NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme - Updated September 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryjaneholland

Apologies if this info already appears on the forum, but as newly diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes forum newbie, I am also posting to publicly thank and show gratitude to the amazing work done by Diabetes UK Northern Offices AKA "Our Friends In The North" who have immense knowledge, tips and sage wisdom for anyone living with diabetes North of Birmingham, Past the Misty Mountains where Orcs roam freely, and the grey drizzle insulates us all from the harsh glare of the Sun roughly eleven months of the year, by 'eck chuck, ya reet hun?!

In fairness, NHS England have updated the GP referral-only programme working with Diabetes UK to cover more regions of England (apologies I don't know what equivalent programme is available in Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, maybe moderators and co-ordinators will know?), from September 2023, so maybe worth checking again if your area wasn't covered previously and you meet all of the referring criteria...

I have been wisely informed it is harsh rigorous boot camp-style programme with strict low calorie low sugar low carb diet with initial goal of losing 10 Kg of excess weight using soups, shakes, exercise and sheer willpower, and I am here for it!

Bizarrely, nobody at my "Northern Outpost" GP Surgery has heard of this fully-funded NHS programme, despite it being available in my region for nearly full year, and I will be asking pointed abrupt efficious questions with my clipboard for NHS Integrated Board Bods to answer like cross between Sue Lawley and Joe Lycett - until I am satisfied thank you!

Good Luck for all the Diabetes UK folks attending consultations, and I will get there in future, when I have reclaimed my home from builders and have taken the power back over my broken damaged body, reduced mobility, and can find bouffant wig with spandex unitard to match my neon legwarmers for my Jane Fonda-inspired 1980's exercise classes, werk! 😉

I’m sure I’ve got a bouffant wig and spandex leotard spare somewhere I can send up north for you!

Now if only I can find someone brave enough to venture outside the M25 to deliver them to you… it’s the dragons that scare us southerners!

@ColinUK cheers for the wig and spandex leotard "here you can borrow mine, amateurs, ugh!" ha!

Well, the Dragons and Orcs conspired to shut down HS2 as most Northerners don't want super-highway exporting Southerners "Oop Narth" trying to dilute our accents and ways of life with their elocution lessons and drama school King's English and foreign muck food, going right through our back yards, no thanks!

Olivia Newton-John (RIP) is great retro exercise and wellness hero of mine too, but look away if you are easily offended as the 1980's was on another level with video nasties, "straight" pop stars looking very queer dearie and wall-to-wall sleaze everywhere except post-punk new wave bands obsessed with urban isolation, it was another time, and exercise wear was neon coloured and super-white tightie-whities, probably NSFW but not YouTube Age Restricted before I get reported again... (Let's Get) Physical by Olivia Newton-John 1981 😉

My method was just to restrct carbs, using a meter to check my blood glucose levels after eating, and in 6 months I was down to normal numbers in the HbAc test - I had been no longer diabetic at the first retest - and I have to say it was dead easy.
I didn't 'diet' but I lost lots of weight, felt so much better, and needed new clothes as my shape altered so much.
Maybe someone has a vested interest in persueding people that type 2 is really difficult to reverse for everyone, but really - for me it was pretty much a doddle.
I did have one year when my HbA1c was up a bit - but I think it might have been when I was ill, by the next test I was down at the low 40s again, and as I wasn't told about it until that next test I just kept on the same way.

Hey @Drummer out of curiosity, did you weigh out amount of carbs you had in your diet every day, as some people avoid all starchy carbs from grains, or try no carb diet?

I use "diet" to mean where your nutrition and calories comes from every day, not "Rosemary Conley's Bums & Tums & Thighs Lemon Water & Celery Fad Diet Book" to avoid confusion here!

I think the NHS remission programme involves food parcel deliveries for so many weeks, but everyone is starting somewhere from different locations, and all of my physical health issues are linked to obesity currently, so fatty liver, sad pancreas, sleep apnoea, insomnia, diabetes, battered feet, reduced mobility, lethargy, slow metabolism, depression, tiredness and low energy, and the solutions for me won't be quote "easy" but the pay-offs and health outcomes will be worth the hard work to reach my health & wellbeing goals in 12 months or so 🙂

Hey @Drummer out of curiosity, did you weigh out amount of carbs you had in your diet every day, as some people avoid all starchy carbs from grains, or try no carb diet?

I use "diet" to mean where your nutrition and calories comes from every day, not "Rosemary Conley's Bums & Tums & Thighs Lemon Water & Celery Fad Diet Book" to avoid confusion here!

