Nathan's Retina Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All...

Well today was the day of Nathan's second annual retina screening...
and I must say Nathan was brilliant....as parent's with children/teenagers know things may not always go to plan...and a situation develops......lol:D

This time Nathan took it all in his stride..and the whole appointment was over and done with in about 20mins....Nathan refered to the drops as "Hellish" to the nurse....which made her smile.

The photographs that were taken were of excellent quality, and showed no problems.....🙂

However last night Nathan was adamant that he was'nt going to have it done as there was no need.....and that was that....nor could I force him to have it done, if he didnt want.........mmmmmmmmm......Rather than an argument/battle following on from this disscussion.....Some may view what I said as harsh, but with Nathan pandering to him, will not work....So I said "Fine son, if you dont want it done I cannot make you, the decision is yours but please think on this....if you dont in the next 10-20 years...you may be blind...and that will be your choice".

Heidi
🙂

hey that sounds really good , well done nathan sounds like he took it in his stirde and im pleased they photos showed up clear , I am sure he will nt want it done again but you did the right thing just raise your eyebrows and chew your bottom lip hun LOL x

Good news. Well done Nathan. He's right, the drops are hellish! And I don't envy you getting a young boy to do something he doesn't want to do! But sounds like he took it all in his stride.....well done.

However last night Nathan was adamant that he was'nt going to have it done as there was no need.....and that was that....nor could I force him to have it done, if he didnt want.........mmmmmmmmm......Rather than an argument/battle following on from this disscussion.....Some may view what I said as harsh, but with Nathan pandering to him, will not work....So I said "Fine son, if you dont want it done I cannot make you, the decision is yours but please think on this....if you dont in the next 10-20 years...you may be blind...and that will be your choice".

Heidi
🙂

I had my test recently. I absolutely hated the drops. Dammed evil in my opinion.

You're right Heidi.

The lady who did my test told me she could see any problems well before my vision would deteriorate and the sooner she spots something, the more chance there is of a full recovery.

Have you thought about ignoring the subject completely until next year's appointment when hopefully Nathan will have forgotten about his recent experience?

Hi All...

Thank you so much for the replies.....Nathan was a true Legend...cause no way would I like that to be done...have a thing about eyes...not squeamish in any way over anything else...but eyes...🙂

He said after he had it done that he was pleased and glad he did........result🙂

It will definately not be discussed till next year......sigh of relief

Heidi
🙂

Ooh! Cheers guys, I have mine done in a couple of days and you've all just reminded me about the drops! But if Nathan can get through it, so can I - so thank him from me Heidi, for biting the bullet and gritting his teeth and getting on with it!:D

p.s. if any of you are planning a BBQ this week, make it early on Wednesday morning as it's bound to be the brightest, sunniest day of the year!!!

Well done Heidi, Nathan's a good boy isn't he. I've said that and worse to Jessica and she is only 9. Sometimes you just have to hit home how serious diabetes really is and the consequences of them mucking around.

Last night we had the big 'I don't want swine flu because I'll die'. She had heard it on the radio. I told her that more people die from normal flu which is why we have the flu jab and that we only heard about the people dying from swine flu because it had such a funny name !!!:confused:

I'm surprised that any drops were required to get good sight of a teenager's retinas. I'm in my 40s, and the various people who've looked at my retinas, at opticians and digital photography at hospital, haven't used any for years. If drops aren't necassry, then it's much kinder not to use them.

Ooh! Cheers guys, I have mine done in a couple of days and you've all just reminded me about the drops! But if Nathan can get through it, so can I - so thank him from me Heidi, for biting the bullet and gritting his teeth and getting on with it!:D

p.s. if any of you are planning a BBQ this week, make it early on Wednesday morning as it's bound to be the brightest, sunniest day of the year!!!

Hi Northerner...

Remember to take some sun glasses with you...as the drops enlarge the pupils..making them more sensitive to light...

Heidi
🙂

Well done for saying that Heidi, id needed to be said! :D Glad he got it done, it's for the best.

Mine is tomorrow!!

