Measuring carbs - lentils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made cruchy chickpeas for snacks last night for today and I must say they are delicious :D Tinned chickpeas washed, drained and dried, touch of olive oil and some spices and in oven for 30mins job done - will 100% be making more and in bigger batches :D
Look lovely and I am sure delicious but they will be a quite high carb snack (probably not much different to crisps), so you will need to be quite disciplined about how many you eat.

@Nige13 what spices did you use.

if im making a curry the chickpeas will be garam masala.
if they are for a snack they will be chilli/paprika and then lemon or lime juice for the last 5 mins of baking.

you can do the same thing with peanuts and almonds if you eat them. just dont bake them for anywhere near as long.

I was told that chickpeas affect us differently.
Some of us digest them fully including carbs and for others they ... ahem ... pass through.

So it it definitely worth testing to see which type of chickpea digester you are.

Look lovely and I am sure delicious but they will be a quite high carb snack (probably not much different to crisps), so you will need to be quite disciplined about how many you eat.

Hi 9.0g of carbs per 100g but I am only having 25g :D Think they are better than the average crisp?

Hi 9.0g of carbs per 100g but I am only having 25g :D Think they are better than the average crisp?
My can of chickpeas says 17.5g carbs per 100g drained weight.... remember you are pouring off the liquid rinsing and drying them. So that is near enough double the figure you have and roasting them in the oven will further remove water and therefore increase the carb content, so if you are weighing 25g of end product, the carb content will likely be quite a bit higher than you have calculated. Just wanting to make yourself and others aware that they may not be an ideal snack for some people following a low carb way of eating.

My can of chickpeas says 17.5g carbs per 100g drained weight.... remember you are pouring off the liquid rinsing and drying them. So that is near enough double the figure you have and roasting them in the oven will further remove water and therefore increase the carb content, so if you are weighing 25g of end product, the carb content will likely be quite a bit higher than you have calculated. Just wanting to make yourself and others aware that they may not be an ideal snack for some people following a low carb way of eating.

This is my tin 😳 may be I am reading it incorrecty?
75d2d032-37b7-47ed-b6dc-3a28a2693cae.jpg

That will be the whole tin contents. Once you pour off the liquid the carb content will most likely double because the carbs are almost all in the chickpeas not the liquid.
My label gives it as 17.9g/100g with an asterisk next to the 100g and a note above explaining that the asterisk indicates that is drained weight.
I used to work in a public analysts lab so I am more switched on to food analysis than the average person might be, because I used to carry out the analysis to check these things.

That will be the whole tin contents. Once you pour off the liquid the carb content will most likely double because the carbs are almost all in the chickpeas not the liquid.
My label gives it as 17.9g/100g with an asterisk next to the 100g and a note above explaining that the asterisk indicates that is drained weight.
I used to work in a public analysts lab so I am more switched on to food analysis than the average person might be, because I used to carry out the analysis to check these things.
Hi,
I am only having 25g of cooked chickpeas all day so cant be that bad or that many carbs? (May be 12-15g)?

Yes, I am not saying not to eat them but just that they do contain a significant % of carbs so you need to be disciplined about how many you eat and that it is important to understand food labelling.

When you get your meter then you will be able to test and see if your body is able to cope OK with that portion.
12-15g is equivalent to a slice of bread or 3 teaspoons of sugar. Obviously a lot healthier than the latter but still carbs to add to your daily total.
There are lots of people who read the forum and I just wanted to make it clear that this might not be a good low carb snack option for some people, especially as a regular snack or for people to feel like they can eat them ad lib. Portion control and testing to see how your body responds is important with these things.

Screenshot_20220817-144224.png

Nutritional contents are normally drained weight for items like these, as that is the way the product is normally used.

13.6g in Tescos

It has to specify if it is a drained weight analysis.

It has to specify if it is a drained weight analysis.

It doesn't actually have to be analysis
The actual spec for nutritional information used to be a best guess was acceptable, unless it was deliberately misleading?

It does have to specify if the values are relating to drained weight though as it makes a very significant difference.

It does have to specify if the values are relating to drained weight though as it makes a very significant difference.
I haven't seen the whole label, or know the brand, so I won't speculate.
Tesco label does specify they are drained, and still are only 3/4 of the carbs in yours.
After that, we're worrying over 4 grams of carbs per 100g?
I don't believe the label is vaguely that accurate to be honest, as there is no standard or tolerance to it.

i've just checked my canned beans/chickpeas and they all have the values as drained too.
still reckon the chickpeas would be a better choice than a bag of crisps in terms of carbs, fat, (probably salt too)

glad it was pointed out - best to be informed and make the choices based on that info.

I got them from an Asian supermarket and it does not mention drained or not on the label.

I had a look in the cupboard, and a tin of KTC brand chickpeas in brine (from the Indian supermarket), has 116 Kcal, 15g carbohydrate /100g drained.
Dried chickpeas (Bodrun brand, from a Turkish supermarket) are 63g per 100g, with no information on what they are after being hydrated and cooked. So no idea how they compare.

I've tested my BG after eating them multiple times and am in the "pass through" camp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back