Mental Health And Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do any of you guys experience mental health problems ?

I started suffering from anxiety and depression whilst away at university 30 years ago and I feel my lack of self care , particularly in diet and nutrition has led me to a diagnosis of diabetes .

In addition having diabetes has increased my existing anxiety and depression problems if that makes any sense ?

I will say in my experience people are happier to talk about diabetes than they are about their or someone else's mental health

Paul

I can relate to this. I lost my Dad in 2018. At that time I was on a great training regime with my PT and was losing weight to prevent T2, as I had been told I was headed that way. When I lost my Dad, I slipped into serious anger issues and depression. I was fortunate enough to have therapy available to me through work but I still put on some serious weight, ended up T2 and now 4 years later I am still fighting to get everything sorted mentally and physically. Some days it feels like absolute despair and I cannot focus. Other days, I am beast with focus and strength.
Never be afraid to talk to people - facing your emotions, even just ranting, can really help.

having diabetes has increased my existing anxiety and depression problems if that makes any sense ?
It makes a lot of sense to me - after dx I became anxious and very unhappy. It IS important to talk to other people but I find I don't have the vocabulary to express what I'm feeling. We know how to talk about physical illness, but not mental illness. But the more we try, the better we'll get at it, I reckon. My anxiety was very much BG-based - the Libre helped me deal with that. And my best friend is always happy to talk and listen, so I'm in a much better place now.
Sorry to hear about your anxiety and depression @Taffyboyslim.

Eating low carb seems to help some people with emotional difficulties - far larger claims are also made, but only at some distance so I do not give them as much credence as actual reported experience.
Although diet is a powerful tool in controlling type 2 it is not why it arrives in the first place - at least for me there had been a problem with carbohydrates having an adverse effect all my adult life. I think many people have negative thoughts about how they gave themselves type 2, but it is far more likely that the modern diet which is low fat and high in carbs, always described as healthy, is the root of the problem. I have had people lecturing me in not sticking to a way of eating which made me feel unwell since I was in my 20s and I am over 70 now.
The added advantage of eating to control blood glucose is that it tends to reduce body weight and volume as well.

It makes a lot of sense to me - after dx I became anxious and very unhappy. It IS important to talk to other people but I find I don't have the vocabulary to express what I'm feeling. We know how to talk about physical illness, but not mental illness. But the more we try, the better we'll get at it, I reckon. My anxiety was very much BG-based - the Libre helped me deal with that. And my best friend is always happy to talk and listen, so I'm in a much better place now.
Thank you and I wish you peace too

Makes a lot of sense to me too! For some people, like Grovesy, having diabetes may not make their existing depression or anxiety worse. But for a lot of people it will, and probably especially for people with problems with anxiety; as far as I can tell, medical professionals who deal with diabetes are well aware of the interactions between diabetes and mental health.

Taffyboy/Paul-- have you tried talking to your diabetes nurse or GP about where you could get some help for your anxiety and depression? Or have you tried 'IAPT'? https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/ta...rapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/ .

You're right that, unfortunately, people are still often reluctant to talk about their own or someone else's mental health-- despite all the celebrities talking about mental health, television programmes about it, stuff on the internet, etc etc. But-- one of the things talking to a professional can do is help you work out how to talk about it and make you more comfortable with talking about it; and that can make other people more comfortable with it too.

I hope you find someone to talk to; and in the meantime there are lots of kind and helpful people on this forum, happy to offer advice and support. Wishing you all the best!

I have a long standing eating disorder and other mental health diagnosis but now find that peaks in my depression and anxiety reflect high blood sugar readings, waiting on further treatment and help at the moment.

Makes a lot of sense to me too! For some people, like Grovesy, having diabetes may not make their existing depression or anxiety worse. But for a lot of people it will, and probably especially for people with problems with anxiety; as far as I can tell, medical professionals who deal with diabetes are well aware of the interactions between diabetes and mental health.

Taffyboy/Paul-- have you tried talking to your diabetes nurse or GP about where you could get some help for your anxiety and depression? Or have you tried 'IAPT'? https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/ta...rapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/ .

You're right that, unfortunately, people are still often reluctant to talk about their own or someone else's mental health-- despite all the celebrities talking about mental health, television programmes about it, stuff on the internet, etc etc. But-- one of the things talking to a professional can do is help you work out how to talk about it and make you more comfortable with talking about it; and that can make other people more comfortable with it too.

I hope you find someone to talk to; and in the meantime there are lots of kind and helpful people on this forum, happy to offer advice and support. Wishing you all the best!
Thank you . I have had several periods of very serious anxiety and depression . I had to care for both my mother and father with alzheimers and that nearly finished me off and when I got diagnosed with diabetes in June of this year I saw this as yet another battle . My anxiety is worse than it has been for some time and this is definitely the diabetes and its emotional consequences .

I have a long standing eating disorder and other mental health diagnosis but now find that peaks in my depression and anxiety reflect high blood sugar readings, waiting on further treatment and help at the moment.
I comfort eat when I am anxious and depressed and my poor diet over the years has made my food intake far less healthy than it should have been .

Yep, depression, anxiety. PTSD eating disorders. It had gotten a little better recently after a lot of hard work on myself. However I’m feeling a shift in the wrong direction at the minute and I have no idea why…. I’m hoping it’s just a little bump in the road rather than a total derailing.

