Numbers looking good at last, but now what?

I'm a newbie (diagnosed end of July!) so thanks for the thoughts and prayers!
I seem to be what I've seen @Drummer describes a your basic type 2 (albeit with a strong family history of T2). I was largely externally asymptomatic upon diagnosis but obese with a fatty liver.
As you say the most terrifying thing about being new is hearing all the different theories, some of which are in direct contradiction to each other and almost all go against my surgery's advice of eat brown rice and less potatoes. It really does feel you 'pay your money and take your chance'.

For me, actually the choice was easy, I wasn't going to calorie count as, after years of yo-yo dieting and disordered eating, that's the way madness lies for me
So, low carb and IF have been my choice. It seems to be working. My blood sugars, based on finger pricks, have never gone below 4 nor above 8.5 and I've lost 20lbs without remotely trying (which with my chequered past around diets is a really big deal). I feel -amazing. My digestion is better, my sleep is better, my menopause symptoms are better, I have energy that I didn’t have before. Plus, I really love the food I've been eating for the past 2 months!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very carb tolerant anyway (even without diabetes - I was pre-diabetic at 42 mmol, 12 months before diagnosis so I know I haven't been living with years of undiagnosed diabetes to explain 'carb sickness').

I'm presumptious, I know, posting in the remission section when the absolute earliest I could claim remission, if everything is straightforward, would be February 2026. I suppose I'm just echoing the idea that I would love to be able to say I was 'cured' eventually, with my beta cells dancing the tango and doing their thing but I think lower carb suits me irrelevant of diabetes and I'm not in a hurry to resume a way of eating that patently didn’t work for me even my metabolism supposedly wasn't broken.
All the labels - prediabetic, diabetic - very bad diabetic as my GP labelled me - and all the in remission and whatever - they are only labels and there is no thought if which direction a person is going.

Soon after diagnosis I was on my way back to normal - having got rid of the tablets making me feel so unwell I had already bult my barricade and set my flag on the top of it. The rebellion was underway and it was only a matter of time before the powers that be accepted that this was the future.

I'm a newbie (diagnosed end of July!) so thanks for the thoughts and prayers!
I seem to be what I've seen @Drummer describes a your basic type 2 (albeit with a strong family history of T2). I was largely externally asymptomatic upon diagnosis but obese with a fatty liver.
As you say the most terrifying thing about being new is hearing all the different theories, some of which are in direct contradiction to each other and almost all go against my surgery's advice of eat brown rice and less potatoes. It really does feel you 'pay your money and take your chance'.

For me, actually the choice was easy, I wasn't going to calorie count as, after years of yo-yo dieting and disordered eating, that's the way madness lies for me
So, low carb and IF have been my choice. It seems to be working. My blood sugars, based on finger pricks, have never gone below 4 nor above 8.5 and I've lost 20lbs without remotely trying (which with my chequered past around diets is a really big deal). I feel -amazing. My digestion is better, my sleep is better, my menopause symptoms are better, I have energy that I didn’t have before. Plus, I really love the food I've been eating for the past 2 months!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not very carb tolerant anyway (even without diabetes - I was pre-diabetic at 42 mmol, 12 months before diagnosis so I know I haven't been living with years of undiagnosed diabetes to explain 'carb sickness').

I'm presumptious, I know, posting in the remission section when the absolute earliest I could claim remission, if everything is straightforward, would be February 2026. I suppose I'm just echoing the idea that I would love to be able to say I was 'cured' eventually, with my beta cells dancing the tango and doing their thing but I think lower carb suits me irrelevant of diabetes and I'm not in a hurry to resume a way of eating that patently didn’t work for me even my metabolism supposedly wasn't broken.
you’re clearly doing very well on your chosen strategy and that’s what matters, so keep going and never mind all the other noise (including mine).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back