Paranoid or sensible?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
But it's panic buying like that which causes shortages!
Exactly and not everyone has the space either cupboard or freezer to do that. That is if you can afford it. Most GP s don't allow ordering 3 months of repeats at once.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
My daughter couldn’t get any bread today in the two supermarkets she tried. She also said the tins and condiment aisles were quite empty. On the bright side there was plenty of loo rolls she said! I do hope all that nonsense doesn’t start again. It’s so stressful for everyone, customers and staff.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So many people are reporting colds, and of course the whole family will immediately self isolate then, just in case. Makes me wonder just how many kids will still be in school in a few weeks time! One of my neighbours is totally irresponsible, with masses of different visitors in and out daily, and the children run wild. Last week saw 3+ mums with assorted school age children and babies all walking up the hill together for school. When another mum remonstrated, all she got was "we'll be alright, I'm not going to stop seeing my friends". Sad falling out there!
Actually you don’t need to isolate if it’s a cold
The royal college of paed, have advised otherwise.

If the cold doesn’t feature a temperature, cough or loss of taste and smell then children should go to school as usual. Same rule for us all actually, it’s better to limit the spread but actually the harm too children will be more in the distributed education again.
15304208-AA36-447F-A6EA-826BFEBD2532.jpeg

travellor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Is it panic buying if you're advised to isolate, then find you have to go out and queue in shops. I'd rather get some things in, and keep trips out to a minimum.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think you have to make choices that feel right to you @Felinia - which it sounds like you are eminently sensibly doing.

Continuing with some things that are functionally important, or support your mental health and wellbeing, while also doing what you can to reduce your risks and potential exposure to the virus.

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
not if you start now.
in six weeks time when people realise there will be another lockdown that is when panic buying and shortages will start.
buying in bulk now is just being prepared.

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exactly and not everyone has the space either cupboard or freezer to do that. That is if you can afford it. Most GP s don't allow ordering 3 months of repeats at once.
i can carry a months supply of dry food in a rucksack if i need to and be mobile
3 months supply of rice , pasta ,dried beans,tomato puree,cooking oil ,onions and garlic will set you back £20-30 pounds.
not the best diet but will keep hunger at bay and provide food security,put it under the bed if space is an issue.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Is it panic buying if you're advised to isolate, then find you have to go out and queue in shops. I'd rather get some things in, and keep trips out to a minimum.
If you’re advised to isolate then you shouldn’t be going shopping, it's too late. If you built your stock up when lockdown started in March then you should have kept that level of stock, because Covid hasn't gone away. If everybody just bought things when they needed them, the supply chain would be able to keep up.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
not if you start now.
in six weeks time when people realise there will be another lockdown that is when panic buying and shortages will start.
buying in bulk now is just being prepared.
And if everybody starts now then we have the same situation we had in March. And if it all goes wrong after Brexit, there won’t be much any of us can do about it!

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
And if everybody starts now then we have the same situation we had in March. And if it all goes wrong after Brexit, there won’t be much any of us can do about it!
lucky everybody is not reading this post ,ignore the advice if you prefer ,just don't complain in six weeks time

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
lucky everybody is not reading this post ,ignore the advice if you prefer ,just don't complain in six weeks time
I won't

Becka

If you are advised to shield then why are you not getting supermarket delivery slots?

After the lockdown I registered on the government web site as needing help with shopping. Then all but two* of the main supermarket chains** emails me to say I have priority access to delivery slots.

And they are still offering priority delivery slots*** even though shielding has ended.

As much as I do not like doing supermarket shopping online, and in particular the loss of flexibility by having to do weekly big shops that twice weekly medium ones, I am continuing to do this than take the risk of a supermarket in person. Especially when Sainsbury's are wilfully ignore the law on face coverings, which gives me no confidence that any of the others will be any different.

* Ocado did not give me access because they only cared about existing customers, telling those shielding to use their usual supermarket. Thankfully no one else had that attitude as I had never needed to buy groceries online before. Yet since the end of shielding they can now give me priority access! The other not to offer me access is Morrisons, no idea why.