I think the NHS remission programme involves food parcel deliveries for so many weeks, but everyone is starting somewhere from different locations, and all of my physical health issues are linked to obesity currently, so fatty liver, sad pancreas, sleep apnoea, insomnia, diabetes, battered feet, reduced mobility, lethargy, slow metabolism, depression, tiredness and low energy, and the solutions for me won't be quote "easy" but the pay-offs and health outcomes will be worth the hard work to reach my health & wellbeing goals in 12 months or so 🙂
I think different ways suit different people as everybody's tastes are different. I couldn't imagine a regime based on shakes with a few veggies once a day. I tried the Cambridge Diet (shakes and soups) about 35 years ago and it was dreadful, I tried it because someone I knew lost 8 stone but when I saw him years later he had put it all back on.
Since the diabetes diagnosis I felt that a low carb approach was something that I could adopt and cut my carbs to 70g per day, initially I weighed my portions and referred to my trusty Carbs and Cals book but essentially cut out potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and the obvious cakes and biscuits (not that I had them much) but still have bread in small amounts and made sure I only had 1 carby veg with meals.
I found the ethos in the Freshwell program (https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/ ) made perfect sense as did the explanation in Dr Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code.

Some people like a more prescribed regime whether it be low carb, low calorie or the shakes based approach but whatever people choose has to be enjoyable otherwise it will not be sustainable long term but others are self motivated enough to 'go it alone' .

I used the diet sheet printouts from my GP to light the barbecue in the days following diagnosis.
I did not weigh the protein and fat sources, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt.
To begin with I eliminated all carbs other than a little fruit and a bit of salad for about a week but I had been really pushed to eat a lot of starchy foods for almost 2 years and I felt really ill, plus I was started on Metformin and Atorvastatin, which had dire consequences, but after a few weeks I stopped taking them, and things got better after that.
I have a failed thyroid, but that has got quite a bit better since diagnosis, the sleep apnoea is not so severe, my liver is much smaller and sorter, most things are better than they were.
Grains were eliminated, I selected foods with 10% carbs or less. With foods such as mixed veges or fruit, stir fry, or multi portion items such as a swede or pumpkin, I estimate the portion size after weighing and calculating the total carbs - so I know that a swede will do for 3 or 4 days or 1/8th of a pumpkin even if it will only be good for a certain number of days and then be thrown away. I have had to accept that some food will be wasted. My diet is basically Atkins. That was what always made me feel well and I could lose weight easily eating that way.
I don't get hungry these days so I often forget to eat or have something small and then some coffee and think that I'll make a meal in a little while, then realise that it is time to make our evening meal. There is always something I could eat, I just never think about it.

@Leadinglights @Drummer thanks that's really useful info, in context of being told by NHS diabetes nurse at point of diagnosis to cut out sugars and have wholegrains, and not single qualified GP or Nurse at my GP Surgery has used the word "remission" or knows about the NHS remission programme, and none of the other NHS referrals have materialised, so there doesn't appear to be any other obvious pathway for me to reach my goals of losing weight in healthy way, gradually lower my blood glucose levels, undo the damage done to my liver and pancreas, and I can't afford several thousand pounds for private healthcare, or private one-to-one weight management programme delivered by nutrionist/dietician/personal trainer/lifestyle coach... I freely admit I am also terrified of finding out how much damage has been done to my body during many years of living with undiagnosed untreated diabetes, such as neuropathy, heart problems and podiatrist assessment of my damaged feet, as unfortunately I live in region of England where primary care services have basically said "b*llocks who cares?!" to NHS health screening and I know people in my local area who over several years have gone from diagnosis to amputation as they weren't able to fully manage diabetes entirely on their own, and I would much prefer to keep my toes, feet, legs, limbs, fingers, heart, as healthy and functioning as possible, so time is of the essence and my liver and pancreas injuries caused by my self take priority above everything else...

Again, please don't be put off seeking help from the NHS as there's clearly postcode lottery in place and maybe your region prioritises health screening and fast-tracks newly diagnosed diabetes patients for full physical health checks and diet and exercise social prescribing, and I am motivating my self with fitness gurus like Richard Simmons who promoted body positivity before it was concept and I am loving the vintage 1970's energy of New York Brooklyn Disco featuring all kinds of body types and the irrepressible enthusiasm of "Disco Sweat", I'll see you on the dancefloor at the roller disco feeling the burn and looking fabulous, Darling! 😎

@maryjaneholland I had an elevated glucose level flagged up in a test done 10 years before diagnosis, but was never told - their 'treatment' was to push the starchy options even harder, and not repeat the test.
I checked a few times after I got a diagnosis and could see quite clearly that carbs pushed my blood glucose into the high teens, but I went low carb from the moment I was told - even then, that was 10 days after the GP called me for a follow up appointment, and that was over a week after the blood test sample was taken.....
I an by no means in perfect condition - but I have had Covid - I suspect five times, and a really drastic reaction to the AZ jab, which I think came closer to finishing me off than any of the illnesses. Luckily I had some old fashioned healthcare workers in my ancestry, nurses midwives and herbalists, and they were well known for their ability to keep people alive and intact - crush injuries were very common in the South Yorkshire coal pits, and cuts, burns and scalding in the other workplaces, and they knew very well that keeping the blood flowing was half the battle won.

