My first Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

apdouglas

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ok, sorry if this is a little bit too early for some of you but since Christmas is coming and this is my first since diagnosis, I thought I would ask a light-hearted seasonal question.

Christmas is usually my favourite time of the year, I used love all the different varieties of food, drink etc and now I?m thinking how best to approach it this year and would love to hear your thoughts, experiences, etc.

There are 3 options that come to mind, a) be careful as usual and act like it?s just a normal day, b) live life to the full and think, hey it?s only once a year, c) half and half.

If it?s your first Christmas with Diabetes, how are you going to approach it and if you?re a little bit more experienced, how have you approached it in the past?

I know I?m new to this forum but I would really love your thoughts and I hope I haven?t offended anyone by diving in to the forum feet first. It?s just the Christmas market has opened in my city centre and its made feel all Christmasy.

Thanks

Andrew

My head says 'A', my heart says 'B' so I'll probably split the difference and go with option 'C'.

C id say ...i am in same sitchoo its my first xmas and i had all the worries of what am i going to eat etc etc , and on boxing day we go over to other halves bros and its usually all you can fit in your mush , and what do i do about pressies i always gets chocs , but im just guna chill and take it easy , im not going to let it get to me its only one day

Last edited:
I'm guessing C too but I really want it to B!! I'm really going to miss all the choc's and desserts and I know it's a bit controversial but I really love Christmas pud, but have you seen how much sugar is one of those bad boys😱😱

It's the big tins of Roses that are going to tempt me. And all the trimmings in the meal.

I've got to go for A as I've got to lose weight. Bah humbug! We need a Christmas low fat/sugar recipe thread!

I am in the same boat Lisa, but I perhaps would not rule out the odd small festive treat 🙂

wow cheers for that link bev very helpful, i dont like cranberry tho thes rest MMMMM

love the website Bev, thanks. I especially like the pace your self bit, that is something i'm really going to have to take into consideration.

Last christmas I carried on as normal for xmas. But then I guess im lucky as being surrounded by cakes and chocolates actually makes me not want to eat them! Or maybe all the alcohol I drank kept my sugars low 😉
My xmas dinner is usually involving a large pile of veggies which is good (im not going to mention the large pile of potato & meat that they accompany) and pudding is jelly or something like that as I dont do xmas pud or xmas cake.
And yes I do nibble savoury snacks but not excessively.

So for me it will be my version of B which isnt that bad anyway. I hope you find something that works for you 🙂

Im going with c....and escaping to wales...so will get some excellent food XX

I'll go with C too, all things in moderation and all that!! I've been pretty saintly in my first three months as a diabetic, and I'm bu**ered if I'm going completely without at Christmas too !! I will be somewhere in between "being as greedy for chocs etc as I always have been before" and "resisting every single goody I see before me". I'll probably lean towards being fairly good, but I'm not going to set myself up with a target that I'm bound to fail !! I know me!! :D

(prob not the BEST attitude, lol, but one that suits me!)

xx

I'm going to try😱 and stay off the chocolates, but I will be having a bit of Christmas pud, and a couple of roasties with the meal. I don't drink these days so I may try that mulled fruit juice thing on the day, it sounded good.

Hello,

I was diagnosed 2 weeks before Christmas (13 years ago) and it put a huge dampner on things. Ended up with sugar free jelly in the trifle and lots of other sugar avoidance which wasn't much fun.

I've learnt a lot since then and nowadays with MDI and carb counting I'll be going with option B (but then thats what I do most days anyway)

No point having a pen full of Humalog if you're not going to use it 😉

NiVZ

im hoping the M.I.L dont get me choccie knickers like she did last year 😱

Mmmm....welsh lamb!:D

I just wish it wasnt so fatty -it tastes divine🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back