** Asda, Iceland, Morrisons, Ocado, Sainbury's, Tesco, Waitrose

*** Although Tesco has put the price up so it now costs more (£5.50) for a ten-hour priority slot than for a four-hour flexi-saver slot (£3.30) despite both being equally as plentiful.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Since the start of lockdown, I’ve tried to keep a two week food supply of main meals in, (besides a normal stock of store cupboard ingredients) just in case we get Test and Traced and suddenly have to quarantine for two weeks. I built up the stock gradually, and have made an effort to keep the stocks up, rotating it as I go. I’ve not gone mad, but I tend to buy more washing powder, for example, when I'm half way down the previous pack rather than when I’ve nearly run out. (having said that, I’ve suddenly realised we had the last tin of sardines for lunch yesterday, hope I can replenish tomorrow when I do my weekly shop at the co-op in the next town. I have shopped there throughout, because I discovered it’s virtually empty at 8am. I’ll be really cross if they haven’t got any because people have got six tins in the cupboard that they’ll never get round to eating.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Early January/February I started gradually buying a few extra bits week by week , mostly tinned food, I also found some powdered full cream milk , I’ve also got a couple of bottles of bleach ,some other cleaning products and hand wash. I’ve not gone mad, with care the food should last two months.

At the beginning of lockdown I had to spend loads of time finding a supermarket that had delivery slots available , these were supermarkets that I had used regularly for online shopping. In time W R emailed me saying they were offering me a weekly slot , phew , it made life easier but my pocket lighter lol
(No I was not on the gov shielding list)
Then later on I realised dad should be on the shielded list, COPD and no spleen, Soon after I sorted that the supermarket starting with A contacted us and offered dad a recurring slot , we initially opted for a fortnightly slot but since changed it to weekly.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm certainly not in a position to change the frequency of my prescriptions. If the dose is X per day, and that size tablets come in boxes of 28, 28 is what I can order. If the dose is 2 of them a day, then the repeat scrip will say I can order 2 boxes every 28 days.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It would have been nice had we been able to get a supermarket delivery slot when we entered lockdown however there was no opportunity to get one as all taken already everywhere we looked. So daughter offered to do it - had anyone realised it was going to go on this long we'd have kept trying but didn't. And she has improved over the months and doesn't condemn us to eg eating budget (dry, tasteless and smaller) scones now! If they haven't got the Tesco 'Finest' brand we actually like, she automatically looks for something else she knows we like instead. Many things like high meat content sausage - her kids say they don't like - because they are different and they've never had the opportunity to get used to them since she's never had the cash to buy them. Doubt they've ever had a tinned salmon sandwich let alone fresh salmon. Ditto Tournedos Rossini or Beef Wellington - and OMG try serving them a piece of steak of any cut that is PINK. Hold up the crucifix and string of garlic (though none of them would have the slightest idea why) They've all been inside a church (one christening) but clueless about the conventions of behaviour therein. You expect it when they're toddlers but when they are 8 - not.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Like you I couldn't get a delivery slot for love nor money. But these last few weeks I've been able to sign on with Morrisons, ASDA and Tesco. As a Type 1, I would have thought you should get a priority slot. I'm Type 2 and kept pestering until I got ones with Sainsburys and Waitrose. Now I'm spoilt for choice. I talk to the delivery drivers - suitable distanced of course - and they tell me there are lots more drivers taken on. One was actually a former Flybe pilot made redundant. My Morrisons delivery last week came in a plain white van.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Didn't matter who you were, you had no opportunity to tell them. I wasn't considered esp clinically vulnerable anyway, so I'd have registered it to Pete who is.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Our lot are full of colds and sneezing and have sore throats. It's not from staying in though, they're here there and everywhere and a lot of the young ones think it's all conspiracy theories. The taxi driver I had last week thought the same. :) He told me what Covid stands for but I can't remember what it is now. Everybody keeps saying Take yer mask off! Good grief. Mind you, I do have trouble breathing with it on, have to lean on walls gasping. :)

edit/ I'm very near Manc... explains a lot!