problem itself does remind me what happened - to a good many people with them, including myself with my first Roche Combo pump - leading to Roche issuing a dire warning to the world.

The Combo has a detachable insulin reservoir which has the attachments to enable it to be filled directly from a 10ml vial of insulin in exactly the same way as a conventional syringe is loaded with the liquid medication you require in it. You then remove the pointy bit at the top of it and then place a plastic thingy over the neck of and over the top of the body of the reservoir, which has the thread of a screw on the outside of this plastic bit. The thread to screw the reservoir into, is in the pump itself. The space in the pump also contains the piston so you have to return the piston to the bottom of the chamber where it goes, which it does for you when you stop the insulin delivery prior to removing the empty reservoir, after you instigate the 'change reservoir' sequence on the pump menu. The trouble was, if you did not attach the tubing to the neck of the reservoir before loading it, whilst screwing it in and fiddling about attaching the tubing - insulin leaked from it down it's side(s) into the chamber that the piston sits at the bottom of. The trouble is - the insulin dries and jams the piston rock solid!

Oopsie - guilty as charged. But - nobody knew!

I've no idea whether they could eventually un-jam the workings or not, because nobody at my clinic ever got feedback - and Roche just replaced the pumps affected but did not issue the dire warning for several months. Now they tell you to both attach the tubing AND load the reservoir with the pump upside down!

Over the 24 years I've used Novorapid so far I must have dribbled God knows how much of it over this that and the other in this house and over our possessions - and never ever had any permanent stain or residue from it - so how the hell could that even happen?

Thank you! Hope your omnipod is working well for you?
The Pod's great but, having read your post, I feel like I'm driving around on square wheels LOL, your technology sounds so advanced! 😛o_O I'm looking forward to the rumours surrounding the Omnipod (and looping) coming true - asap. I think most of us would like to take more than just a step back from managing what sometimes/often (can't decide which) feels like a relentless condition. 😎

Yes - and one of the reasons I wish I'd taken the plunge with a Tslim (as the Medtronic 780 wasn't on offer) is because of the Control IQ loop system - I may well be mentally & physically capable of operating it now but ? whether I will be when I'm next due a change. But unless you've already got the system up and running well before you go gaga, the Carehome's unlikely to have the time and expertise to do it for you!

The Pod's great but, having read your post, I feel like I'm driving around on square wheels LOL, your technology sounds so advanced! 😛o_O I'm looking forward to the rumours surrounding the Omnipod (and looping) coming true - asap. I think most of us would like to take more than just a step back from managing what sometimes/often (can't decide which) feels like a relentless condition. 😎
I’ve heard omni5+ loop has been fda approved in the US so hopefully on its way here 🙂The camaps clinical trial is ongoing but coming to an end and fingers crossed when it reports there will be more evidence as to the value of looping and the difference it makes and It will be more available. Having libre widely prescribed is such a huge leap forward, hopefully looping will be the next one! Honestly so grateful to be in a time and place where these tools and tech are possible.

I’ve heard omni5+ loop has been fda approved in the US so hopefully on its way here 🙂The camaps clinical trial is ongoing but coming to an end and fingers crossed when it reports there will be more evidence as to the value of looping and the difference it makes and It will be more available. Having libre widely prescribed is such a huge leap forward, hopefully looping will be the next one! Honestly so grateful to be in a time and place where these tools and tech are possible.

Never good time to be diagnosed that's a fact,but your right with tech now available managing type 1 is getting easier, still pain time consuming but much better than decades before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back