Yep, depression, anxiety. PTSD eating disorders. It had gotten a little better recently after a lot of hard work on myself. However I’m feeling a shift in the wrong direction at the minute and I have no idea why…. I’m hoping it’s just a little bump in the road rather than a total derailing.
I tend to get in touch with my doctor when I am feeling on a slide
Best wishes

Fantastic reply. Another who doesn't have vocabulary to express feelings sometimes so can keep true feelings inward, but talking no matter how little certainly does help matters.

Diagnosed with depression and anxiety early 2000 after a complete breakdown in 1999.
Episodic bouts of depression and anxiety ever since.
This year that original diagnosis was amended to PTSD arising from sexual violence leading to depression and anxiety.
20mg Escitalopram a day for maybe 14 years now and various meds before that.
At least five rounds of counselling and therapy and now in the middle of ongoing therapy with Survivors UK and also with the NHS.

Yes it impacts my diabetes management and my diet choices also impact my mental health.

I have also recently started to attend Overeaters Anonymous groups.

I have to say I’ve not got any issues being open about my mental health in general and especially so in this forum.

The association between diabetes and increased risk of depression is pretty well established I think. Isn’t there some suggestion that a person with diabetes who actively manages their condition needs to take more than 100 extra decisions each day or something?

Diabetes UK have been raising this as more of a focus in recent years in the way they plan and prioritise their work. As an example the ‘It’s Missing’ campaign from last year (or was it the year before?)

Diagnosed with depression and anxiety early 2000 after a complete breakdown in 1999.
Episodic bouts of depression and anxiety ever since.
This year that original diagnosis was amended to PTSD arising from sexual violence leading to depression and anxiety.
20mg Escitalopram a day for maybe 14 years now and various meds before that.
At least five rounds of counselling and therapy and now in the middle of ongoing therapy with Survivors UK and also with the NHS.

Yes it impacts my diabetes management and my diet choices also impact my mental health.

I have also recently started to attend Overeaters Anonymous groups.

I have to say I’ve not got any issues being open about my mental health in general and especially so in this forum.
You are very proud of your strength and courage ?

You certainly should be

Take care

You are very proud of your strength and courage ?

You certainly should be

Take care
Thank you.
For me there’s a need to be open about it all. Or at least there is these days. I kept quiet about the sexual violence for decades but that continued the harm and control those men had over me. Now I’m confident that it was not my fault I have nothing to be ashamed of. And asking for help is truly a sign of strength.
I’m incredibly frank with any medical person about everything as I now appreciate it’s all interconnected.

I have to say you’re equally as brave in being open about your mental health on here and I’m grateful to you for being so.

Thank you.
For me there’s a need to be open about it all. Or at least there is these days. I kept quiet about the sexual violence for decades but that continued the harm and control those men had over me. Now I’m confident that it was not my fault I have nothing to be ashamed of. And asking for help is truly a sign of strength.
I’m incredibly frank with any medical person about everything as I now appreciate it’s all interconnected.

I have to say you’re equally as brave in being open about your mental health on here and I’m grateful to you for being so.
My friend has a diagnosis of complex ptsd related to a number of assaults , she had to fight for support but now has more good days than bad . She takes medication and sees a kind psychiatrist that helps .

The association between diabetes and increased risk of depression is pretty well established I think. Isn’t there some suggestion that a person with diabetes who actively manages their condition needs to take more than 100 extra decisions each day or something?

Diabetes UK have been raising this as more of a focus in recent years in the way they plan and prioritise their work. As an example the ‘It’s Missing’ campaign from last year (or was it the year before?)

I just checked; the Diabetes UK report supporting this campaign is dated May 2019. I can't find any follow-up report; it would be good to know whether any progress has been made in implementing the report's recommendations, and if so how much. Is a follow-up planned?

Mental-health support for people with diabetes, whether Type 1 or Type 2, should be routine, a standard part of the package. Even in cold hard cash terms: surely this would save a lot of money in the long run? Given that, if we diabetics need mental-health support (whether arising from the stress of diabetes itself or from something else) and don't get it or don't get it soon enough, this will inevitably interfere with our management of our diabetes and cost the NHS much more in the long run? ...

I hope Diabetes UK will put more of a focus on this and really press for change.

Thank you.

My friend has a diagnosis of complex ptsd related to a number of assaults , she had to fight for support but now has more good days than bad . She takes medication and sees a kind psychiatrist that helps .
I just checked; the Diabetes UK report supporting this campaign is dated May 2019. I can't find any follow-up report; it would be good to know whether any progress has been made in implementing the report's recommendations, and if so how much. Is a follow-up planned?

Mental-health support for people with diabetes, whether Type 1 or Type 2, should be routine, a standard part of the package. Even in cold hard cash terms: surely this would save a lot of money in the long run? Given that, if we diabetics need mental-health support (whether arising from the stress of diabetes itself or from something else) and don't get it or don't get it soon enough, this will inevitably interfere with our management of our diabetes and cost the NHS much more in the long run? ...

I hope Diabetes UK will put more of a focus on this and really press for change.
I get more help from MIND than the nhs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back