My experiment with carbs is now over.

lordburnside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
My dietition advised that I ate 100 to 200g of carbs a day. two weetabix and a slice of wholemeal toast sent me to 17.6 on my meter. That’s somewhere i have never knowingly been before!

Now I have purchased a carb counter book so i am going for 1 to 90g a day from now on!

Fruits are ok but keep off dates-grapes figs and tropical. Berries are the best.
Veg no sauces - fill you boots but beans can have a few carbs
Meat and fish no sauces - fill your boots. but no batter or breadcrumbs.

Keep off chips spuds rice pasta and bread - these are the work of the devil.
Cheese is ok except fromage frais
Butter is ok but if you dont eat bread who eats butter
Breakfast cereals have about 30 g carbs and the instant porridge 123g!
Nuts and seeds seem generally ok

So Monday is back to a low carb diet. A higher carb diet is diabetes and more weight as far as I can see.

On pasta, it might be worth giving edamame pasta a go if you haven't tried it. It's made (I think) from green soya beans. It tastes fine to me, much lower carbs than ordinary pasta (with higher protein), and looks very much better on a CGM graph. Downside is it's expensive, but it does enable me to eat Bolognese now and then.

Butter is ok but if you dont eat bread who eats butter
I use a knob of it when I make cauliflower or celeriac mash, and if we have a roast dinner I put some on my veg instead of having gravy.

You can use dry rubs or fresh herbs or pastes for curry rather than a jar of sauce.
You can get fish fillets which are labelled 'lightly dusted' so only a thin coating of crumbs.
Just look at the carbs on the sauces before rejecting them, the stir through pasta sauces are not particularly high carb.

I use a knob of it when I make cauliflower or celeriac mash, and if we have a roast dinner I put some on my veg instead of having gravy.
yes, and I love making my omelettes, quiches, scrambled eggs with butter. Oil is not the same. Coconut oil and eggs unless for a sweet dish is def not for me.

I cook veg like cabbage and courgettes and mushrooms with a knob of butter instead of water in the microwave but can also be done in a pan and I cook my omelettes in butter. I tend to use full fat soft cheese in mashed cauli or celeriac. I serve my broccoli with sour cream and chive dip from the deli counter (not the Doritos stuff in a jar) I have just eaten a plate full of broccoli microwaved for 3 mins and served with that dip.
Not sure why Fromage Frais is off your list. What is your problem with that?
Don't forget coleslaw to have with your salads if you like it. It is mostly just cabbage/carrot/onion and mayonnaise so very few carbs in that. It is a staple on my shopping list, usually cheese coleslaw.

Interesting experiments @lordburnside

Will you feed your findings back to the dietician? Might be interesting for them to hear what you found out when following their advice and significantly raised glucose levels that resulted.

Where so many people are denied access to self-monitoring equipment - you might simply have followed their advice, and then blamed yourself when your annual checks went up the spout! It’s only because you have the means to see what happened for you, that you have been able to find a better balance of macronutrients for your metabolism.

Will you feed your findings back to the dietician? Might be interesting for them to hear what you found out when following their advice and significantly raised glucose levels that resulted.

Where so many people are denied access to self-monitoring equipment - you might simply have followed their advice, and then blamed yourself when your annual checks went up the spout! It’s only because you have the means to see what happened for you, that you have been able to find a better balance of macronutrients for your metabolism.
Hi,

This year I will have spent about £350 on monitors but hopefully it will improve my life. Once I have got my BG down to 5/6 or 7 I will only use monitors once a year say.

Why no sauces?
I appreciate some sauces contain carb based thickening agents but not all. And, if you only have a small amount of sauces, the carb content will be small.
Maybe good sauces then when I have identified which are OK. I tend to go for cheese sauces which have flour in but there will be others - its just my ignorance and laziness in the kitchen stops me.

I am awaiting the letter the dietician said he was sending. Once I have read it I will reply if I disagree with something. I will certainly mention the amount of carbs.

I use corn flour for sauces instead of ordinary, works well for me, (although supposedly just as carby) with cheese sauce the fat in the cheese virtually wipes out the carb spike effect, if any as don't eat gallons of it at a time, 1/4 pint is fine, the rest I freeze in portions to zap in microwave in future to pep up veg with my dinners! Do try half apple on its own, then try and test apple with cheese, do a test, you may find it very interesting!

Maybe good sauces then when I have identified which are OK. I tend to go for cheese sauces which have flour in but there will be others - its just my ignorance and laziness in the kitchen stops me.
A good cheese sauce can be made with Philadelphia, grated cheese (use a strong one and you don't need as much) and a teaspoon of mustard. Just heat gently until the cheese melts. No flour needed.

I use corn flour for sauces instead of ordinary, works well for me, (although supposedly just as carby) with cheese sauce the fat in the cheese virtually wipes out the carb spike effect, if any as don't eat gallons of it at a time, 1/4 pint is fine, the rest I freeze in portions to zap in microwave in future to pep up veg with my dinners! Do try half apple on its own, then try and test apple with cheese, do a test, you may find it very interesting!
Hi,

You seem to have done the same as me reducing your HBA1C from 50s to 40 except I think I may have started really well but have begun to slacken my grip on it. I was at 55mmols/mol then went to 42 then had a private test done and was 44 so slipping a touch. Have drunk some alcohol in the warm weather and not walked as often so I need to get back to a strict regime. I think I get an NHS blood test in August so hopefully my slippage is only to 45 or 46.
Tell me what you eat for breakfast and dinner. My lunch is always salad and does nothing to my BG. My breakfast tends to be either bacon egg and tomato or fruit yoghurt with nuts. Dinner tends to be salmon/chicken with veg/beans weekdays.

