Newly diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee132

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi, my repeat Alc1 blood test has come back as 51mmol, the previous one 2 weeks ago was 52mmol, the GP surgery has just phoned me confirming I have diabetes, I have to make an appointment and just wondering what to expect when I go .

Hi and Welcome.
Your result is not too high so they may give you the choice of trying "lifestyle changes" before offering you meds - usually Metformin - but you do not have to take meds if you feel you are able to adjust your diet and add some exercise. The diet is basically reducing your carbs (sugars and hidden sugars) though you need to do that slowly - one meal at a time. You could start with you evening meals, then lunches etc, whatever feels best for you.
You should also be referred to hospital for your diabetic eye screening (different to opticians as it is mainly camera work) and they will also want to check your feet too, at some point. I started out at 57 and have just dropped to pre-diabetes using diet and exercise, losing close to 2 stone as a bonus 🙂
Lower your carb intake, don't fret about calories, but increase your good fats and get adequate protein - matchbox size cheese and eggs are good at 0 carbs and are good protein.
Things to avoid/reduce: veggies that grow under the ground, bread, pastry, rice, pasta, potatoes, processed foods, wheat, most fruit except berries - you will learn more as you go on - I don't want to overload you, but just trying to give you a little idea.
You might want to google low carb or keto recipes to see what there is - you may be pleasantly surprised 🙂
Most of us T2s self fund a BG (Blood Glucose) meters and the test strips and lancets, as it is rare to get them prescribed - and they will probably tell you you don't need one - but it can be your best friend, as you can see which meals spike your BG - and then you know what to try reducing or finding an alternative. It puts you in control. Cheapest to run is the GlucoNavii. Use an online food diary to log everything you eat and drink, lots of free ones around, and you will be set to go.
Never be afraid to ask a question, no such thing as a daft one! We all walk our own path, but together - you are never alone here.
Hope this helps a little.

Hi Welcome to the forum.
There are a number of things you should be offered, check of your feet and they should also arrange for an eye retinal scan but it is probably an opportunity for you to discuss with them the route you want to take to get your blood glucose down. Diagnosis level is 48mmol/mol so you are just over the threshold so hopefully they will give you the opportunity to make some lifestyle changes, diet and exercise before offering medication.
Many people find a low carbohydrate approach is successful but it is just one way and people do follow others, low calorie or the short term Shakes or 800 calorie per day.
Bearing in mind that it is ALL carbohydrates which convert to glucose the low carb route works for many.
Making a food diary of everything you eat and drink and estimating the carbs will give you an idea of your starting point for making some reduction. Low carb is less than 130g per day as a good starting point.
This link might give you some ideas of the foods and meals you can have for managing blood glucose. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Have a look at the Learning Zone (orange tab at the top) for lots more info and some other links.
Please come back ith any questions you have.

Welcome to the forum @Lee132

Hope you find your appointment helpful and supportive. There can be a lot to take in, and it can help to take a notepad with you to jot down some notes. You might like to also note down any questions or worries you have before you go, as it can be all too easy to forget all the things that you had intended to ask about once the conversation gets going!

Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a kind of a catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years, but never quite managed.

Often you don’t realise how weary, worn down and lethargic you have been feeling. Erratic and elevated blood glucose levels can be exhausting and are linked with low mood, but this may have come on quite gradually. Making a few positive changes can give you more energy, a clearer mind, and a brighter outlook. Plus the regular checks you get after a diagnosis with diabetes mean that any potential problems may be spotted earlier, and can be sorted out sooner.

For a bit more background information, the ‘useful links’ thread is a mine of helpful information - useful-links-for-people-new-to-diabetes

You might also like to register for the Learning Zone, which has heaps of handy bite-sized modules to work through. Look for the orange tab in the main menu above 🙂

Hi, my repeat Alc1 blood test has come back as 51mmol, the previous one 2 weeks ago was 52mmol, the GP surgery has just phoned me confirming I have diabetes, I have to make an appointment and just wondering what to expect when I go .
You are definitely diabetic, but it's not outrageously bad. I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago, and was shocked when on my first visit to the Podiatrist [yesterday] was told that my first HbA1c was 104. This was a couple of months after I had stopped taking sugar in my coffee!

There are minimum standards of care. These are national standards:
which have been agreed across the UK to make sure the level of care that you receive is of the highest quality and standard no matter where you live.

However, providing they meet these standards, local health boards have a fair amount of discretion on how and where to allocate resources. From what I have read on these boards, (and talking with the Podiatrist yesterday,) there can be a bit of a post-code lottery on what to expect. Up here in Edinburgh, despite attending a practice for the local indigents and junkies, I have absolutely no complaints. For the first month I was at the Docs a couple of times a week getting my medications sorted out, and even receiving several mid-evening phone calls from the head honcho to check I was okay.

According to my Podiatrist, in terms of quality of care, Edinburgh compares very favourably with the rest of the country, This is particularly true [she said] when it is compared with London and the South East. Being based in Edinburgh, she may be biased in this regard, but what she told me seems to agree with what I have been reading on these boards.

Another advantage of being up North is that we not only get free prescriptions, but our pharmacists can prescribe [for free] lots of little extras: special soaps, moisturisers, anti-fungals.... along with many other little goodies which, while not essential, can make a real difference to ones quality of treatment.

Anyway, you should make sure you know what the minimum standards are, and, as a ready reference with regard to treatment recommendations, you might also want to explore the NICE website.

Note: when searching for a specific topic, I find it easier to use google to search the NICE website like so:
  • <topic> site:nice.org.uk

For example:
  • diabetes care site:nice.org.uk
Would return Type 2 diabetes in adults: management | Guidance - NICE as one of the top results.

