Pump start diary (Dana + dexcom)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just take a pen with fast-acting insulin in @Saoirse For many years, I didn’t even have a basal insulin back up. Despite this very obvious tempting of fate, I never needed it. None of my pumps have broken or needed replacing.

morning @Saoirse

Cannulas do get clogged, things can go wrong.
I have a site become very painful so needed to change unexpectedly.

If I am within 1 hour from home (either walking or with a phone call for a lift) I just take JBs and test kit. I add a small bag with 2 cannulas& cartridges and insulin as well as a syringe so that I could draw off small boluses if I have space. If more than one hour from home I take my pens too.

If going away I take two sets of stuff for each change over, as well as two sensors for each change.
Having had a pump fail on holiday I was glad that I had my pens and that they were in date.
(Only once did I forget to check that the pens had some insulin in!!!!)

I just take a pen with fast-acting insulin in @Saoirse For many years, I didn’t even have a basal insulin back up. Despite this very obvious tempting of fate, I never needed it. None of my pumps have broken or needed replacing.
Thanks! I still have some pen-insulin and staying on prescription so I guess this makes sense. guess the downside is potential to have to throw out unused insulin.

If going away I take two sets of stuff for each change over, as well as two sensors for each change.
Having had a pump fail on holiday I was glad that I had my pens and that they were in date.
(Only once did I forget to check that the pens had some insulin in!!!!)
Eek. That sounds hairy. Or not because you had back up! Time to replace the little bag that carries all my day to day kit for something a bit bigger I think.

Thanks! I still have some pen-insulin and staying on prescription so I guess this makes sense. guess the downside is potential to have to throw out unused insulin.

There’s nothing to stop you bolusing from the pen if you have some left, or want to save the insulin in your pump. Also, when you’re persistently high, it’s often best to correct with a pen.

Also remember that people usually use less insulin on a pump, so that kind of makes up for it anyway.

You are likely to end up wasting background insulin if you are away and need to take your background pen, as you pump is unlikely to go wrong, but you need to be prepared. (only one breakage whilst away in 12 years of pumping. To save wasting quick acting you can take syringes and draw off boluses from a vial as needed.

Having had a very unusual broken pump whilst away I was glad to have both pens available to fallback on, and not having to bother about using syringes. When I go away I date the pens showing when to discard it, and just need to remember to check that they are in date when I next go away.

Best to keep yourself safe and accept the wastage in my opinion. I have just discarded a couple of asthma inhalers as they are now out of date. I rarely have an attack but if triggered I need my inhaler. In my mind that is not a waste, just keeping me safe.

My approach is to take pens if out overnight but just syringes if out for a few hours. If I take pens, I return the cartridge to the fridge when I return (making a note of total number of days out of fridge). That way, I have less pen cartridge wastage than if I always carried them with me.

You are likely to end up wasting background insulin if you are away and need to take your background pen, as you pump is unlikely to go wrong, but you need to be prepared. (only one breakage whilst away in 12 years of pumping. To save wasting quick acting you can take syringes and draw off boluses from a vial as needed.

Having had a very unusual broken pump whilst away I was glad to have both pens available to fallback on, and not having to bother about using syringes. When I go away I date the pens showing when to discard it, and just need to remember to check that they are in date when I next go away.

Best to keep yourself safe and accept the wastage in my opinion. I have just discarded a couple of asthma inhalers as they are now out of date. I rarely have an attack but if triggered I need my inhaler. In my mind that is not a waste, just keeping me safe.
Yes I agree the priority is being safe. The dietitian today gave exactly the same advice re travel, pens and also bringing set changes as mentioned above. [just in case it came across that way I really wasn’t criticising when I mentioned ’waste’ rather noting that it was likely some unused insulin would be binned]

Yes I agree the priority is being safe. The dietitian today gave exactly the same advice re travel, pens and also bringing set changes as mentioned above. [just in case it came across that way I really wasn’t criticising when I mentioned ’waste’ rather noting that it was likely some unused insulin would be binned]
It did not come across as any criticism at all the mention of waste. It is somethings that concerns a lot of us, but we can only do our best to minimise this. It bothers me all the packaging that comes with the pump ‘stuff’ but that is how it is.

So glad the dietitian was on the same message too. Our spares and stuff is a lot to carry around, and I have some very smart small shoulder bags which never get used now, unless I persuade OH to carry the JBs and bag with cannulas etc.

Just a new ‘normal‘ for each of us. I look forward to reading more of your progress. Are you using insulin now instead of saline? I have lost track of time.

Insulin start update:
Am up and running on insulin since yesterday. last week I hypoed overnight twice, one of those being a double hypo and a good days TIR was 40%. My time in range for the last 24 hours is currently 89% with less insulin that I normally take, and even though some of than is residual levemir I am still quite stunned.

The pump setup itself took about an hour and a half. We did a quick review of the past week and how it had gone. My poor trainer was quietly appalled that I’d not used the inserter and gave me a gentle ticking off (paging @Inka). In fairness when we did the insulin set up, it was still fiddly but not rage-inducing, so I’ll stick with it for now. Have to say that all the homework did pay off, having the ttd for each day and all the apps already downloaded, diasend set up etc did make everything go smoothly. I got a call last night and this morning to check in on how I am doing and we’ll speak again tomorrow. I am currently running open loop.