I cook veg like cabbage and courgettes and mushrooms with a knob of butter instead of water in the microwave but can also be done in a pan and I cook my omelettes in butter. I tend to use full fat soft cheese in mashed cauli or celeriac. I serve my broccoli with sour cream and chive dip from the deli counter (not the Doritos stuff in a jar) I have just eaten a plate full of broccoli microwaved for 3 mins and served with that dip.
Not sure why Fromage Frais is off your list. What is your problem with that?
Don't forget coleslaw to have with your salads if you like it. It is mostly just cabbage/carrot/onion and mayonnaise so very few carbs in that. It is a staple on my shopping list, usually cheese coleslaw.
Thanks. The fromage frais in my calorie/carb book showed a high figure so I dismissed it. I like coleslaw but I was under the impression it had 2 spoons of sugar in each serving. Maybe that was the creamy version.

Thanks. The fromage frais in my calorie/carb book showed a high figure so I dismissed it. I like coleslaw but I was under the impression it had 2 spoons of sugar in each serving. Maybe that was the creamy version.
[//QUOTE]
The fromage frais in my fridge at the moment is 0.7g carb per 100g which to all intents and purposes is zero.
Home made coleslaw is easy, shredded cabbage, carrot, bit of onion and mayonnaise or a mixture of mayo and fromage frais or yoghurt.
Some bought stuff is OK but it can be a bit vinegary. Depends on you taste.

A good cheese sauce can be made with Philadelphia, grated cheese (use a strong one and you don't need as much) and a teaspoon of mustard. Just heat gently until the cheese melts. No flour needed.
Also if avoiding fats you can just go for the lightest fat one. Use cheese and/or herbs / spices for flavour.

As mentioned above fromage frais should have no appreciable carbs so I am not sure if you have misunderstood the book you have or if it is wrong. If you like fromage frais, check the carton before you buy. Flavoured ones may well have more carbs but plain should be fine.
With coleslaw the creamy ones are usually lower carb than the low fat ones and more enjoyable. I get my cheese coleslaw from Lidl and it is 5.2gcarbs per 100g which is about the same as natural yoghurt, so that is fine in my book and since I am usually having it with salad or chilli, there are not many other carbs in those meals so 5g from my big dollop of coleslaw is not going to break the bank and makes my meal so much more enjoyable..... plus it is adding extra cabbage to my diet which can only be a good thing! :D

With coleslaw the creamy ones are usually lower carb than the low fat ones and more enjoyable. I get my cheese coleslaw from Lidl and it is 5.2gcarbs per 100g which is about the same as natural yoghurt, so that is fine in my book and since I am usually having it with salad or chilli, there are not many other carbs in those meals so 5g from my big dollop of coleslaw is not going to break the bank and makes my meal so much more enjoyable..... plus it is adding extra cabbage to my diet which can only be a good thing! :D
The Waitrose coleslaw I buy is pretty much the same at 5.4g carb per 100g. I've bought Morrisons or Sainsbury's coleslaws occasionally and they're only a little higher at just under 7g carb per 100g. Also, the fat is mostly unsaturated - the 'good' fat.

Hi,

You seem to have done the same as me reducing your HBA1C from 50s to 40 except I think I may have started really well but have begun to slacken my grip on it. I was at 55mmols/mol then went to 42 then had a private test done and was 44 so slipping a touch. Have drunk some alcohol in the warm weather and not walked as often so I need to get back to a strict regime. I think I get an NHS blood test in August so hopefully my slippage is only to 45 or 46.
Tell me what you eat for breakfast and dinner. My lunch is always salad and does nothing to my BG. My breakfast tends to be either bacon egg and tomato or fruit yoghurt with nuts. Dinner tends to be salmon/chicken with veg/beans weekdays.
Your doing well as far as I am concerned! A lot of 'us' seem to try and chase the HBA1C low 30's but am happy with high 30's or low 40's, have come to realise I have this problem and it will never go away but to manage it in a way that doesn't take over my life or stress me out, also I know if figures worsen in the future I have eating tools in my armoury, (further adjustments like giving up my daily pint), that I can use as well as the eventual meds route I guess.
Breakfast and dinner similar to you, breakfast alternates between poached eggs on toast and half Kvarg protein pud with strawberries or rasberries, full english or an avacado with salad cream and two slices toast all together with a cuppa and a fresh coffee with cream before and after. Dinners have not changed a great deal from standard family fair such as roasts, casseroles, spaghetti bolegnase, shepherds pies, sausages, cauliflower cheese with ham, takeaway chineese and Indians, grilled salmon, salads, lamb chops, steak, gammon etc. all with veg, substituting pasta and rice with cauli rice, potato with bread rolls, or if out having curry take a couple of low carb wraps to use like chapattis. I am lucky enough to be able to eat higher carb load in evenings so can have a yorkshire pud, a bit of stuffing and one potato with my roast. Mash potato I can have if cheese is mashed into it, the fat slows the carb spike. My breads, rolls and wraps are all special keto type low carb, a godsend. see 'seriously low carb' company, get them delivered monthly. I do still follow the limits of a non diabetic when testing though, max 7.8 two hrs after a meal. I reach below or equal to this about 90% of the time, if too high a short walk sorts it out! Am aware that meters are not that accurate and 7.8 could actually be 8.8 ish or 6.8 ish hence my 7.8 upper target.Only test after evening meal nowadays.

Back