Mental Health And Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.
For me there’s a need to be open about it all. Or at least there is these days. I kept quiet about the sexual violence for decades but that continued the harm and control those men had over me. Now I’m confident that it was not my fault I have nothing to be ashamed of. And asking for help is truly a sign of strength.
I’m incredibly frank with any medical person about everything as I now appreciate it’s all interconnected.

I have to say you’re equally as brave in being open about your mental health on here and I’m grateful to you for being so.
I did have a psychiatrist but he discharged me back to my gp . So my poor doctor has to deal with my diabetes and my mental health I get support from mind but that's it . The mental health services here in Wales and the rest of the UK are shocking and not fit for purpose

I comfort eat when I am anxious and depressed and my poor diet over the years has made my food intake far less healthy than it should have been .
Unfortunately it’s so hard to recognise when it’s becoming an issue, the fact you can see this is amazing and you should be proud of yourself, I really hope you can talk to your dr about help options x

I hope Diabetes UK will put more of a focus on this and really press for change

The DUK website has been updated to mention the potential impact of diabetes on emotional wellbeing and mental health

Spoke to a helpful nurse this morning , said because I wasn't seriously ill MIND would be best to support me at this point . She was saying the criteria to get support from the Psychiatrists and Mental Health Nurses is very high .

Spoke to a helpful nurse this morning , said because I wasn't seriously ill MIND would be best to support me at this point . She was saying the criteria to get support from the Psychiatrists and Mental Health Nurses is very high .
And even then I’ve been on the waiting list nearly 2 years

So
Sorry just seen this, hope your ok x

Just ta
That's no problem Sarah x

I was in hospital for depression and anxiety 4 years ago , a dreadful experience , like hell on earth really .....so compared to that I am a lot better and if the Doctors and nurses think I am best off as I am , I am happy with that
just take care though, been there too as a teenager, was horrible, wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy x

I've had it since i was little, i was bullied in school, my family wasn't much of a family and i was always lonely as i had no one to hang out with when i left school. When the family split up, things got worse, specially when working in retail. My mental state has affected my mood, my attitude, i can't stand people atm, i get very annoyed and irritable quickly. Worrying can also be an issue. It gets so much worse during the christmas period. I was never given help and tbh, i've not had any diabetic check ups in more than a year. I've personally lost interest and sleep a lot these days.

I've had it since i was little, i was bullied in school, my family wasn't much of a family and i was always lonely as i had no one to hang out with when i left school. When the family split up, things got worse, specially when working in retail. My mental state has affected my mood, my attitude, i can't stand people atm, i get very annoyed and irritable quickly. Worrying can also be an issue. It gets so much worse during the christmas period. I was never given help and tbh, i've not had any diabetic check ups in more than a year. I've personally lost interest and sleep a lot these days.
Your not alone feeling this way. It’s quite common among the diabetic and non diabetic communities. I get the Christmas thing, I’ve had some absolute shockers! The adverts of perfect families, the Xmas parties you don’t want to go to and let’s not forget all the food (most of which I can’t eat) it’s like a pressure to act and feel a certain way. You just do you as my kids say. Whatever makes you happy

Firstly I understand

I would ask you to try and get down your doctors for a diabetes and general health check up ? Can you do that ? It would be great if you could my friend

Are you taking any medication for your depression and anxiety ? If you are and it's not really helping you could maybe speak to your doctor about trying something else ?

Have you had any counselling ? You try some more if you have already

I find a free call line called CALM very helpful ......every evening , between 5 pm and midnight ......0800 58 58 58 .....its free and staffed by trained mental health workers

MIND are also very helpful where I live .....search your local area , maybe they can give you some support ?

I am sorry you are suffering like this , its horrible and a lot of people go through it

I absolutely hate Christmas and always have , ever since I can remember

Take care

Your not alone feeling this way. It’s quite common among the diabetic and non diabetic communities. I get the Christmas thing, I’ve had some absolute shockers! The adverts of perfect families, the Xmas parties you don’t want to go to and let’s not forget all the food (most of which I can’t eat) it’s like a pressure to act and feel a certain way. You just do you as my kids say. Whatever makes you happy
I would say most Xmases, most years are indeed shockers

I just do the basics , keep away from parties and alcohol .....I am not a drinker anyway ......listen to music , avoid Xmas television and make sure that I have lots of things to do around the house

I really can't be doing with all the fuss and organising . As for cooking Xmas turkey I can't think of anything worse , I would rather have a curry so visit one of the local Indian take aways open at this time of year

Do any of you guys experience mental health problems ?

I started suffering from anxiety and depression whilst away at university 30 years ago and I feel my lack of self care , particularly in diet and nutrition has led me to a diagnosis of diabetes .

In addition having diabetes has increased my existing anxiety and depression problems if that makes any sense ?

I will say in my experience people are happier to talk about diabetes than they are about their or someone else's mental health

Paul
Hi Paul,

I have suffered from depression on and off for 18 yrs now. Diagonosed with Type 2 two years ago which kickstarted anxiety for me. I now get anxiety attacks and what a horrible thing it is. Diabetes has had an affect on my mental state. You're not alone bud.

Al.

Hi Paul,

I have suffered from depression on and off for 18 yrs now. Diagonosed with Type 2 two years ago which kickstarted anxiety for me. I now get anxiety attacks and what a horrible thing it is. Diabetes has had an affect on my mental state. You're not alone bud.

Al.
Thanks AL we certainly ain't alone

I just accept its part of who I am now . I take medication which mostly works but there are times when even with healthy eating , exercise and avoiding too much stress I get very black periods full of worry and fear .

Yes. I accepted a long time ago that I will probably need help with the depression for the rest of my days. I also have dark periods and it’s hard getting through it but I manage it somehow. I am recovering from a stroke at the moment and I’ve been all over the place recently. Had anxiety attacks in the early hours for the past three days. We’ll get through. Here if you want to chat.

Yes. I accepted a long time ago that I will probably need help with the depression for the rest of my days. I also have dark periods and it’s hard getting through it but I manage it somehow. I am recovering from a stroke at the moment and I’ve been all over the place recently. Had anxiety attacks in the early hours for the past three days. We’ll get through. Here if you want to chat.
Yes , you too , pm me if you wish

Taffy

I going though a stuff time properly my own doing as I stopped my meds for two weeks and got really il.Frist I got DKA was in hospital for three days and then came home within a few days I starting getting mini strokes TIAs.I was totally overwhelmed with it all still am really.I suffered from depression and anxiety borderline personality disorder and comfort eat which does not help my type two diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back