No Carbers/ low Carbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

insulinaddict09

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi , I thought I would put up a thread to discus the No Carb / Low Carb

approach to diet that a lot of us do . There are a lot of myths surrounding

the subject , and it is a personal choice for a lot of us . It is not suitable for

everyone but can easily be adapted to accomodate the individuals needs .

I have found that since restricting Carbs in my diet my levels have been a lot

lower and less erractic , I am also able to take less Insulin , and i am also

never hungry . When I was eating Carbs they increased my appetite and I

then having to have larger Insulin doses. If anyone has an oppinion for ,or

against then please make a comment , it is nice to see things sometimes from

another perspective and no offence will be taken :D:D

I would like to know what you guys eat intead of carbs. I know you've told me Anne, but C*5_Dodger what do you eat?? So you've replaced carbs by fat, what fat?

Basically I'm restricting the carbs I eat at the moment as ive found it helps with my levels, but I run out of alternatives. I only eat white meat and fish, no red meat.

I also eat steak at least once a week Katie , and eggs , cheese etc.

Are you eating plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit ?

I also eat steak at least once a week Katie , and eggs , cheese etc.

Are you eating plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit ?

eew steak 😉 i only eat chicken, might have to get some seafood.

I eat salad for at least one meal a day at the moment, with some protein too. And snack of fruit 🙂

Ha ha you dont like steak then Twin? well i do eat alot of seafood , Prawns are carb free and very low fat , little or no sugar content . watch out for bananas though when you eat fruit , they are high carb and sugar lol. the pottasium is good though.

it's all an absolute minefield to me im still gettin used to no salt or sugar in things

it's all an absolute minefield to me im still gettin used to no salt or sugar in things

Well steff thats the thing really , we all avoid .. well most of the time things

which we know are sugar laden but most people dont take in to account that

Carbs turn to sugar basically , so if you eat a lot of Carbs then it will effect

your blood glucose levels .

do they have carb counter things then to help ?

Yes you can get a book called collins gem carb counter , ive got a copy from waterstones , it was ?2.34 and free delivery .. it is small , so perfect for in your bag , its small purse size .

ooooohh excellent thats something i need to invest in x

Ha ha you dont like steak then Twin? well i do eat alot of seafood , Prawns are carb free and very low fat , little or no sugar content . watch out for bananas though when you eat fruit , they are high carb and sugar lol. the pottasium is good though.

nope i dont like any red meat hehe. i like seafood, but dont eat much of it.

I dont eat bananas much, usually apples. and grapefruit at the moment, which have carbs (and quite a few calories!), but are tastey 😉

ha ha i love grapefruit but i havent had it for ages lol . well apples .... i love granny smiths , tangy and juicy mmmmm

I thought that some proteins and fats have the same affect on your blood sugars hours later after eating them? Someone on the other forum took ages explaining to me in great detail how proteins can break down hours after being eaten and can cause a spike. 😉:confused:Bev

I thought that some proteins and fats have the same affect on your blood sugars hours later after eating them? Someone on the other forum took ages explaining to me in great detail how proteins can break down hours after being eaten and can cause a spike. 😉:confused:Bev

Good point Bev , I'm affraid I cant answer that one , I personally havent

noticed a spike . Dodger is a long standing well informed low carber and

would probably be able to answer that one for you .... I would like to know

if that is the case . I am only a novice at the moment where as Dodger has

been doing this for years with no adverse effects . Thank you for the input ,

it is a valid point to make.

We were told at clinic that too many bananas are not a good idea for a diabetic as too much potassium can lead to heart problems - which is a pity as Alex loves them!😡Bev

We were told at clinic that too many bananas are not a good idea for a diabetic as too much potassium can lead to heart problems - which is a pity as Alex loves them!😡Bev

Yes i was told that while in hospital , although at the time i did have low

potassium due to DKA . You need some potassium for a healthy heart but not

too much it seems ..:confused:

wow didnt know too many bananas would damage your heart!! 😱

I dont think it's true about protein causing a spike??? ive never been told about that. ive only ever heard about counting carbs and that fat can delay the breakdown of carbs or something...

I'm interested in this low carb thing. Is there any specific listing available, like the GI or GL lists, or do you just avoid high carb food?

Ceara

Hi ceara , well I personaly avoid Carbs as they cause my otherwise quite stable bloods to zoom in to the 20's even with covering them with a large dose of Insulin. Dodger is a long standing low/ no carber who would more than likely be able to help you out , he is very knowledgable on the subject.

wow didnt know too many bananas would damage your heart!! 😱

I dont think it's true about protein causing a spike??? ive never been told about that. ive only ever heard about counting carbs and that fat can delay the breakdown of carbs or something...
Yes im not sure about this Twin , ive not noticed it , maybe i just eat different protiens I dont know . yes it is true fats do slow down the rate that carbs / sugar hit the system .

with regard to your fat question , I use Extra virgin olive oil for cooking and i use butter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back