Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diabetes is dietary condition, Marko, and from that point of view ingesting medication that doubles your blood glucose is not good. Time for a drugs review with your GP and consultants?
Sometimes one has to accept that diabetes is not the number one priority, and taking drugs for another condition that will elevate BGs may have to take priority.

Diabetes is dietary condition,

I think we must be a bit careful with statements like this. Diabetes is far more complicated than this sort of simple description implies. Yes, diet can influence how blood glucose levels can react to food and foodstuffs but quite how any given individual is affected is dependent on lots of other stuff.

Sometimes one has to accept that diabetes is not the number one priority, and taking drugs for another condition that will elevate BGs may have to take priority.
Yes, but Marko has raised the issue and it's a fair question.

I think we must be a bit careful with statements like this. Diabetes is far more complicated than this sort of simple description implies. Yes, diet can influence how blood glucose levels can react to food and foodstuffs but quite how any given individual is affected is dependent on lots of other stuff.
I was quoting Jason Fung. The rest of what he said was 'and it has a dietary solution'. This relates to the onset of T2D which is (almost?) always due to accumulation of excess fat in the liver and pancreas (a.k.a. Fatty Liver) as demonstrated by Professor Roy Taylor. In this vid he distinguishes between the homogeneity of the onset and the heterogeneity of people's response to it. Information for Doctors:

And not all type 2 is caused by diet either, type 2 is caused by a much more complicated mix of factors than simply diet. Then type 3 and MODY not caused by diet also

Yep, which was why I wrote “for example” as Type 1 is just one of the types of diabetes not caused by diet 🙂

I was quoting Jason Fung. The rest of what he said was 'and it has a dietary solution'. This relates to the onset of T2D which is (almost?) always due to accumulation of excess fat in the liver and pancreas (a.k.a. Fatty Liver) as demonstrated by Professor Roy Taylor. In this vid he distinguishes between the homogeneity of the onset and the heterogeneity of people's response to it. Information for Doctors:
Which is why I tend to bypass internet gurus on any subject let alone diabetes. If you want to earn from clicks or sell your book then it is a good idea to behave like a journalist ..... first simplify and then exaggerate. Present a general point which reflects part of a story as if it were some sort of universal truth.

The idea that "the onset of T2D is (almost?) always due to accumulation of excess fat", etc, seems to me to be a gross over simplification. It is likely the case for many who exhibit T2, but not everybody, and it is wise to assume that there are a lot of people with such excess fat that do not exhibit T2.

I work on the basis that there are no magic bullets, no matter how slick the youtube video.

I am your actual grade A enthusiast about eating a low carb diet - I always have to remember to ad in 'for a plain ordinary type 2' because there are different types.
For me it is bloody brilliant - the effects of around 45 years of being encouraged to eat a healthy diet wiped out in 6 months because it was always wrong for me.
If low carb doesn't work then that is pretty much an indication that there is something more going on.
Even as a very ordinary type 2, I was prescribed tablets which almost killed me, or rather put me in a situation where I was thinking of killing myself.
Everyone needs to be considered as an individual with a set of needs and requirements. I sometimes feel really discouraged by reports of lack of care and attention, or even worse, really bad advice being given by those who are entrusted with the care of the newly diagnosed.

Actually my family all has type 1 and I got diabetes type 2 very early in life at 28. The pills I'm on for my mental health don't work that's why I want off them as they put on weight and are very bad for diabetics, in fact it says do not give to someone on diabetes but they did any way.

I got my pills today so will be starting them tomorrow, I just pray I don't get any side effects as they are very nasty and there is a warning on the box that there is a high chance of getting thyroid cancer. These pills are relatively new and only way I'm scared is because the diabetic nurse gave me pills before that put me in hospital with ketones. It dropped my blood sugars but ketones was extremely high.

Diabetes is dietary condition, Marko, and from that point of view ingesting medication that doubles your blood glucose is not good. Time for a drugs review with your GP and consultants?
Tried this 12 times already and one blames the other saying they can't change anything as I'm in the care of Cornhill, while Cornhill says I'm discharged and the Dr is in charge. I've even put 2 complaints in to get this sorted and no one seems to bother.

I've just got a walking stick but need to strengthen my legs more the physio said. I was not like this 2 years ago, I use to go for 4 walks a day and long ones, I miss that and do you know how hard it is having ocd and getting told you're a waste of space, no one likes you and many other thoughts due to that illness? No one knows what it's like unless you go through it yourself and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I just wanted advice on them pills as I've had them for 3 weeks and been scared due to the awful side effects it says you can get. I couldn't handle more side effects as I'm on 15 pills a day as it is.
I have had various problems over the last few years with feet and lower legs - I don't think related to diabetes, more the AZ jab for covid, and I have found that Nordic walking poles really helped me keep my balance, gave me the confidence to walk normally and go further than I ever could have leaning on a walker or using walking sticks.
It might seem better to be using just one aid, but the difference to my balance, posture and also how much energy it took to go any distance when I had the two poles was quite an eye opener.

For clarity, are you referring to Roy Taylor or Jason Fung here? Or both?
Probably. I say that because I confess to not have studied their youtube stuff in any depth but I suspect that Taylor's youtube clips only reflect part of the studies he has been involved in and miss all of the nuances considered in the published papers.

Which is why I tend to bypass internet gurus on any subject let alone diabetes. If you want to earn from clicks or sell your book then it is a good idea to behave like a journalist ..... first simplify and then exaggerate. Present a general point which reflects part of a story as if it were some sort of universal truth.
@Docb
Given that the internet guru in question is Professor Roy Taylor it's too bad you have not seen his videos.

Roy Taylor, Achieving T2D remission (May 2023):
One point he made at the outset of this video that all the money earned from 'Life without Diabetes" goes to Diabetes UK. The message he emphasised at the very end was weight loss by any means, not just soups and shakes, is the way to remission.

Roy Taylor, Information for Doctors:
Professor Taylor's Counterpoint study in c.2008 established a causal effect between fatty liver and pancreas and T2D in the overweight and obese. His recent RETUNE study extended this to T2D in those of normal weight. Evidence from the NHS Path to Remission and elsewhere seems to indicate 90% or more of the 150,000 odd T2Ds diagnosed each year have excess visceral fat. Better definition of the other types of T2D affecting the minority 10% would help.

Last edited:
Does he point out that his way forward may only be relevant to part, albeit perhaps a significant part, of the diabetes community?

Does he point out that his way forward may only be relevant to part, albeit perhaps a significant part, of the diabetes community?
Yes he does. He points out that the group of those who did not achieve remission in the DIRECT study had a lower incidence of cardiovascular and other serious conditions such as cancer. Professor Mike Lean has observed that only 40% of people in the UK with fatty liver become T2D, he attributes this to genetic disposition. Those with permanent pancreatic damage could categorised differently from the majority. There is also the possibilty of misdiagnoses, such as large sugar spikes pushing up HbAic into the T2D zone. I am sure the two professors can enumerate the rarer types of T2D affecting the minor part of the community you mention*.

* See Rare forms of diabetes (9 types)

Last edited:
Has anyone else had these pills and can tell me how it was with them. I know everyone acts differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back