Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi folks,

This isn’t diabetes related but I have a Google and it’s not telling me anything and you all seem to know these sorts of things.

I’m on a waiting list to get my lazy eye corrected and have been for a couple of years. I no longer want it corrected as I no longer care. I don’t want to be making the list any longer so any clue who I need to contact to remove myself from the list?

Thanks.

I don’t want to be making the list any longer so any clue who I need to contact to remove myself from the list?
I assume you should ask your GP, but I'm not certain of that. I'd start by trying them anyway (they presumably referred you in the first place).

I assume you should ask your GP, but I'm not certain of that. I'd start by trying them anyway (they presumably referred you in the first place).
Thanks for your reply,I’ll see if I can get hold of my GP tomorrow. I might have to go down there myself,as none of the contact details for me are actually mine.

Thanks for your reply,I’ll see if I can get hold of my GP tomorrow. I might have to go down there myself,as none of the contact details for me are actually mine.
Is it not worth staying on the waiting list as having it corrected may be better for your eye sight in the longer term. People eyes change as they get older so it may be beneficial then. I would have a word with your optician if you have one before making a decision to take yourself off the list.

Is it not worth staying on the waiting list as having it corrected may be better for your eye sight in the longer term. People eyes change as they get older so it may be beneficial then. I would have a word with your optician if you have one before making a decision to take yourself off the list.
Thanks for your reply. It doesn’t effect my eyesight at all,it’s more of an aesthetic thing that I wanted corrected when I was about 12 because people were taking the mick out of me for it. On medical grounds,a correction isn’t needed.I do have an optician as I have glasses,but the referral was from my GP to the hospital,without involving them.

My daughter has/had a lazy eye. She was told that having a procedure to make them look straighter was purely cosmetic, and in fact it would be her 'good' eye that was operated on, to weaken the muscles in order to even it up with the lazy eye. She decided not to have it done. Nobody notices, and I remember the consultant saying that several famous actors (can’t remember names) have lazy eyes, which he notices, being trained to spot it, but the general public don’t!

I actually have a lazy eye myself (it might also be weeker of the two) it only makes thing awkward at eyes tests when I need to be looking though a hole to read things with that eye(it just wouldn't do it at my last eye screening)

Why not wait until you get sent an appointment letter, and reply to that if you want to cancel it?
Then your appointment slot would be freed up for someone who would be delighted to get an appointment "so soon"!

I would assume they’d need your parents consent as you’re under 18, I may be wrong and someone may know better than me.

I would assume they’d need your parents consent as you’re under 18, I may be wrong and someone may know better than me.
I believe, for medical treatment in UK, the age of consent is 16 (with the usual exceptions around capacity etc.).

I can't see anywhere how old the OP is - sorry

Looks like under 16!
I may remember wrong but i was pretty sure @Lily123 was starting next year and has a birthday in the school year already which would mean 16. Correct me If wrong

Hi folks,

This isn’t diabetes related but I have a Google and it’s not telling me anything and you all seem to know these sorts of things.

I’m on a waiting list to get my lazy eye corrected and have been for a couple of years. I no longer want it corrected as I no longer care. I don’t want to be making the list any longer so any clue who I need to contact to remove myself from the list?

Thanks.
Good luck with that. I made about 20 or 30 phone calls to the hospital to confirm I was definitely on the waiting list for my feet problems. Got nowhere fast.

I believe, for medical treatment in UK, the age of consent is 16 (with the usual exceptions around capacity etc.).

I can't see anywhere how old the OP is - sorry
Lily is 16.

My birthday is November 2007 so yes,I’m 16, just to clear that up. As @AndBreathe has said, the age for medical consent is 16.

I don’t want this surgery,it’s purely cosmetic and waiting for the letter isn’t really a viable option. My parents are trying to pressure me into it and at the time I know I would give in and agree to have it done when it’s not what I want. Yes my school are aware (it’s a long story) before anyone asks.

Thanks for the advice,I’ll see if I can get anywhere with the GP.

@Lily123 Do you know what department was doing it? If so, you can phone the hospital switchboard, asked to be connected to X Dept and they should be able to remove you from the list. If you have a hospital number (eg from the diabetes) that might help, otherwise you can give them your DOB, etc.

Thanks @Inka

I’m not 100% sure on the department but I can probably find out, that’s a really good idea!

My birthday is November 2007 so yes,I’m 16, just to clear that up. As @AndBreathe has said, the age for medical consent is 16.

I don’t want this surgery,it’s purely cosmetic and waiting for the letter isn’t really a viable option. My parents are trying to pressure me into it and at the time I know I would give in and agree to have it done when it’s not what I want. Yes my school are aware (it’s a long story) before anyone asks.

Thanks for the advice,I’ll see if I can get anywhere with the GP.
Do you have the NHS App? When mine updated recently, it now includes information on past and forthcoming appointment, and allegedly gives info on a referrals progress.

I can’t prove it works or not, because my only confirmed clinic appointments, at the moment are quite some time ahead. Could be worth a look though.

Yes if you have the NHS app it has a section on hospital referrals and who to contact. If you don’t have the NHS app it’s useful so worth looking into whether you can get it. If you need your parents help with getting it, then you can say you would find it useful to manage your diabetes eg for ordering prescriptions and seeing test results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back