Lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rebrascora I am in the "cheese scones are not bland" camp with @travellor and @nonethewiser .
I bake my own and found they are great to add a finely sliced leek and grated mature cheddar sprinkled over the top to melt in the oven. They are served with either butter or a good chutney.
I have a bag in my freezer which are defrosted when needed - yes, "needed" rather than just "wanted".

Urgh husband had 2 cheese scones instead of the 1 that I had and his blood sugar is 7.4 but then he’s not diabetic I am just aswell he’s back to work tomorrow don’t even want to look at him right now lol

Sickening isn't it! 🙄

Urgh husband had 2 cheese scones instead of the 1 that I had and his blood sugar is 7.4 but then he’s not diabetic I am just aswell he’s back to work tomorrow don’t even want to look at him right now lol

You rose by two.
Do you know his starting reading?
Also many other things affect a rise.
Existing stomach contents, what you drank with it, movement between measuring, temperature, to name but a few, and then your meter accuracy is less than that difference.

You rose by two.
Do you know his starting reading?
Also many other things affect a rise.
Existing stomach contents, what you drank with it, movement between measuring, temperature, to name but a few, and then your meter accuracy is less than that difference.
I would dearly love to get to remission but I’m worried it won’t happen for me

Still waiting to hear how much you enjoyed the cheese scone?? Was it heavenly or just average?
Did the worry spoil it for you?
Did you have it with plenty of butter? The fat in the butter slows the digestion of the carbs and helps to lower the spike a bit as well as obviously improving the flavour of the scone.

Still waiting to hear how much you enjoyed the cheese scone?? Was it heavenly or just average?
Did the worry spoil it for you?
Did you have it with plenty of butter? The fat in the butter slows the digestion of the carbs and helps to lower the spike a bit as well as obviously improving the flavour of the scone.
I tried some keto rolls using ground almonds and they were more like scones, I was intending to try them again but add cheese and maybe some chilies or sundried tomatoes as they were neither one thing or the other.

I tried some keto rolls using ground almonds and they were more like scones, I was intending to try them again but add cheese and maybe some chilies or sundried tomatoes as they were neither one thing or the other.
In my early days of going low carb I tried that ground almond "bread" mixture but it was too cakey for me and I really worry about the environmental impact of growing almonds so I try to keep my intake to a minimum rather than a regular feature of my diet.
As time has gone on, I no longer miss bread or crave it particularly or the convenience of a sandwich except on very rare occasions and it seems the same is true of scones. There are other things I would rather eat now and it is no hardship to do without. It's just that when there is a spread laid on and there is almost nothing low carb, I have been tempted to have a cheese scone and then wondered why I used to think they were nice. Of course I have to inject insulin to cover what I eat and to me I can't justify the insulin use for the very meagre pleasure I now get from them. I kind of see my insulin as money and I like to spend it wisely on the things I will enjoy and I will get value for money on.

I enjoyed it but the worry kinda detracts from it. I would love to be able to get into remission so I’m not quite so obsessed by everything as I am now . My dad who is also a type 2 is going crazy over it he thinks I’m making myself I’ll with worry and making my depression worse by testing all the time I’m due to go to Florida in June (cancelled more times than I can remember due to covid) and now I don’t have any excitement at the thought of it whatsoever

I enjoyed it but the worry kinda detracts from it. I would love to be able to get into remission so I’m not quite so obsessed by everything as I am now . My dad who is also a type 2 is going crazy over it he thinks I’m making myself I’ll with worry and making my depression worse by testing all the time I’m due to go to Florida in June (cancelled more times than I can remember due to covid) and now I don’t have any excitement at the thought of it whatsoever

Stress raises you BG.
The stress over eating the scone can raise your BG.

In my early days of going low carb I tried that ground almond "bread" mixture but it was too cakey for me and I really worry about the environmental impact of growing almonds so I try to keep my intake to a minimum rather than a regular feature of my diet.
As time has gone on, I no longer miss bread or crave it particularly or the convenience of a sandwich except on very rare occasions and it seems the same is true of scones. There are other things I would rather eat now and it is no hardship to do without. It's just that when there is a spread laid on and there is almost nothing low carb, I have been tempted to have a cheese scone and then wondered why I used to think they were nice. Of course I have to inject insulin to cover what I eat and to me I can't justify the insulin use for the very meagre pleasure I now get from them. I kind of see my insulin as money and I like to spend it wisely on the things I will enjoy and I will get value for money on.

I've tried coconut flour, and chick pea flour.
I think both would work ok, but the taste and texture of chickpea flour would be noticeable in a scone.

I've tried coconut flour, and chick pea flour.
I think both would work ok, but the taste and texture of chickpea flour would be noticeable in a scone.

I have coconut flour and use it very occasionally to make a low carb chocolate mug cake... maybe 3-4 times a year and I think I tried it in some chaffle/pancake things I made once and used as a wrap which I filled with salad leaves mayonnaise, a sliced tomato and some black pudding. That was really nice but just never got round to making any more.

I am unfortunately one of those people who can extract more carbs from beans, peas and lentils than they are supposed to contain so chick pea flour hasn't been helpful in my case, but as I said, I just don't really miss those sorts of floury/starchy foods now, so it doesn't seem worth the effort when I can eat other lower carb foods that hit the spot for me.

