Newcastle Diet -

Tuesday Week 9 Results

This week has been without any meal replacement shakes. Today I go to get my HBa1c test and will post the results (assuming they aren't lost again) as soon as I get them.

The big issue is the return of my rival and Nemesis, Beer :eek:

1627374346780.png

I need to get tough with myself on this. Beer nights results in some head scratching weight gains, 2.4Kg being the highest. I'm with @Drummer on the reality of high fluctuations. Of course after 8 pints the fridge raid is inevitable, so it's not just the beer
1627374525980.png
This started with a "8 weeks done 15Kg achieved lets celebrate", followed by a 'got the job I applied for' celebrate then a 'this job isn't what I expected, I quit' sorrow drown. The usual addict's justification nonsense. Once I had the data that demonstrated my weight yo-yo'd and I could lose the beer weight gains, the demon was out of the bottle. 'This is the new normal' argued the beer demon.
Well. How about NO! beer demon. I will fight. I am stronger than you.

DIET
In terms of diet, I am not eating bread, potatoes or rice etc. Plenty of veg and salad with chicken etc.
One staple I like is a 'quesadilla' fry up of onion, garlic, chilli, black beans, (frozen: spinach, peppers, sweet corn)
I make a batch to keep in the fridge and used to add this to tortilla wrap cooked on a griddle pan with chicken and cheese.
Unfortunately the tortilla wraps are 270 calories (!) So they went in the bin.

I've been frying the mix in flour as patties, and they make a great replacement for hash browns. Very flavoursome breakfast with ham and eggs.

The other welcome addition is the hot air popcorn maker. 1oz / 30g of air popped kernels is about 100 calories and a large bowl full. It's a whole grain, has some nutrients and plenty of fibre, and is handy substitute for worse TV snacks.

I also pulverise a pear, carrots, a spoon of seed mix, ginger and berries (next door has supplied a kilo of garden blackcurrants) with some water in a blender - which makes a fibrous pint between meals

BOWEL
Movements are starting to return to normal (I should hope so given the above!), but it's a slow process. I've concluded that meal replacement shakes are 'industrial' and have a detrimental effect on gut health, even with a couple of plates of salad and veg everyday

Graph Time
1627376437250.png
Weekly number are a bit weird due beer night fluctuations between weeks

1627376499327.png
Blood pressure trending up (normal food and beer nights)

1627376550125.png

Fasting Blood Sugars are less volatile (5 point something) now I wash my hands :) Thanks @travellor
Interestingly the levels are not effected by beer night, but I won't be collecting more data on this phenomenon !!

Some things to look out for if your progress slows - your 30 gm of popcorn will be 18 gm of carbs.
I avoid sweetcorn as it is a grain, likewise covering anything in flour doesn't happen for me - I found that beans seem to have about 70 percent more carbs than listed, judging by my reaction to them.
Tortilla wraps - I don't know what that is, but it might be high carb, and I expect a hash brown would be too (I've never eaten one) so finding lower carb options is be a good idea - I find it isn't the calories which count.
A pear, plus a carrot and berries might be rather high carb, and particularly after blending, as that releases all the cell contents for easy digestion.
I realise that my approach to lowering blood glucose is different from yours, but I find that targeting carbs is very effective for me and it might be useful to you in future.

Some things to look out for if your progress slows - your 30 gm of popcorn will be 18 gm of carbs.
I avoid sweetcorn as it is a grain, likewise covering anything in flour doesn't happen for me - I found that beans seem to have about 70 percent more carbs than listed, judging by my reaction to them.
Tortilla wraps - I don't know what that is, but it might be high carb, and I expect a hash brown would be too (I've never eaten one) so finding lower carb options is be a good idea - I find it isn't the calories which count.
A pear, plus a carrot and berries might be rather high carb, and particularly after blending, as that releases all the cell contents for easy digestion.
I realise that my approach to lowering blood glucose is different from yours, but I find that targeting carbs is very effective for me and it might be useful to you in future.
Well, hopefully, if like me, the Newcastle diet has reversed the diabetes, it won't be any issue at all.

Well, hopefully, if like me, the Newcastle diet has reversed the diabetes, it won't be any issue at all.
My carb counting has also resulted in remission.

Technically you are diet controlled, or have you done a glucose tolerance test to confirm you can now process carbs in the same way as a none diabetic?

Well I'm hoping the 15% weight loss has fixed my glucose tolerance, so that I can just 'eat less' and be non-diabetic. The 'low carb' lifestyle isn't something I'm familiar with. I'm going to watch this :Dr David Unwin: Low carb is not just about diabetes and see what I learn. " liver function, measured via a liver damage marker called GGT, improved rapidly and remarkably in his patients that saw success with the low carb lifestyle" so there maybe a carb chicken before the fatty liver egg . . .

