Pre diabetes or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fasting blood is generally about 5.8, though it was 4.8 this morning (small triumphs). Re banana you are probably right, I was probably on a journey towards lower blood glucose readings and as I hadn’t had a blood test for two years I may have actually been in the diebetic range at one time, but without banana my daily average is 5.5 nothing like the average of over 7 required for a result of 44. According to the link supplied by Lucy, the retune study by prof Taylor shows weight loss still helps people go into remission who are not overweight, as long as they don’t go into the underweight category, the underweight category for me is anything below 6st 5 lbs so that isn’t going to happen.

Even if you pass every diagnostic test know to man?

I disagree with your opinion.
See the link I posted that explains why this is the current position

I can appreciate both your points of view, for me if I hadn’t added banana to my diet every day for two months prior to my test, my result would probably have been in the 30’s and the prediabetic label would never have been added to my medical file. As it has been, I am now facing a nine month preventing diabetes course to learn how to make better lifestyle choices, and the label will never be removed, I can only ever obtain remission, a bit like an alcoholic who will always be an alcoholic even if dry for 20 hrs. On the other hand it Is good to know how banana affects me, and that I am still showing signs of insulin resistance despite being a healthy weight and making good lifestyle choices, in that my fasting bloods are often still in the prediabetic range.
The point is, a non diabetic whose body is working properly would be able to eat a banana every day with no concerns whatsoever. They could eat multiple bananas if they wanted. Your body can’t cope with multiple bananas and even if you stop eating them you still have the underlying issue. The annual tests and remaining classified as prediabetic is important as if your diet control slips it will pick that up and highlight it to you.

The point is, a non diabetic whose body is working properly would be able to eat a banana every day with no concerns whatsoever. They could eat multiple bananas if they wanted. Your body can’t cope with multiple bananas and even if you stop eating them you still have the underlying issue. The annual tests and remaining classified as prediabetic is important as if your diet control slips it will pick that up and highlight it to you.
I get your point, I suppose it is lucky I was eating the banana because otherwise the problem wouldn’t have been picked up. I wonder how much is to do with diet control though, and how much is endocrinology. I know I have a problem with insulin resistance as I have a history of pcos, and low carb doesnt always mean normal blood sugar I have had high fasting blood glucose when in ketosis. Hopefully over time maintaining a healthy weight and being active will reduce the insulin resistance and maybe one day I will be able to eat a banana and have a normal insulin response.

I get your point, I suppose it is lucky I was eating the banana because otherwise the problem wouldn’t have been picked up. I wonder how much is to do with diet control though, and how much is endocrinology. I know I have a problem with insulin resistance as I have a history of pcos, and low carb doesnt always mean normal blood sugar I have had high fasting blood glucose when in ketosis. Hopefully over time maintaining a healthy weight and being active will reduce the insulin resistance and maybe one day I will be able to eat a banana and have a normal insulin response.
If you have been having the banana early in the day when people are often more insulin resistant that could be a reason. But having it as a desert with cream or yoghurt later on may be fine.

If you have been having the banana early in the day when people are often more insulin resistant that could be a reason. But having it as a desert with cream or yoghurt later on may be fine.
That makes sense, and according to the glucose goddess if I then went for a walk even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back