People comments starting to get to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
so I had a universal credit meeting last Friday. I happened to need to do a blood sugar check while I was there to which person said "are you still trying to get you're blood sugars under control" and I found out at my appointment today they even wrote a note on my file for it.

Last edited:
Yes it irks me a little when my dentist makes some comment like.... are your BG levels under control now? The inference is... once you are diagnosed and get the hang of using insulin, it is all plain sailing and rosy after that... Yeh, right! 🙄

Yes it irks me a little when my dentist makes some comment like.... are your BG levels under control now? The inference is... once you are diagnosed and get the hang of using insulin, it is all plain sailing and rosy after that... Yeh, right! 🙄
yeah, and if your blood sugars are anything but normal it means you haven't got good control. I didn't use to mind doing checks it the fount of people but with things like that it puts me off a bit. I also had people tell me what to do if my blood sugar was high or low. eh leave me to handle my own blood sugar, please. I do it every day

Last edited:
Isn’t there some study showing that even non diabetic peoples numbers go up to something like 11 straight after eating before coming back down? Not sure if this is correct

Only words, tbh not something to get upset about in greater scheme of things.
yeah, easier said than done to the thing that most bothered me. they felt it was something log. and today the person was like "i think last time you can in you had some health issues with you're blood sugers"
Isn’t there some study showing that even non diabetic peoples numbers go up to something like 11 straight after eating before coming back down? Not sure if this is correct
yeah i wish i could tell people at work that because they seem fuss about what they are and fuss anytime I'm out of range either way.

Wouldn't worry about it, I nearly fell out with an advisor when I was on JSA, the eye clinic was held on days I signed on but they always had at least 2 months warning but she still sniped at me how it was funny my appointments for eye clinic was when I should sign on (they were even provided with my appointment letters)

yeah, easier said than done to the thing that most bothered me. they felt it was something log. and today the person was like "i think last time you can in you had some health issues with you're blood sugers"

yeah i wish i could tell people at work that because they seem fuss about what they are and fuss anytime I'm out of range either way.
maybe i should suggest go and buy a sensor and see what happens to their blood sugar(I'm joking)

They’re ignorant but they’re not alone in that ignorance. Next time explain that control isn’t something you do once, achieve and forget about, it’s a constant and continuous job, sometimes hour by hour. That work is needed day after day after day. Also mention the 42 things that can affect your blood sugar.

They’re ignorant but they’re not alone in that ignorance. Next time explain that control isn’t something you do once, achieve and forget about, it’s a constant and continuous job, sometimes hour by hour. That work is needed day after day after day. Also mention the 42 things that can affect your blood sugar.
only 42? 🙂 yeah she previously told me her nephew is on insulin.

Yeah, I reckon they missed some off the list too :D Practically everything affects your blood sugar, and often there’s no obvious reason why things have gone off-course. Which is why it’s extra-annoying when people think it’s because you made some silly mistake🙄

Yes, can happen.

As a type 2 I tested all my nondiabetic friends and family. I can't say they all went that high, but they certainly had spikes before the two hour test that is advised for a normal reading, and they certainly don't have diabetic complications!

As a type 2 I tested all my nondiabetic friends and family. I can't say they all went that high, but they certainly had spikes before the two hour test that is advised for a normal reading, and they certainly don't have diabetic complications!
This does make me question the 4-7 mmol/L in range

Apart from selling books, and worrying people unnecessarily, I tend to find it has no value.
I did post as a type 2 a while ago, for experiences from type 1's of their ranges, and any complications, and it does seem there is a lot of hype targeted at type 2's on BG control to the exclusion of any other possible health issues, and lifestyle choices.
Even to suggestions to test throughout the two hour range, in case the maximum peak is missed, and to limit that by changing lifestyle and diet.
Most I tested who were non diabetic, and around my age, would mostly have fallen foul of that, as BG gets worse with age.
My kids were certainly better, but still not perfect after Easter especially!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from selling books, and worrying people unnecessarily, I tend to find it has no value.
I did post as a type 2 a while ago, for experiences from type 1's of their ranges, and any complications, and it does seem there is a lot of hype targeted at type 2's on BG control to the exclusion of any other possible health issues, and lifestyle choices.
The issue is that the assumption remains - perfect BG control isn’t difficult. When we all know it is difficult! And all this goes on when non diabetics don’t realise that there pancreases do the insulin automatically with no issues

I don't think it's a terrible target: if you're trying to change your diet so that you limit the spikes, trying to keep under 7 seems reasonable. But it's true that non-diabetic people don't keep within that range. From the article I mentioned above

We found that nearly all individuals without diabetes exceeded the IGT threshold of 7.8 mmol/l (140 mg/dl) at some point during the day and spent a median of 26 min (range 0 min to 6 h 52 min) per day above this level. We also found that one in ten individuals reached diabetic levels (11.1 mmol/l, 200 mg/dl). These findings suggest that glucose levels in persons without diabetes frequently reach IGT range concentrations and that a considerable proportion reach diabetic levels. Previous smaller studies have suggested similar patterns, albeit in more homogeneous populations. A study in 32 individuals with confirmed normal glucose tolerance found that seven participants (22%) reached glucose concentrations above 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl) during an average of 28 days of CGM and that participants spent on average 42 min/day at glucose concentrations above 7.8 mmol/l (140 mg/dl) [4]. In a smaller study, 15 hospital staff without known diabetes and monitored by CGM for 24 h were found to spend an average of 72 min/day with glucose levels higher than 7.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl) [5].​

I don't think it's a terrible target: if you're trying to change your diet so that you limit the spikes, trying to keep under 7 seems reasonable. But it's true that non-diabetic people don't keep within that range. From the article I mentioned above

We found that nearly all individuals without diabetes exceeded the IGT threshold of 7.8 mmol/l (140 mg/dl) at some point during the day and spent a median of 26 min (range 0 min to 6 h 52 min) per day above this level. We also found that one in ten individuals reached diabetic levels (11.1 mmol/l, 200 mg/dl). These findings suggest that glucose levels in persons without diabetes frequently reach IGT range concentrations and that a considerable proportion reach diabetic levels. Previous smaller studies have suggested similar patterns, albeit in more homogeneous populations. A study in 32 individuals with confirmed normal glucose tolerance found that seven participants (22%) reached glucose concentrations above 11.1 mmol/l (200 mg/dl) during an average of 28 days of CGM and that participants spent on average 42 min/day at glucose concentrations above 7.8 mmol/l (140 mg/dl) [4]. In a smaller study, 15 hospital staff without known diabetes and monitored by CGM for 24 h were found to spend an average of 72 min/day with glucose levels higher than 7.0 mmol/l (126 mg/dl) [5].​
It is good to stick to the target of 7.0 and below but I won’t do a correction unless my numbers spike as high as 14

It is good to stick to the target of 7.0 and below but I won’t do a correction unless my numbers spike as high as 14
We're all different, I guess. I find once I'm up to 12, I really need to do something. And that a small correction and some exercise (walk around the block or something) usually works better than just correcting.

yeah i was told not to below corecct below 10 but can I do after 10 but perherps I shouldn't be doing at 10 either. i usually like to try moving around a bit to see if that works first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back