OMG I actually know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just been reading various threads and posts and realised how little I actually know! The words and abriviations etc *woosh* straight over my head lol.

for example- MDI?
and many others !!! lol

I've learnt a lot from here Lou. don't worry about it!

MDI - multiple daily injections.

Hi We all had to start somewhere so ask away.

dont worry lou make a little note then post up when you need too, we will try and explain xx

Don't worry, how would you be expected to know these things automatically? Many of us didn't understand abbreviations and certain terms - I've been here for 6 months now, and there's still stuff I don't get !! But it's mostly stuff for Type 1s, so I don't need to fill my (really quite small!) brain with it.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask, it's the easiest way to learn, and nobody minds a bit.

xx

Maybe we should have a glossary of the most commonly used abbreviations.

Maybe we should have a glossary of the most commonly used abbreviations.

That's an excellent idea! For a start, what are LADA and MODY?

Karina

I could swear my doctor was impressed with me earlier because I asked for an HbA1c test, I guess lots of diabetics dont even know what it's called :D

I could swear my doctor was impressed with me earlier because I asked for an HbA1c test, I guess lots of diabetics dont even know what it's called :D

That's not even the proper term...the real name is glycosylated haemoglobin. Hb is the shorthand for haemoglobin and the A1c is the type of haemoglobin, it's because there are approximately thirteen different haemoglobin molecules circulating in human blood as I recall.

Pedantic moment over.

I hate to admit it but yes, I tend to refer to it as the Hb thingy... 😱

try these hope it helps there is loads more but i think this is enough to be going on with

IDDM - Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (or T1 to you and me)

NIDDM - Non-insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (T2)

MODY - Mature-Onset Diabetes of the Young. T2 in under-30s, usually the term is only applied to those who appear to have developed the condition purely through genetics.

LADA - the opposite of MODY - Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (basically a form of T1 that occurs in adults that takes a while to develop, AKA T1.5) Also a poor-quality brand of car from the former USSR. Neither form of LADA is particularly fun to have and both require similar amounts of maintainance.

Dxed - diagnosed

MDI - Multiple Daily Injections (the insulin treatment plan that involves basal insulin injections and then bolus injections when you eat)

Basal - background insulin. This sort of insulin is usually long-lasting, slow-acting and shouldn't actually reduce your BG levels, it should just keep them constant.

Bolus - the extra insulin you take when you eat. Usually short-lasting, fast acting, and reduces any BG spikes.

BG, BM, BS - Blood Glucose, Blood Monitoring, Blood Sugar. All mean the same thing ie. it's the reading on your meter.

HbA1c - aka A1c. A blood test that evaluates your average BG for the last 3 months based on the haemoglobin of your blood cells. The more scientific-minded amongst us refer to it as 'how sticky your blood is'

DKA - Diabetic Ketoacidosis. What happens when you haven't got enough insulin. It's another form of metabolism that primarily burns fat and muscle and makes your blood all acidic. Will be fatal if not treated.

Ketones - waste products of DKA that show up in your urine. Generally not a good thing to have, although if you wake up in the morning and find really minor traces of ketones, it's probably not a problem, provided they go away.

Hypo - short for hypoglycaemia. Low blood sugar. Like being drunk but without the good bits. Needs some sugar in order to correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back