Participants Needed for Professional Doctorate Research for People with Diabetes Type1 and Type2 Views on Barriers to Using Continuous Glucose Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yettybam

Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
My name is Yetunde Olayiwola, a Registered Nurse and Professional Doctorate student from Staffordshire University. I am researching the views and experiences of people with diabetes about Real-time Continuous Glucose Monitoring.

What is the purpose of the study? The purpose of this study is to speak with Diabetes type 1 or Diabetes type 2 people about their experience with the barriers of using a Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring device. It's critical to understand the important connection between treatment burden i.e., Barriers and adherence to RT-CGM use.

Hence to reduce stress and overcome obstacles and boost self-efficacy, it is better to understand diabetes people's perspectives.

I hoped this information can be used to better understand how devices users could better be supported.

I am keen to speak with people with diabetes who have used these devices, to understand possible barriers to using them. This would be through an informal interview over the phone or via a video call (Microsoft Teams) to ask about their experiences and thoughts.

The project title is People with Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 and Healthcare Professional Views on Barriers to Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring

If this sounds of interest and you would like to know more, please email me at

yetunde.olayiwola@student.staffs.ac.uk

This study has received Ethical Approval and this study have been approved by @Josh DUK

With very best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Please excuse my sniggering - as a type 2 in remission I get a single blood test each year, and a general health check.
I'd love the have a CGM issued just once a year - to be followed up by a serious discussion of what it showed. Surely that is not too much to ask of the NHS as having to do surgery or nursing care due to poor choices would be far more expensive.
It seems it is far far beyond any possible consideration.

Please excuse my sniggering - as a type 2 in remission I get a single blood test each year, and a general health check.
I'd love the have a CGM issued just once a year - to be followed up by a serious discussion of what it showed. Surely that is not too much to ask of the NHS as having to do surgery or nursing care due to poor choices would be far more expensive.
Type 2 here with daily blackouts and circulation disease, can’t get blood samples most days and can’t get access, it’s nearly impossible as type 2 to get access

Bog standard Type 1 here. I asked a couple of years ago at my clinic having been told I could have a Tslim but their Rep said it was pretty useless without Dexcom what chance there was of me getting a rt CGM since I quite fancied having a go at this closed loop business because I'm bloody fed up of having to monitor this that and the other every damn day relentlessly for over 50 years plus I'm not getting any younger and cannot possibly know whether I'm going to retain the mental capacity to do it - and was told No Way because we'd have to make a special case for you and we don't think you are one. So not wanting to bother to learn how to negotiate the vagaries of the Medtronic 640 - since I couldn't see any advantage there since the 780 had been available for a couple of years anyway but not being offered one and knowing the Omnipod couldn't possibly cope with my tiny hourly basal needs apart from it being so big in comparison to a Roche cannula, I just had to opt for another ruddy Roche Combo. Only other option was to revert to MDI. Will be another 3 years before I get another chance for anything different as the Roche ones last 5 years.

Hi do you mean barriers to access?
Good day Sharhp, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
My proposed research is mainly for people that have used the device previously or using it presently and the disadvantages of the device.

Last edited:
Hello Drummer, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
I do understand your concern, if you don't mind you can drop me an email and I can advise you as appropriate.

Bog standard Type 1 here. I asked a couple of years ago at my clinic having been told I could have a Tslim but their Rep said it was pretty useless without Dexcom what chance there was of me getting a rt CGM since I quite fancied having a go at this closed loop business because I'm bloody fed up of having to monitor this that and the other every damn day relentlessly for over 50 years plus I'm not getting any younger and cannot possibly know whether I'm going to retain the mental capacity to do it - and was told No Way because we'd have to make a special case for you and we don't think you are one. So not wanting to bother to learn how to negotiate the vagaries of the Medtronic 640 - since I couldn't see any advantage there since the 780 had been available for a couple of years anyway but not being offered one and knowing the Omnipod couldn't possibly cope with my tiny hourly basal needs apart from it being so big in comparison to a Roche cannula, I just had to opt for another ruddy Roche Combo. Only other option was to revert to MDI. Will be another 3 years before I get another chance for anything different as the Roche ones last 5 years.
Hello Trophywench, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
I have seen that you are a very active member of this group, I am pleased that you commented on my invitation.
Can I say, I have seen a lot of support and advice you have provided for so many people on this forum. Thank you for all you are doing and you are a role model to people with diabetes. Well appreciated.

