Newbies’ first big carb meal

Matt J

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Matt,

That's why I wouldn't encourage or advise anybody (nor should we) to try a particular strategy or dose. I prefer to present various options and ways diabetics generally manage their diabetes. It's up to the individual and their Doctor or DSN to come to a more personal solution.

What seems like a high dose of insulin to one person, would seem minuscule to another because "you need what you need".
Precisely!

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I set alarms every couple of hours to make sure everything was okay and that worked well. I checked at 12 (3.5 hours after I ate) and my sugars had started to rise again so I had 2 units (expecting to need another 2 in the night) as the levels were definitely going up but not at a rate I was scared of. So I took the units, went back to sleep, then everything was good! Didn’t need any more after that point and stayed at around 5mmol all night. A success story if ever there was one! 84 carbs for a lovely 6 units! (Probably just a one off but I’m still very happy!)
Hi Beth,

That's a great result! That's one less experiment to do....It's very satisfying when you get a good result when trying something new. It's amazing how long it can be between doses when splitting. I take it you are using the Libre?

About 2 weeks ago I went for a (rare occasion) fish and chips from a chip shop, I used the libre to guide my bolusing. I knew it was going to be a long one, I had to wait 3 hours before there was any upwards movement on the graph, then i had to split it 3 times.

betheaton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Beth,

That's a great result! That's one less experiment to do....It's very satisfying when you get a good result when trying something new. It's amazing how long it can be between doses when splitting. I take it you are using the Libre?

About 2 weeks ago I went for a (rare occasion) fish and chips from a chip shop, I used the libre to guide my bolusing. I knew it was going to be a long one, I had to wait 3 hours before there was any upwards movement on the graph, then i had to split it 3 times.
I have the libre yeah! An absolute god send! I’m yet to try fish and chips or any other really carby food, but the success of last night’s attempt has only made me more confident that I know how to handle my own body!

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have the libre yeah! An absolute god send! I’m yet to try fish and chips or any other really carby food, but the success of last night’s attempt has only made me more confident that I know how to handle my own body!
Beth,
Just out of interest. Do you keeping a written record of your experiments or do you just remember everything?

betheaton

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Beth,
Just out of interest. Do you keeping a written record of your experiments or do you just remember everything?
I keep a food log on my carbs and cals app and then put in all of my injections onto my libre app. Bigger experiments (like this one) I keep a written note of so I know how to go if I try it again!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On the drinks front - just wondered if any alcohol was helping your BG down is all - but it wasn't, so it was all just you!

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On the drinks front - just wondered if any alcohol was helping your BG down is all - but it wasn't, so it was all just you!
Whatwhatwhat? Alcohol brings it down? How does that work, and excuse me whilst I rummage in the cupboard for that old bottle of Baileys.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You have to drink Bailey's within a few months (5 rings a bell) of first opening Madeline - the cream goes off.

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You have to drink Bailey's within a few months (5 rings a bell) of first opening Madeline - the cream goes off.
Oh, it’s definitely past it’s best then, it’s a good 2 Christmases old.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A success story if ever there was one! 84 carbs for a lovely 6 units! (Probably just a one off but I’m still very happy!)
That’s a cracking result Beth! Really well done. Hope it goves you confidence the next time you have a celebration or special meal out. It won’t always play so nicely, but you’ve earned your ‘Diabetes Genius’ badge for the month... wear it with pride! :D