Well I'm hoping the 15% weight loss has fixed my glucose tolerance, so that I can just 'eat less' and be non-diabetic. The 'low carb' lifestyle isn't something I'm familiar with. I'm going to watch this :Dr David Unwin: Low carb is not just about diabetes and see what I learn. " liver function, measured via a liver damage marker called GGT, improved rapidly and remarkably in his patients that saw success with the low carb lifestyle" so there maybe a carb chicken before the fatty liver egg . . .
Do you have liver enzymes as part of your blood tests?

No, @Drummer the tests didn't include liver function etc - now I wish it did and hope to take my GP on this journey.

So, a lot of new information. Eliminate starchy carbs / excess glucose, reduce insulin forcing triglycerides into the liver (and pancreas).
Low carb diet improved Gamma GT levels (GGT or Gamma-Glutamyl Transpeptidase) - a good biomarker for detecting liver disease such as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
The decrease in GGT actually preceded things like weight loss and HbA1c reduction.
So low carb is generally a good thing - improvements in HbA1c, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, cholesterol ratio, triglycerides, weight, blood pressure and GGT

I'm sold on the need to understand carbs and avoid high glycaemic index (GI) foods.

I am holding out for the possibility that following stripping ectopic fat from the pancreas and liver ones insulin sensitivity is reset and one can eat a sensible diet and maintain homeostasis.

I'm reminded that humans have evolved to produce, for example, salivary amylase, a glucose-polymer cleavage enzyme that is produced by the salivary glands that digests starch into smaller molecules, ultimately yielding maltose, which in turn is cleaved into two glucose molecules by maltase

So I'm currently agnostic about 'avoid all carbs' - maybe, if I had more confidence in my blood glucose monitor and some liver (GGT) statistics I might be converted.

Interesting comparison between sweet acorn and pop corn on the this link:

Week 10 results

The scores on the doors, HbA1c results from last Tuesday were 30
1628020990261.png

So that's the great news, the diet worked.
Fasting Blood sugars are pretty good to

1628021052121.png

However, I am pigging out on snacks late evening, and have had a few sessions on the beer

1628021170336.png

I had got down to 82.2 Kg on route to my target 79, but am now 84.2 Kg
My body fat% 19.6, and my app states normal is 17, I calculate I should achieve this at about 79Kg

1628021316225.png

I was losing the weight gains pretty quickly, but this 'recovery' seems to have stopped.
Things are a very stressful at home, I'm applying for jobs and Lynne (Mrs Weekender) has sciatica and is in screaming pain. Last night was a 'sod this I'm getting drunk'
More excuses.

I hope I have a more positive week to report on next Tuesday

Lesson 1 - avoid snacks
Right, so some good news. Last night I resisted the late night snack, had a pint of water and went to bed earlier (I lost a 1.05 Kg)
It's worth noting that after 10 weeks on the low calorie diet, I don't feel hungry or get the food cravings I used to have when I was overweight
@Haggied
This is worth bearing in mind for people embarking on the journey, here's a link to a study:
Link: We have observed a significantly different postprandial leptin/ghrelin ratio in normal body weight and overweight/obese men

Lesson 2 - exercise will not help you lose weight.

Most people I talk to about this, really won't accept that if you are more active you don't burn more calories - so here are some links:

Exercise Myths
Herman Pontzer Video

The 'activity' portion of calories per day is less that half of the calories we metabolise, and the body maintains homeostasis at around 3000 calories a day

I have a graph of my Fitbit data. You'll see that my active minutes vary week by week (the lines on the right hand scale) but the average calories per day (total energy expenditure) are pretty constant (around 3000 a day - the grey columns)

So forget the idea that you can 'earn' credits and eat more if you exercise.

1628064010877.png

HbA1c at 30, that's an amazing result! - you should be proud!

I'd concur @Weekender that excercise whilst on the diet doesn't help you lose more...Prof Roy Taylor said in his book not to try to more excercise as you'll (whether you want to or not) reward yourself with a treat because you think you've done so well - I've upped my step count this last week or so, and it's made 0 difference for me so far...

Once the diet is finished though, excercise should help to to keep toned and keep you fitter all round...

Good job @Weekender, If my HbA1c was 30, I'd be blown away!

Cheers @Kreator . I am pleased, but to be honest it was such a quick turn around (9 weeks) from diagnosis (49) to 30 I haven't really had time to process it all. I'm concerned in case the changes I made unravel and I end up back where I was.
I'm thinking about a new target of going from 82.5Kg to 78Kg over 10 weeks. This might help me anchor the new behaviours.

