Meat or veggie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal world we could buy meat from local butchers where animals have been fed naturally outdoors & had good quality of life in short time that they lived, truth is there's hardly any local butchers now as they've been forced out by supermarkets who mainly purchase meat from intensive farming, no matter what labels claim.

When we were kids we had 2 butchers shops within half mile of where we lived, town was scattered with them & indoor market must have at least 6 butchers stalls, same again with fishmongers & greengrocers, now they have gone apart from 1 greengrocer stall.

So for most only option is to buy from supermarkets, sad but sign of the times & doubt very much we will ever return to what it was decades before.

One of my things is sausages.
I'll pay up to £1 a link for a decent one.
I have been in hundreds of butchers and farm shops for locally reared pork and locally made sausages, in the UK, but over Europe as well.
I bought some cocktail sausages to use as pigs in blankets, came to make them and realised they had wheat flour in, so I have to find some gluten free ones for one of our guests.
Aldi do one with rice flour.
So they're made, but I tried a taste comparison with the two types of sausages with the left overs.
It was very close, but the Aldi ones won!
So, a better sausage at less than half the price.

One of my things is sausages.
I'll pay up to £1 a link for a decent one.
I have been in hundreds of butchers and farm shops for locally reared pork and locally made sausages, in the UK, but over Europe as well.
I bought some cocktail sausages to use as pigs in blankets, came to make them and realised they had wheat flour in, so I have to find some gluten free ones for one of our guests.
Aldi do one with rice flour.
So they're made, but I tried a taste comparison with the two types of sausages with the left overs.
It was very close, but the Aldi ones won!
So, a better sausage at less than half the price.

£1 for link, now your showing off, no way could most of us afford that.

Got 2 packs of high meat sausage in Asda earlier in week, nearly £3 pack but you got 2 for £5, not long ago it was 2 packs for £4, that's my kinda price range.

Got 2 packs of high meat sausage in Asda earlier in week, nearly £3 pack but you got 2 for £5, not long ago it was 2 packs for £4, that's my kinda price range.

I am on a quest for the best sausage, so that includes venison and wild boar.
I must admit, the last place had a massive range of flavours and meats, it was like Noah's ark.
Two of them, them of them, two of them.....

I am on a quest for the best sausage, so that includes venison and wild boar.
I must admit, the last place had a massive range of flavours and meats, it was like Noah's ark.
Two of them, them of them, two of them.....

Did you ask your butcher for gluten-free sausages?

For a long time, our local, excellent butcher only stocked bought in GF sausages that were utterly dire. Whilst they might have been gluten free they were also texture and flavour free - not at all aligned to the rest of their offering. After asking several times, they now do a small range of shop made GF sausages which have excellent texture, although I would have added more seasoning had I been at the helm.

Apparently, the whole (about 3) range of GF options are very popular and they are considering converting all their sausages to GF. Apparently, there is quite a demand these days, but some were simply not buying sausages from the butcher.
You might get lucky.

As someone who is 100% GF, all of the ASDA Exrta Special sausages are gluten-free.

Our local butcher has started doing shop made GF sausages, which is great too.

As someone who is 100% GF, all of the ASDA Exrta Special sausages are gluten-free.

I've found most supermarket sausages are now fortunately, but this was an old farm shop butcher still using wheat flour rather than rice flour.
I'm not gluten free, so didn't check.
It was the cocktail sausages I bought for the pigs in blankets that caught me out.
And ironically, the Aldi sausages tasted better in the end as well, just unfortunately they are extra long pigs, as they only do chipolata, not cocktail!

That's ones we bought, bramly apple flavoured, always good quality sausages & don't have that chewy skin that some brands do.

I think the problem with people going vegetarian may be that they end up eating more and more highly processed foods and there may well be a connection between highly processed foods and obesity and diabetes.