My name is Yetunde Olayiwola, a Registered Nurse and Professional Doctorate student from Staffordshire University. I am researching the views and experiences of people with diabetes about Real-time Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
hi neither Type 1 or 2 but have been using Dexcom G6 with my Tandem insulin pump for over 4 years. Interested in my views?

Good day Sharp, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
My proposed research is mainly for people that have used the device previously or using it presently and the disadvantages of the device.
Thank you, that’s a pity, have yet to come across type that has access to cgm technology unless self funding

Hi @Yettybam I use a rtCGM as part of a closed loop system. Many of us using closed loop do so through self funding, so the population will be a very skewed Group. Whilst I self fund it, I still get excellent support from my team at the hospital, and also from others on here using the same and other such systems.

hi neither Type 1 or 2 but have been using Dexcom G6 with my Tandem insulin pump for over 4 years. Interested in my views?
Good day Martindt1606, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
Unfortunately, for this research, it is mainly for type 1 and type 2 Diabetes and I do not want to do anything that will invalidate my ethics approval.
I really appreciate your input.

Thank you, that’s a pity, have yet to come across type that has access to cgm technology unless self funding
Do you by any chance fall into the category of my intended participant please? If yes it will be great to drop me an email.
Thanks in anticipation

Good day Martindt1606, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
Unfortunately, for this research, it is mainly for type 1 and type 2 Diabetes and I do not want to do anything that will invalidate my ethics approval.
I really appreciate your input.
That’s a pity, and I fear it will further skew your research by excluding Type 3c (pancreatogenic) diabetes. I believe there are almost as many people with Type 3c as there are with Type 1.

Hi @Yettybam I use a rtCGM as part of a closed loop system. Many of us using closed loop do so through self funding, so the population will be a very skewed Group. Whilst I self fund it, I still get excellent support from my team at the hospital, and also from others on here using the same and other such systems.
Good day, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter, I am glad you are getting excellent support from your team. Can I please recruit you for my research as you fall into the categories of my intended participant?
Thanks in anticipation.

That’s a pity, and I fear it will further skew your research by excluding Type 3c (pancreatogenic) diabetes. I believe there are almost as many people with Type 3c as there are with Type 1.
Thanks Robin, however, it is beyond me now, I wish I can just add the other type of Diabetes to the group, but I tell you it is very complicated

Good day Sharhp, thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.
Your research seems flawed since the main barrier especially for t2 is lack of funding. By excluding those without access you’re biasing your research.

Your research seems flawed since the main barrier especially for t2 is lack of funding. By excluding those without access you’re biasing your research.
Thank you Lucyr, However for this research, it is mainly the type 1 and type 2 diabetes patients, as there are many types of diabetes and if I have to include all, it will be too much for me to handle.
Thanks for taking the time to read the invitation letter.

What is the purpose of the study? The purpose of this study is to speak with Diabetes type 1 or Diabetes type 2 people about their experience with the barriers of using a Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring device. It's critical to understand the important connection between treatment burden i.e., Barriers and adherence to RT-CGM use.

Hence to reduce stress and overcome obstacles and boost self-efficacy, it is better to understand diabetes people's perspectives.

I hoped this information can be used to better understand how devices users could better be supported.

I am keen to speak with people with diabetes who have used these devices, to understand possible barriers to using them. This would be through an informal interview over the phone or via a video call (Microsoft Teams) to ask about their experiences and thoughts.

The project title is People with Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 and Healthcare Professional Views on Barriers to Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring

If this sounds of interest and you would like to know more, please email me at

yetunde.olayiwola@student.staffs.ac.uk

This study has received Ethical Approval and this study have been approved by @Josh DUK

With very best wishes
For me the main barrier would be the cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back