@Drummer sorry to hear about poor treatment and misinformation from your GP, I have recently setup the GP Surgery Online Services to fully automate my prescriptions for home delivery with online pharmacies and was surprised there's no info available to me from my NHS medical records except most recent appointment dates, it's lot of effort for minimal returns, but the NHS will have to change with the times as it's all publicly funded and in my region, the NHS admin staff claim they are overwhelmed with complaints about NHS primary care services.

I have considered making DIY versions of home gym equipment and easiest "exercise kit" to replicate has to be "Reebok Step" and "Step Aerobics" so literally any steps with space around them, or wooden pallets wrapped in carpet pieces or rugs, adjusting the height with yet another wooden pallet, freely available from the back entrance and skip area of many reputable high street stores, ahem, then headphones, or earbuds, MP3 player, or mobile phone, for motivation and Step Class can happen anytime anywhere! You've got this, feel the burn, dress up like 90's Cher or your favourite pop star and have fun exercising, lip-syncing, singing and dancing! 🙂

You're correct in that diabetes care is often a postcode lottery but I don't believe it is a North/South divide. I'm in South Yorkshire and my GP surgery is very enlightened and I have received excellent support and care.

I was diagnosed Type 2 in January 2023 and have received all my appointments face to face, was given a BG monitor and testing strips (the strips are still on repeat prescription), was offered the soup and shake programme (which I declined), was offered the X-PERT course (which I accepted). Testing has now reduced to 6 monthly intervals as I have significantly reduced my HbA1c but I have been advised I can still book an appointment with my diabetes nurse if I feel like I'm having a 'wobble'.

Life isn't all bad up North 😉

My GP wrote to me this week to confirm I qualified for inclusion on this programme and asking if I would be interested in being considered (I'm in the South West where, I'm informed, this is a relatively new development).
I've said I would, and am awaiting further details. *
* Which will, hopefully, not materialise until after Christmas...

My GP wrote to me this week to confirm I qualified for inclusion on this programme and asking if I would be interested in being considered (I'm in the South West where, I'm informed, this is a relatively new development).
I've said I would, and am awaiting further details. *
* Which will, hopefully, not materialise until after Christmas...
Great news! Hope you get on well with it 🙂

@Deb_l really glad you have supportive GP in South Yorkshire, I have lived in Sheffield in the past and I was very impressed by all the public services (pre-tree removals another decade!), and I guess it was just light-hearted banter about the general North/South divisions, where the government doesn't seem to have much to offer anyone living North of Birmingham and for balance, I am really stoked for the new HS2 London Euston-Birmingham high speed rail opening in 20-whatever!

Yes my hometown Manchester has just been hailed the "fashion capital of the North" by Chanel, with darling matte black greenhouse to protect the hoi-palloi models and fashionistas and paparazzi from the horizontal rain which drizzles down for days and weeks during December - the Northern Quarter will never be the same again after it's haut-couture Chanel makeover ha!

And I blame @ColinUK for dressing-up gags ha joking! And love your profile @Brave Sir Robin as huge Monty Python fan ("Camelot is very silly place! Run away! Run away!"), yes similarly I looked up all the info after being informed there's fast-track of two weeks from GP referral to the start of the "new regime" and luckily my GP who diagnosed me with diabetes is away until mid-December, so considering all public holidays and snail mail in December/January, my start date will be roughly first week of January 2024... I can't imagine visiting friends and family during Christmas holidays and starting low calorie low sugar low carb diet during the "midwinter festival of feasting and bingeing" with sad tote bag of carrots and celery and water bottle, especially having been ostracised for being Vegetarian in the past such as "um, you can have some veg, it's really awkward situation with you here, are you sure you don't eat meat or fish? Maybe that would help your diabetes, here's some turkey anyway, you need some protein"... 🙄

I'm both terrified and excited about the remission programme, and I have to make big lifestyle changes happen and this approach means I am supported and can ask questions in the process and have scheduled appointment times to go over everything, and it's clear many months on from getting wonky blood glucose results to formal diagnosis that nobody at my GP Surgery can offer any of the healthcare/treatment/support/advice which this fully funded remission programme can!

And here's yet another aspirational exercise workout routine with ABBA-sampled disco music, pink leotards and Queen Madonna showing us mere mortals how it's done again... I wanted to post drag queen fitness video, but worried posting it here will actually harm the performance artistes as YouTube continues to demonetize and remove LGBTQIA+ Community content flagged by straight cisgendered audiences as quote "offensive" but yeah free speech whoop! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back