Cheers @Kreator . I am pleased, but to be honest it was such a quick turn around (9 weeks) from diagnosis (49) to 30 I haven't really had time to process it all. I'm concerned in case the changes I made unravel and I end up back where I was.
I'm thinking about a new target of going from 82.5Kg to 78Kg over 10 weeks. This might help me anchor the new behaviours.
Yep, I hear you...I must admit, I realise myself this week that my eating habits must change for good - it's not just 12 weeks, it's the rest of our lives...it can be hard at times, and this week I'm also finding it tough - what to eat, what not to eat etc...keep in there!

I found the benefit of doing this particular diet avoiding food, is that it does reset your body, and rest you mentally.
When I looked initially, I couldn't believe how many people claimed they would yoyo, how they cant stand being hungry, how they diet lets you carry on eating as much as you want to, and how you can just continually eat and snack when you do believe you are hungry.
I am under no impression that I didn't get fat by anything else then pushing food into my face.
That was the attitude I wanted to change.
It did work.
I lost my (very) sweet tooth.
I realised a lot of my eating was at the wrong time, out of comfort, out of boredom, and obviously that had all stopped anyway.
So, when you get a blank canvas, you can rewrite it how you want to, not just tweak previous habits and hope it lasts.

@travellor, indeed, this week for me is that blank canvas, and I've been wondering what to do with it! - I must say, I'm not hungry either! - I feel so full after eating a 400 Calorie meal now, I don't want anything else after it...

I guess what to do with it is just that - don't eat too much and enjoy what you do eat!

@Weekender, I'll read the ghrelin : leptin ratio article shortly... ;)

There's so many valid points to be taken from this forum!

Lesson 2 - exercise will not help you lose weight.
Ok, so - yep this I still stand by, however...what I found this week is that if I do maybe 30 minutes of fairly rapid walking (not out of breath but heavier breathing) my Blood Sugar levels dropped...stands to reason really, as that's what you burn when doing exercise...Glucose! - seems silly how I didn't realise this before, but after my meal on Saturday that's exactly what happenned - 5.8 - 2 hours after dinner and 4.1 after walking my butt off for 30 mins...

So while exercise may not be for losing weight it certainly seems to have other benefits....if nothing else, it made me feel better... ;)

Ok, so - yep this I still stand by, however...what I found this week is that if I do maybe 30 minutes of fairly rapid walking (not out of breath but heavier breathing) my Blood Sugar levels dropped...stands to reason really, as that's what you burn when doing exercise...Glucose! - seems silly how I didn't realise this before, but after my meal on Saturday that's exactly what happenned - 5.8 - 2 hours after dinner and 4.1 after walking my butt off for 30 mins...

So while exercise may not be for losing weight it certainly seems to have other benefits....if nothing else, it made me feel better... ;)
Hi @Kreator
I'm exercising like a fool. The benefits are huge. I'm sure you're right about blood sugars, footballers etc always pack in the carbs (pasta etc) before a match, and I think refuel afterwards.
But the number of exceptionally overweight blokes I see cycling about in Day-Glo lycra and matching booties is increasing all the time. My next door neighbour is one. Just bought a road bike and an orange lycra costume.
I noticed he was noshing a packet of cocolate HobNob biscuits in his car. 94 Kcal per biscuit . 1302 Kcal in a packet.
Cycling at a moderate speed of 12 to 13.9 miles per hour will cause a 155-pound person to burn 298 calories in 30 minutes.
I'm down on these types as they come whizzing down the coastal path when I'm walking the dog. 18 stone at 10 mph is a lot of inertia.
Blob Knobs.
Rant over :)
But yes exercise is great, I'm finding my knees are much happier when I jog now I'm 18kg lighter.
I like to lift a large bucket of water and say to myself I was carrying that much around.
Plus, I think if you exercise whilst on the VLCD you are more likely to burn fat than lose lean body mass. I will look out the link tomorrow.

Ha ha! - yep, lol you wouldn't catch me in any sort of Lycra lol - orange or otherwise!

Yep was going to say VLCD is not for exercising - it's too exhausting and has little benefit... - But once you've completed the VLCD, for me at least, feels good to move about a bit...not while eating a HobNob biscuit either!

Ha ha! - yep, lol you wouldn't catch me in any sort of Lycra lol - orange or otherwise!

Yep was going to say VLCD is not for exercising - it's too exhausting and has little benefit... - But once you've completed the VLCD, for me at least, feels good to move about a bit...not while eating a HobNob biscuit either!
I go both high impact and low impact.
I aim to triple my resting heartbeat,then try to keep between the norm of 60 and double.
I did exercise on the Newcastle diet, to try to lose fat rather than muscle.
But the lockdown did knock me back, I need to build muscle again now.

Back