MEAL REPLACMENT SHAKES

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have since tried a number of Exante flavours. With one exception I found them far too sweet but they do have better flavours than SlimFast, Tesco. I have one before my exercise class as I don't like to be too full.
As I mentioned, when I make up an Exante shake I include a spoonful of natural yogurt, which cuts back the sweetness

I used Nuut which comes from Australia. I preferred it because it was plant based and not too sweet. But there appear to be supply issues and very long delivery times since COVID. So I have since tried a number of Exante flavours. With one exception I found them far too sweet but they do have better flavours than SlimFast, Tesco. I have one before my exercise class as I don't like to be too full.
They are all rather sweet but if you make them with plenty of ice that tastes some of the sweetness away. Also adding a dash of cream helps.

As I mentioned, when I make up an Exante shake I include a spoonful of natural yogurt, which cuts back the sweetness
I have done well on Exante. I have been maintaining after loosing 2 1/2 stone. I find it hard to slim in mid-winter so maintaining is the next best thing. At least I don't put on and I hope to continue losing when the weather warms. I do like Exante meal replacements, shakes etc. I tend to buy when they are on special offer and often get the low sugar types. Roll on warmer weather. I can't put any weight on now as I have taken all my clothes in. 😉. I would like to find out more about the trials of the diabetes slimming powders run by Diabetes UK I think. Anyway I will be looking to find out more about how to join the special foods produced by Exante for Diabetes 2 sufferers.

Hello, I have just been put on metformin. I have also been told about REWIND diet programme. Has anyone else been put on this meal replacement / low carb plan?

Hello, I have just been put on metformin. I have also been told about REWIND diet programme. Has anyone else been put on this meal replacement / low carb plan?
I’ve done similar but not under the REWIND umbrella personally because my figures are not bad enough to qualify.

I’m just starting another period of shake based very low calorie only to drop the remaining pounds and get my blood glucose a bit lower.

What questions do you have and how did you come to be diagnosed?

Thanks ColinUK for your response.
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and kept promising to get my glucose and weight under the limits. Last month i had to admit that my attempts were not working and agreed to go on to Metformin. I am not coping well with the tablets and was offered the REWIND programme this week but do not know anything about it. Such as do i have to have the shakes and soups ONLY for the first three months because that would drive me crazy without any Indian food or cooking. Does that mean that i cannot go out with friends etc for a meal.

I wondered if anyone on this forum has any experience of how they cope with these sorts of issues.

Thanks ColinUK for your response.
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and kept promising to get my glucose and weight under the limits. Last month i had to admit that my attempts were not working and agreed to go on to Metformin. I am not coping well with the tablets and was offered the REWIND programme this week but do not know anything about it. Such as do i have to have the shakes and soups ONLY for the first three months because that would drive me crazy without any Indian food or cooking. Does that mean that i cannot go out with friends etc for a meal.

I wondered if anyone on this forum has any experience of how they cope with these sorts of issues.
There's a whole section on the forum which is weightloss related. I've got a long running thread there about my journey so feel free to read and comment 🙂

With regard to Rekhaws request for anyone who may have advice on the sorrows relating to not being able to have certain foods.

I too enjoy Chinese and Indian foods, as well as a certain dish called Bunny Chou (Fish including crustaceans in fish sauce all piled into a scooped out, buttered and toasted cabbage loaf - very high carbs and sugared meals). I also like Cream slices.

My method of coping is to place a date in the diary in which I may decide to partake in any one of these particular foods either by purchasing a take-away or eating out. (Well worth mentioning here to get in touch with your regular restaurant to see if they cater for our problems.) As for the Cream slice I usually put that in the diary every two months but to be honest it is very hard to find a cream slice where I live now because most of the bakers don't use cream anymore.

By doing this I have weaned myself from always getting such meals and treat it as a much loved rare treat. I still have home-cooked legal meals as I cook them myself I know what is in the meal and don't have to worry. Not so great if one doesn't like cooking but I do enjoy cooking.

I would love to know how others cope and if any Indian or Chinese restaurants show an interest in doing special meals using alternatives to sugar or carbs.

I am happy to be free of back pain still and ensuring I have batch baked goodies for my husband to partake in whilst I carry on with my Exante powders. I will be trying to get onto their special program for people with Diabetes when I can get my medic to write me a note to send to Exante.

Hi
I ordered a pack of twelve different varieties of Purition Shakes from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. They are certainly very different from those sold by Tesco and Asda in both texture and taste, having 'healthier' ingredients, e.g. sunflower kernels, golden linseed, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc which I like. They are 'grainy' in texture, not smooth, so you find yourself having to chew and swallow minute pieces of nuts and seeds. So far I've tried strawberry, pistachio, coffee and walnut, macadamia and vanilla, but not yet tried the more unusual ones such as beetroot and chocolate, curcumin and black pepper.

I had three packets yesterday, which kept me going through the day, but when 10.00pm came I suddenly found myself very hungry and could easily have eaten something. So today I'm about to make some courgette and leek soup and most likely will have a bowl of this later on if the need to eat proves overwhelming.

This morning before going out I had one of the sachets and it kept me full for five hours. And its now three hours since I had the last one at lunchtime and I still feel full.

Do I like them? Yes, I do. How long can I keep it up just having shakes, I can't really say. I'm usually always hungry!

When I had the three Covid vaccinations it caused my blood glucose readings to shoot up from being in the sixes into the sevens and higher, and nothing I do seems to make a difference apart from walking. This morning after walking for about two hours my blood glucose levels had dropped to 5.9!

Best wishes.

Thanks @mopinwil and @AngelSprings . When I've looked at Shakes /Soups diets before they have always included a meal at evening, so am finding it difficult to get my head around eating no fresh fruit/veg. I will try to talk to the Rewind people to get more insight into how the diet actually works. I shall report back on here when i find out more. I am certainly intrigued.

Thanks @mopinwil and @AngelSprings . When I've looked at Shakes /Soups diets before they have always included a meal at evening, so am finding it difficult to get my head around eating no fresh fruit/veg. I will try to talk to the Rewind people to get more insight into how the diet actually works. I shall report back on here when i find out more. I am certainly intrigued.
This link tells you a bit about it, I assume your GP is in the area which subscribe to it.

This link tells you a bit about it, I assume your GP is in the area which subscribe to it.
It’s not a slam dunk that you’ll be accepted into the programme even if your GP refers you. Mine referred me but I was rejected hence having to do it myself.

@Rekhaw partly I think success on this or similar comes down to mindset. It is only 12 weeks and that really isn’t very long in the scheme of things.
Yes you’ll miss “proper food” but you won’t be hungry. If you feel hungry and you’re doing four shakes a day for example (800 calories) then boost fluid intake.
Exante (which is the product used on the original Newcastle trial) suggest 3 meal replacement products plus one 200 calorie meal a day. That 200 calories can be anything you like but you can always make it up of salad and that’s going to be an awful lot of salad.

You can do this. We’re here to support you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back