I'm surprised that any drops were required to get good sight of a teenager's retinas. I'm in my 40s, and the various people who've looked at my retinas, at opticians and digital photography at hospital, haven't used any for years. If drops aren't necassry, then it's much kinder not to use them.

Hi Copepod...

Nathan has'nt the best vision in the world..and has worn glasses since he was 2.
From a parents perspective..I'm gald that the drops are offered and used for Nathan....The reason being is that the drops enlarge the pupil to such a degree..that once the photograph is taken...it shows precisely the minutest change in the blood vessels and the smallest bleed around the retina..This cannot always be achieved if drops are'nt administered, thus then having to have another appointment with drops done then. To me as a parent it also means that Nathan over the years will become accoustomed to the drops..and think no more of it..and as natural to him has doing a finger test or insulin injection.

Heidi
🙂

Hi Northerner...

Remember to take some sun glasses with you...as the drops enlarge the pupils..making them more sensitive to light...

Heidi
🙂

I know, I've got to find them first! I never wear them normally - usually no need! But I remember how difficult it was last year, even with them. Did they try without the drops first? When I went last year he had a look and decided it would be better to use them. I guess it's down to the individual, rather than age.

I know, I've got to find them first! I never wear them normally - usually no need! But I remember how difficult it was last year, even with them. Did they try without the drops first? When I went last year he had a look and decided it would be better to use them. I guess it's down to the individual, rather than age.

Hi Northerner..

Yes the first time Nathan went last year, they did try without drops...but the image/picture was'nt as clear as they had hoped..Luckily they had, had a missed appointment and after a little polava form Nathan..drops were given and the results were perfect...Yes I agree..its down to the individual and age..but on a whole at our hospital they like to do drops.

Heidi
🙂

I used to have the drops when I was really young, so young I can only just remember. Now that I need the diabetic test they give me the drops again, so dont think it has anything to do with age im afraid!

Last edited:
They don't need to generally do drops in anyone under about 15, I guess Nathan is one of the unlucky ones. Jessica has had it done twice and no drops needed.

I actually had it done as well and no drops were needed either and I'm 40:(

They don't need to generally do drops in anyone under about 15, I guess Nathan is one of the unlucky ones. Jessica has had it done twice and no drops needed.

I actually had it done as well and no drops were needed either and I'm 40:(

Hi Adrienne..

Now I never knew that, they dont generally do drops for anyone under 15....Poor Nathan...he must be one of the unlucky ones.....bless...he was 13 when they first did it...I'm glad Jessica has'nt had to have them🙂....hehehehe...I'm only a year behind you in age...the big one next year:(..
How is Jessica today??...

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Adrienne..

Now I never knew that, they dont generally do drops for anyone under 15....Poor Nathan...he must be one of the unlucky ones.....bless...he was 13 when they first did it...I'm glad Jessica has'nt had to have them🙂....hehehehe...I'm only a year behind you in age...the big one next year:(..
How is Jessica today??...

Heidi
x🙂

We've had this conversation on the other email group, thats why I know. There was a huge discussion about it not long ago.

Jessica is much better today. She is off school anyway as there is swine flu at the school and whilst it may be a good idea for her to have it and build up the antibodies, I'm not going to put her in harms way deliberately if you know what I mean. My sister is worried about taking her daughter (with me and Jessica as well) on the tube later in the week but as far as I'm concerned what can we do, stay at home all the time !! Boring and for how long !

Jessica has a stinking cold and a hacking cough so all fun here, otherwise she is fine. We have just watched Harry Potter 1. Have the rest to watch soon. We've seen them all before and went to the cinema last week for the latest one which we loved but it has started the craze again in my house!

Glad to hear that Nathans results were good for his test. 🙂

They always used drops on me and there was a period I refused to have the test done because I hated them so much. But last time for the first time ever the guy decided to have a look first before automatically putting the drops in. He got a good picture without them, so I will definatly be asking them to have a look first without the drops in future.

the drops were the entire reason i refused to go for so long. Am just really happy that I told the nurse lady person that i was scared about them first, because she said I didn't need them! But she did say that one day i might :(

Glad Nathans test went well :D

Thats great news!
A had his done a few months back, and they never even mentioned drops! I think different places have different rules.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back