Pre diabetes or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBeresford

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, I had a Hba1c of 44 a couple of months ago, I have been testing my blood sugar since then and my estimated HbA1c via mySugr is 33, but my fasting bloods are nearly always in the prediabetic range. I just wondered which type of reading is more important?

Hi, I had a Hba1c of 44 a couple of months ago, I have been testing my blood sugar since then and my estimated HbA1c via mySugr is 33, but my fasting bloods are nearly always in the prediabetic range. I just wondered which type of reading is more important?
If the hba1c from your arm said prediabetic then you’re prediabetic. MySugr is only estimating based on the fingerpricks you put in, so it will be affected by when you test, it’s not seeing the full picture.

how many readings are you taking? And when are you taking readings?

If the hba1c from your arm said prediabetic then you’re prediabetic. MySugr is only estimating based on the fingerpricks you put in, so it will be affected by when you test, it’s not seeing the full picture.
I also am now using libre2 and it says my blood glucose is averaging 5.5. I am about 4.5 pre food and 6.6 after.

I also am now using libre2 and it says my blood glucose is averaging 5.5.
Neither libre2 or a fingerprick meter can be used for diagnosis of diabetes. They’re useful tools for managing diabetes, but the blood test from your arm is the only one used for diagnosis. That means you do have prediabetes, regardless of what libre or MySugr say now you’ve made changes to improve your diet.

So if m
Neither libre2 or a fingerprick meter can be used for diagnosis of diabetes. They’re useful tools for managing diabetes, but the blood test from your arm is the only one used for diagnosis. That means you do have prediabetes, regardless of what libre or MySugr say now you’ve made changes to improve your diet.
So if my Hb1ac says 33 but my fasting bloods are 5.8 - 6, then I am not prediabetic? I was just asking which test takes precedence.

So if my Hb1ac says 33 but my fasting bloods are 5.8 - 6, then I am not prediabetic? I was just asking which test takes precedence.
If the next hba1c from your arm says 33 then you’re still a prediabetic, you’re just managing well with diet. Your next hba1c won’t exactly match MySugr though as it’s only an estimate.

I actually haven’t made changes to improve my diet other than cutting out 30 gms of banana I was having for breakfast.

If the next hba1c from your arm says 33 then you’re still a prediabetic, you’re just managing well with diet. Your next hba1c won’t exactly match MySugr though as it’s only an estimate.
So you cannot reverse prediabetes, is that what you are saying?

33 isn’t prediabetic.

I actually haven’t made changes to improve my diet other than cutting out 30 gms of banana I was having for breakfast.
Why waste money testing if you’re not making any improvements based on the results? Might as well save the money and see what the next a1c is after cutting out the banana.

33 isn’t prediabetic.

33 is a MySugr estimate. Their actual a1c from their arm is 44 and so they’ve already been diagnosed as prediabetic.

33 is a MySugr estimate. Their actual a1c from their arm is 44 and so they’ve already been diagnosed as prediabetic.

I know that, but you said:

"If the next hba1c from your arm says 33 then you’re still a prediabetic,"

I know that, but you said:

"If the next hba1c from your arm says 33 then you’re still a prediabetic,"
Yes, if you’ve been diagnosed with prediabetes and improve it with diet changes, then you are still a prediabetic even if your a1c drops because as soon as you went back to previous eating your a1c would go up again.

Here’s the definition of remission from this website to prove that one hba1c under the prediabetes threshold wouldn’t mean you don’t have prediabetes any more, this is based on t2 so lower threshold of 41 for prediabetes and it also covers the risk remaining and needing to continue attending diabetes appointments eg not cured, just remission.

Attachments

• IMG_6278.png
    IMG_6278.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6279.png
    IMG_6279.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 7
how many readings are you taking? And when are you taking readings?
I am wearing a libre 2 now so testing all the time. 4.5 approx pre food 6.5 post and about 5.8 - 6 fasting. Average 5.5 over 24 hrs.

Here’s the definition of remission from this website to prove that one hba1c under the prediabetes threshold wouldn’t mean you don’t have prediabetes any more

That's remission from diabetes.
Pre-diabetes is 42 to 47.
If you're < 48 then you can still be in the prediabetic range.

The OP was speculating on what the next hba1c would be, given the estimates from various tools, and whether it would be in the prediabetic range or not.

I wouldn't place too much too faith in the tools, as both were giving me similar results (33) and the actual one was 39.

Here’s the definition of remission from this website to prove that one hba1c under the prediabetes threshold wouldn’t mean you don’t have prediabetes any more, this is based on t2 so lower threshold of 41 for prediabetes and it also covers the risk remaining and needing to continue attending diabetes appointments eg not cured, just remission.
Thanks.

Why waste money testing if you’re not making any improvements based on the results? Might as well save the money and see what the next a1c is after cutting out the banana.
Because without testing I would never have known it was the banana. Plus I am also trying to decide whether or not to ask for a repeat test based on my libre 2 results, though I think my drs surgery will only do it once a year. I will probably wait until three months have passed since my last test. One of the reasons I was asking was I have just read a couple of research papers that are suggesting that fasting bloods are a better indication of prediabetes and diabetes than the HbA1c test, if that is the general viewpoint then I will not achieve remission as long as my fasting levels remain high, and that level does not appear to be diet related, but more affected by insulin resistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back