Pre diabetes or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's remission from diabetes.
Pre-diabetes is 42 to 47.
If you're < 48 then you can still be in the prediabetic range.
Yes it doesn’t give a definition of remission from prediabetes but given prediabetes is “at risk of diabetes” and means your body is already struggling to manage diabetes, then we can assume the same applies. I.E one a1c under 42 doesn’t mean your body has no problems with glucose control at all any more, that you still have prediabetes and if you went back to normal eating your risk of diabetes would increase further.

Because without testing I would never have known it was the banana.
I meant that now you know it was the banana, you’ve cut it out, why continue spending money on testing if you’re not making any other changes.

I meant that now you know it was the banana, you’ve cut it out, why continue spending money on testing if you’re not making any other changes.
I am not sure what other changes I should be making, I am a healthy weight, physically active, eating a low carb healthy diet and keeping my blood sugars between 4 and 7 according to the testing I have been doing. I started finger testing when I first got the diagnosis but moved to libre 2 yesterday with the intention of doing it for one month to get a better picture of what is going on. I had been told that my average blood sugar had to be over 7 to get the result of 44, The libre 2 is really useful as it is picking up variations I would not have seen with finger testing. For instance I have just come back from exercising and my blood sugar dropped during exercise but rose quite quickly on my return, it is useful to see how my lifestyle affects my blood sugar, and maybe further changes will be necessary.

next hba1c from your arm says 33 then you’re still a prediabetic
Not really correct.. the previous HbA1c if 2 months ago could well have been impacted by dietary changes already.

Kind of depends how you define "normal eating" though.
True, my normal is Michael Mosley’s 800 diet interspersed with 5:2, holidays, Christmas etc. iI am quite small so don’t need that many calories. Tbh that’s why I was so shocked to be diagnosed as prediabetic, my ”normal” diet is supposed to be the cure.

True, my normal is Michael Mosley’s 800 diet interspersed with 5:2, holidays, Christmas etc. iI am quite small so don’t need that many calories. Tbh that’s why I was so shocked to be diagnosed as prediabetic, my ”normal” diet is supposed to be the cure.
Is that something that for you is sustainable long term.
I suppose I regard myself as Type 2 even though my HbA1C is in normal range ( I hope, I have a test this week )

Any idea how many carbs that contains..?
I'm not a fan of starving yourself as long term it rarely leads to successful remission.
I've never really investigated Moseley's dietary advice after meeting him in person.. (he wasn't very impressive).

Is that something that for you is sustainable long term.
I suppose I regard myself as Type 2 even though my HbA1C is in normal range ( I hope, I have a test this week )
Yes, I gain when I go on holiday but get back on the diet when I return. I am 4 ft 10 and my BMR 1100 calories. I keep a very close eye on the scale and know that if cauliflower rice is exchanged for real rice for instance I will start to gain.

Not really correct.. the previous HbA1c if 2 months ago could well have been impacted by dietary changes already.
The previous hba1c was prediabetic though at 44.

The previous hba1c was prediabetic though at 44.
Indeed but that was 2 months ago according to the OP.
I went from 87 to 36 mmol/mol by changing what I ate in 3 1/2months (13 Oct to 26 Jan 2016) with no medication.

Indeed but that was 2 months ago according to the OP.
I went from 87 to 36 mmol/mol by changing what I ate in 3 1/2months (13 Oct to 26 Jan 2016) with no medication.
Not sure what your point is. The OP has been diagnosed with pre diabetes based on the result of 44. It doesn’t matter whether they made changes before that or not, they still have prediabetes.

Not sure what your point is. The OP has been diagnosed with pre diabetes based on the result of 44. It doesn’t matter whether they made changes before that or not, they still have prediabetes.
If their next HbA1c is 33 mmol/mol then how can they still be pre diabetic?
If my next HbA1c is 30 mmol/mol or lower do I still have T2 diabetes?

If their next HbA1c is 33 mmol/mol then how can they still be pre diabetic?
If my next HbA1c is 30 mmol/mol or lower do I still have T2 diabetes?
They’d be a prediabetic, successfully managing it by diet. Just like you’d be a T2 diabetic successfully managing it by diet. If either started eating loads of carbs and sugar your body wouldn’t be able to cope and bgs would be high.

started eating loads of carbs and sugar your body wouldn’t be able to cope and bgs would be high
But wouldn't that be rather a silly thing to do.. ?
Although in my case I have "passed" an OGTT so not sure you'd be correct.

Edit to add so you think that "remission" or "reversal" is unachievable?

Hi, I had a Hba1c of 44 a couple of months ago, I have been testing my blood sugar since then and my estimated HbA1c via mySugr is 33, but my fasting bloods are nearly always in the prediabetic range. I just wondered which type of reading is more important?
You are looking at a guess - it is only as good as the software used and your own reaction to carbs.
I reduced my maximum intake of carbs by 10 gm per day and after a year my Hba1c was exactly the same. Some things just seem to be what they are, and can't be guessed at or affected.

Edit to add so you think that "remission" or "reversal" is unachievable?
Remission and reversal are completely different things. Reversal isn’t possible, remission for a period of time is possible but you are still diabetic even if in remission. Remission is just taken to mean blood sugars (hba1c) are currently im the non diabetic range without medication for more than 3 months I.E. 2 hba1cs. You’re not cured if you’re in remission, you’re still diabetic, you still need to attend diabetes reviews, and you’re still at risk of problems returning if you don’t stick to your dietary diabetes treatment.

You can read a bit more about remission here https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...eating-your-diabetes/type2-diabetes-remission

You’re not cured if you’re in remission
Even if you pass every diagnostic test know to man?

I disagree with your opinion.

Even if you pass every diagnostic test know to man?

I disagree with your opinion.
I can appreciate both your points of view, for me if I hadn’t added banana to my diet every day for two months prior to my test, my result would probably have been in the 30’s and the prediabetic label would never have been added to my medical file. As it has been, I am now facing a nine month preventing diabetes course to learn how to make better lifestyle choices, and the label will never be removed, I can only ever obtain remission, a bit like an alcoholic who will always be an alcoholic even if dry for 20 hrs. On the other hand it Is good to know how banana affects me, and that I am still showing signs of insulin resistance despite being a healthy weight and making good lifestyle choices, in that my fasting bloods are often still in the prediabetic range.

I can appreciate both your points of view, for me if I hadn’t added banana to my diet every day for two months prior to my test, my result would probably have been in the 30’s and the prediabetic label would never have been added to my medical file. As it has been, I am now facing a nine month preventing diabetes course to learn how to make better lifestyle choices, and the label will never be removed, I can only ever obtain remission, a bit like an alcoholic who will always be an alcoholic even if dry for 20 hrs. On the other hand it Is good to know how banana affects me, and that I am still showing signs of insulin resistance despite being a healthy weight and making good lifestyle choices, in that my fasting bloods are often still in the prediabetic range.
To be honest whilst a banana (little stick of sugar) can increase blood glucose levels significantly for a while I'm not sure all the blame can be placed on that for your HbA1c of 44 .
I'd guess that, like me, over time your body has become a bit overwhelmed with the amount of carbohydrate that you (and I) were consuming.. the daily banana might have just been the final straw!
What do you consider the range for fasting bloods that implies pre diabetes to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back