Thoughts for the newly pumping
having had a saline start is something I really value, it gave a chance to get used to everything knowing that a mistake was not going to do anything bad. Am far more confidenot that I would be otherwise I think

my trainer suggests leaving the old set in until the new one is up and running, which means if the new one has a problem you can hook back up to the old one while you sort it out, I though that was a nifty idea.

Put your basal pens in a drawer, so as not to absent-mindely inject 😱 ( no I didn’t do it, but moving from mdi to pump is breaking habits and I can easily see how it could happen)

It’s been a weird 24 hours and I’ve cried more in that time than I did at diagnosis (but maybe that was the heat). Thanks to all for your comments and support. I’ll update in a few days when it’s all settled down a bit.

Ha ha! :rofl: A ticking off, eh? Join the rebels:D Interestingly, my first 6 or so pumps (they only lasted 2 years each) didn’t even have inserters.

When I swapped to a pump, my insulin reduced by 25% and now when I have a pump break and use pens I have to increase my insulin. It’s interesting to see, isn’t it?

Sorry to hear you hypo’d. Did you manage to sort your basal to avoid that? My overnight rates vary a lot from the beginning of the night to the end. Don’t be afraid to drop your basal right down for an hour or two or more if you need it. One hour of the night, I have zero insulin, and very low amounts for a couple of other hours.

You’ll get more confident fairly quickly. It’s very normal for everything to seem a bit overwhelming the first couple of weeks or so. All the pump chores will become second nature and much, much quicker.

That brings back memories, so strange not injecting but most importantly not doing basal jab on evening, it's good feeling mind so well done so far your doing really well.

That is all sounding good, and great that you have such a good team around you supporting you through the change over. It is reassuring to know that you do a download of data and then just talk it through, and get advice on changes.

The tearfulness is no surprise. It is a massive change, but you are already seeing a difference in TIR. I like the idea of pens tucked away somewhere to avoid old habits creeping in.

The change of basal rates through the night that was such a big help. It took some time to remember that if I want lower basal at 4:00 am I need to change the basal rate at 3:00 with the time lag in the action of our insulin And as @Inka says this could be even down to 0 units.

There will seem a lot to do at present, but this will all become part of your new routines.

Looping update

I have been running HCL since thursday, rather sooner than I expected. The first 48 hours or so my numbers looked good so my dietictian gave me the option of waiting a few days or going for it, and I opted for the later, which was a simple as toggling a button on the app into auto mode. I have four different basal throughout the day and these still need a bit of tweaking, but so far, apart from a kerfuffle yesterday with the pump itself, everything has (touch wood) gone smoothly. I was expecting lots of basal testing, but this hasn't proved necessary. The mere fact you can adjust basal on an hourly basis throughout the day is amazing and transformative. I don't hypo anymore on arrival at home after work which was a had been a frequent occurrence, i woke up today after a hypo-free night on a lovely straight-line 4.9. Miraculous. Not having alarms going off constantly (high and low) is so so nice.

More than the numbers though ,my entire body feels lighter. I knew diabetes was taking up a lot of my mental bandwidth, but I had no idea how much.

Thoughts:
I was initially a bit resistant to having a pump. The idea of something attached to you all the time was not one I embraced; I barely notice it. Equally, being something of a control freak, I was not that mad about the idea of a piece of software taking over and running my BGLs for me. How could I trust it? Very easily, it turns out :D.

Pump kefuffle on friday needed a quick trip to clinic to sort it out, where brilliant trainer got me back on track. An early reminder that its not all smooth sailing and things do go wrong.

I woke up with a start at 5am yesterday panicking that I had not taken any basal. Took a moment to realise 🙂

A question: do you carry spare cannula or even pens with you? I travel a bit in the uk and might spend eg a full day two or three hours from home. I mean cannulas seem pretty secure an’ all, but is this something you do? I don’t mean travelling overnight, just daily stuff. Sorry if this is a daft question.
I was well and truly caught out due to not taking any spares with me last week. Went to town for a dental apt and cannula came off by the time I got home blood sugars were 20+ :( and it took all afternoon to get my numbers down again.

Moral of the story take a spare cannula or back up syringe.

Sounds like things are going well with some odd glitches on the way.

It takes a bit of getting used to but like you once looping I found I needed to think a lot less about my Diabetes. That was the biggest benefit from my point of view. I have got caught out a couple of times as I became a bit complacent and forgot that things do still go awry at times and we still need to have everything with us.

Wow, it sounds like you've hit the ground running. I'm really pleased for you @Saoirse.

I've had one meltdown since starting on the Omnipod, but was expecting it really cos switching to a pump is a big change. I've been surprised by how fantastic it feels not to have to inject. I'm not even aware of the cannula. I'll admit, I'm jealous that your basal is already pretty much sorted. I can see it's going to take me a while to get on top of things, but my diabetes has never been straightforward. As far as I'm concerned, pumping rocks!

You're tempting fate now .......

Wow, it sounds like you've hit the ground running. I'm really pleased for you @Saoirse.

I've had one meltdown since starting on the Omnipod, but was expecting it really cos switching to a pump is a big change. I've been surprised by how fantastic it feels not to have to inject. I'm not even aware of the cannula. I'll admit, I'm jealous that your basal is already pretty much sorted. I can see it's going to take me a while to get on top of things, but my diabetes has never been straightforward. As far as I'm concerned, pumping rocks!
I had plenty of meltdowns when I first switched to a pump, and a few more when I went over to closed loop. Give yourself time to adjust and also time to make adjustments that will be necessary to get it to match what you need. A big change but worth it. Keep in touch to let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back