In conclusion: If you do feel you are being short-changed, the original link I gave has a section on how to complain

Best of luck and welcome to the forums
Irvine

PS
For those in Scotland the appropriate site for a google search would be:
  • <topic> site:sign.ac.uk

Hi thanks for all your replies, I don't know if they will put me on medication or not, the last 3 or 4years when I've been called in for routine blood tests my first Al1c has been just over the threshold but then the repeat 2 weeks later has come back below the 48mmol. This time my repeat is still over.I also have sleep apnea and I also take atorvastatin.

Hi thanks for all your replies, I don't know if they will put me on medication or not, the last 3 or 4years when I've been called in for routine blood tests my first Al1c has been just over the threshold but then the repeat 2 weeks later has come back below the 48mmol. This time my repeat is still over.I also have sleep apnea and I also take atorvastatin.
At just over the threshold then I hope you will be given opportunity to make some dietary changes which you would have to do anyway before being prescribed any medication and given three months to make some positive progress.
If you have weight to lose then a low carb approach should help with that and should also help with the sleep apnoea.

It it normal to not have the thirst and the frequent trips for a wee as I don't have these.

I believe those symptoms are reserved for people with very high BG levels, I could be wrong about that though. I know it was the extreme thirst and extreme urination, among others, which fianlly prompted me seek treatment, but my BG was 104!

Ok thanks, see I don't drink a lot so hence why I don't wee a lot,see I thought it was a given that these went hand in hand with type 2

Yes it is usual not to have any symptoms - glucose doesn't even start spilling over into urine until your blood glucose is well over twice what it ought to be. It ought to be around 5mmol/L and it does not commence 'spilling' until that is 13+.

The body does this because your body recognises 13+ needs attention so produces more urine to transport the sugary substance to the bladder. Hence your bladder needs to empty more cos it's fuller. Your blood glucose could be 11 or 12 and you'd still not always get those symptoms - but clearly, you do have a problem in your body metabolising carbohydrates hence the treatment is the same as if you had full blown Type 2 diabetes - help yourself and cut down on the carbohydrate in your diet !

Oh and PS - every adult whoever they are really ought to be drinking approx 3 litres of liquid a day - much less and you run the risk of kidney damage. My son on law wouldn't drink then one day he was in such violent pain at work, he collapsed in the toilet - his own bro went in to check if he was OK, when someone else commented he's been a long time - took one look at his face and dialled 999 there and then. Carted off to hospital in ambulance, scanned and was found to have kidney stones. Despite learning his lesson there and deliberately drinking a lot more regularly since, he has Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, in both kidneys. And he isn't 50 yet, used to play amateur rugby and cricket regularly, not overweight, stopped smoking a few years ago, has also coached the youth teams for both sports at his club. Which is in Rugby as it happens!

Oh and PS - every adult whoever they are really ought to be drinking approx 3 litres of liquid a day - much less and you run the risk of kidney damage.
Probably 3 litres is about right (and for older people especially, such guidance is useful) but the idea that everyone ought to be worrying about how much water they drink is a myth (though as far as I can tell a pretty harmless one): https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190403-how-much-water-should-you-drink-a-day

I really need some help on such things as best bread, best butter and something that will tell me how much carbs are in fruit , cereals as such, do I need to check the saturates as well

I really need some help on such things as best bread, best butter and something that will tell me how much carbs are in fruit , cereals as such, do I need to check the saturates as well
I think you are muddling carbs and fats.
For a diabetic, proteins and fats are the things to eat along with what low carb veges and fruits you can cope with and still keep normal numbers.
As you are prediabetic, previously heading for type 2 then eating less of the high carb foods, cereal bread potatoes and other starchy vegs, and avoiding most fruit other than berries should resolve the problem.

There are some low carb breads on sale in the supermarkets, Burgen Soy and Linseed, Livlife or Nimble I think are a few, the slices may be a bit smaller but you can check on shop websites for the carbs in the nutritional information and look for TOTAL carbs per 100g or per slice.
The book or app Carbs and Cals has carb values for a whole range of foods with pictures of various portion sizes.
Getting used to looking at packet for the TOTAL carbs or Google food X total carbs and this is usually per 100g so you will need a bit of arithmetic to work out for the portion you are going to have. A pair of digital scales is a good investment so you can weigh your portion rather than just eyeballing as some things are deceiving.
Berries are the lowest carb fruits and most cereals are rather too high in carbs, some low sugar ones may be Ok for you but probably not the recommended portion.
Fats do not convert to glucose so whatever butter you like and generally full fat dairy is lower carb than low fat.

Ok thanks ,I see the diabetic nurse for the first time next week since they rang a few weeks ago to say I was type 2, will she give me some information on what I should and shouldn't eat

Ok thanks ,I see the diabetic nurse for the first time next week since they rang a few weeks ago to say I was type 2, will she give me some information on what I should and shouldn't eat
There are some good do's and dont's in this link and some meal ideas which may help you sort out what sort of things you can and can't eat. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
The standard NHS advice you may get from your nurse may well be too high carb to have much impact on reducing blood glucose levels. The suggested carb intake for a low carb approach is less than 130g total carbs per day.
It is worthwhile making a food diary of what carbs you are currently having so you can see how far you are from that and start to cut down gradually as that will be gentler on your eyes and nerves.
As you are on the cusp some modest changes may be sufficient so cutting out some of the big hitters and reducing portions of others.

So I can eat any butter?, Also and full fat dairy
Butter is a fat - so not going to become glucose in your blood - ideal for making scrambled eggs. You can use it for gently cooking a delicate stir fry of mushrooms, sweet peppers, bean sprouts etc.
I buy the full fat Greek yoghurt from Lidl and double cream to put in my coffee, and full fat mozzarella cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back