All these milk alternatives are quite highly processed.
The meat free sausages and burgers and mince etc. are all manufactured foods that bear little resemblance to the starting products and contain additives.
I have no problem with people eating real vegetarian food that they produce from real ingredients, but it is too easy to increasingly buy and eat more processed foods by going vegetarian because many of the meat replacements are highly processed.
My guess would be that the majority of vegetarians these days are buying ready made foods and meat replacements rather than cooking real vegetarian recipes from real ingredients and I think this may turn out to be less healthy than eating meat in the long run.
I am also not convinced that it is better for the planet....particularly the milk alternatives. I cannot see how almond milk with all the issues over pesticide usage, bee colony stress/collapse and draining limited water resources, then manufactured in factories where energy is needed and more water is added and then shipped half way around the world, can possible be less environmentally destructive than milk produced by a cow that grazes a field 8 miles from me! (I buy locally produced milk... not that I use much.)
Completely agree, a home made /wholefoods diet is far healthier than processed meat substitutes in terms of fat and salt. It takes more work but is worth it, I eat close to vegan now due to advice from my surgeon re my pancreatitis, it is hard balancing the carbs but can be done.

I was brought up vegetarian but my husband and I went vegan 6 years ago which was initially to help with his blood pressure and cholesterol, which were extremely high for someone in their 20s. He was able to get his numbers back into the healthy range without making any other lifestyle changes or going medication (we used to eat a LOT of cheese - eliminating this alone I imagine helped with his 2stone weight loss!)

Totally agree though that anyone can have a bad diet regardless of whether they are plant based, vegetarian, meat eater etc. when we went vegan there were hardly any options when it came to fake cheese or meat, definitely wasn’t plant based croissants, chocolate, biscuits etc around! The options now are so vast, which is brilliant, but also means having an ‘unhealthy’ vegetarian or vegan diet is much easier.

I try and stick to plant based proteins like tempeh (fermented beans, which sounds disgusting but is very nice!) but inevitably have the odd treat. I think that like with any food, the more processed it is it will invariably be less good for you.

Before anyone makes any assumptions about the vegan person, I respect everyone’s choices about what they eat! It’s personal choice.

I was brought up vegetarian but my husband and I went vegan 6 years ago which was initially to help with his blood pressure and cholesterol, which were extremely high for someone in their 20s. He was able to get his numbers back into the healthy range without making any other lifestyle changes or going medication (we used to eat a LOT of cheese - eliminating this alone I imagine helped with his 2stone weight loss!)

Totally agree though that anyone can have a bad diet regardless of whether they are plant based, vegetarian, meat eater etc. when we went vegan there were hardly any options when it came to fake cheese or meat, definitely wasn’t plant based croissants, chocolate, biscuits etc around! The options now are so vast, which is brilliant, but also means having an ‘unhealthy’ vegetarian or vegan diet is much easier.

I try and stick to plant based proteins like tempeh (fermented beans, which sounds disgusting but is very nice!) but inevitably have the odd treat. I think that like with any food, the more processed it is it will invariably be less good for you.

Before anyone makes any assumptions about the vegan person, I respect everyone’s choices about what they eat! It’s personal choice.

Well done.

Actually had meat free day yesterday & might try to push it to 2 days a week this year, couldn't go vegan as like dairy.

We've just started the January diet, I think we'll be making the choice to go a lot more plant based when we come off it.
It's surprising how much meat had crept in, and the wrong sort of meat with unhealthy fats.
(The sausages may be on hold :( )
As you said, also too much cheese, so a "reset" is definitely needed.

Why saturated fat might not be a problem at all...

Watch out for seed oils instead.

Why saturated fat might not be a problem at all...

Watch out for seed oils instead.

Happy New Year Eddie.
Here's to you achieving your target of cholesterol in the teens, and living forever?
Not far to go now 🙂

Happy New Year Eddie.
Here's to you achieving your target of cholesterol in the teens, and living forever?
Not far to go now 🙂
Still here thanks .. and still not "Eddie"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back