That is such a shame! I do kind of understand but I think you are looking at this as a one time only thing where you lose the weight and that is it, you go back to normal and even with @travellor it is not a case of get into remission via Newcastle and then forget about it, there has to be an element of maintaining the weight loss. Whether that means you set yourself a weight limit or dress size or notch on your belt and forget about what you eat until you hit that trigger point and then it's time to reduce the calories to drop a few pounds and keep comfortably within a healthy weight range or constantly monitor your weight and restrict food via a 5:2 diet or something.
To me you need to find a way that you can be more comfortable with food without sliding back to where you were before. I am a Yo-Yo dieter so I will end up bingeing and then dieting and my weight goes up and down and finding the motivation to diet is hard whereas eating low carb is now quite easy and sustainable for me, so this works for me.

You are so focused on "remission" as a goal, I wonder if you have actually stopped to think what remission looks and feel like and that it needs to be maintained? You know what slimmer feel like because you have achieved that in spades and maybe you do have a bit more to lose but you seem to have lost perspective in the process and an understanding of what your goal really means. I know you have an amazing nurse at your surgery who is supporting you and I wonder if a frank discussion with her about what remission means and how you hope to maintain it and how anxious you are about your food choices are at the moment and even how you feel about your up coming holiday as a result.

Remember the wedding weekend you went to and how anxious you were about that and how well you actually managed it and try to relate that to your planned holiday to the states. You know and understand the principles of it all but it is your perspective and confidence which is letting you down, when it shouldn't because you are doing absolutely brilliantly and any bits of slips you have with your diet or weight or diabetes management only need to be temporary. Give yourself permission to have time off from it all whilst on holiday and deal with whatever adverse results you have when you get back. If that means you need to lose a few lbs or do the Newcastle for a few weeks or 5:2 or something then just deal with it when you get home but promise yourself that you will leave the diabetes behind when you get on the plan and pick it up again when you get home if necessary.

That is such a shame! I do kind of understand but I think you are looking at this as a one time only thing where you lose the weight and that is it, you go back to normal and even with @travellor it is not a case of get into remission via Newcastle and then forget about it, there has to be an element of maintaining the weight loss. Whether that means you set yourself a weight limit or dress size or notch on your belt and forget about what you eat until you hit that trigger point and then it's time to reduce the calories to drop a few pounds and keep comfortably within a healthy weight range or constantly monitor your weight and restrict food via a 5:2 diet or something.
To me you need to find a way that you can be more comfortable with food without sliding back to where you were before. I am a Yo-Yo dieter so I will end up bingeing and then dieting and my weight goes up and down and finding the motivation to diet is hard whereas eating low carb is now quite easy and sustainable for me, so this works for me.

You are so focused on "remission" as a goal, I wonder if you have actually stopped to think what remission looks and feel like and that it needs to be maintained? You know what slimmer feel like because you have achieved that in spades and maybe you do have a bit more to lose but you seem to have lost perspective in the process and an understanding of what your goal really means. I know you have an amazing nurse at your surgery who is supporting you and I wonder if a frank discussion with her about what remission means and how you hope to maintain it and how anxious you are about your food choices are at the moment and even how you feel about your up coming holiday as a result.

Remember the wedding weekend you went to and how anxious you were about that and how well you actually managed it and try to relate that to your planned holiday to the states. You know and understand the principles of it all but it is your perspective and confidence which is letting you down, when it shouldn't because you are doing absolutely brilliantly and any bits of slips you have with your diet or weight or diabetes management only need to be temporary. Give yourself permission to have time off from it all whilst on holiday and deal with whatever adverse results you have when you get back. If that means you need to lose a few lbs or do the Newcastle for a few weeks or 5:2 or something then just deal with it when you get home but promise yourself that you will leave the diabetes behind when you get on the plan and pick it up again when you get home if necessary.
Oh yes I’m well aware the first thing Michelle did was sit me down and say you have type 2 diabetes and yes that’s sad but we are where we are there is no cure for type 2 diabetes but there is remission which if you manage to achieve is a life long thing to maintain but even if you don’t manage to get full remission you will definitely get greater control over your own body and management of your diabetes. I just feel like if I got there I may not be so obsessed about every single that I eat and the focus would more be on maintaining my weight and pay is activity levels, but I might be totally wrong

I am concerned that the longer you are obsessive about what you eat and your levels, the harder it will be to let go of that if you do manage to achieve remission. We do see people who get sub 42 HbA1c results and then find the responsibility of maintaining the remission worse and worry if it increases by one or two points the following year that they are losing it.

You have already made such massive progress you should be incredibly proud of yourself and you will have reduced your health risks enormously in the process and you need to focus more on that and be a little kinder to yourself not worry about what a one off cheese scone is going to do to you.
I really think you are seeking the holy grail when you already have it in ie. the wonderful progress you are making. Try to find enjoyment in the journey rather than focusing all your hope on what may may be at the end of it.

Oh yes I’m well aware the first thing Michelle did was sit me down and say you have type 2 diabetes and yes that’s sad but we are where we are there is no cure for type 2 diabetes but there is remission which if you manage to achieve is a life long thing to maintain but even if you don’t manage to get full remission you will definitely get greater control over your own body and management of your diabetes. I just feel like if I got there I may not be so obsessed about every single that I eat and the focus would more be on maintaining my weight and pay is activity levels, but I might be totally wrong

When I was diagnosed, I went online.
It's very easy to read all the advice, and get sidetracked into trying to micro manage BG minute to minute.
I also took a balanced view of everything I read.
I decided there was a lot more to diabetes than BG.
For me, it was a chance to change my lifestyle.
Weight, cholesterol, exercise, all were part of it.
But also I wanted to carry on doing the things I enjoyed, so that had to be a part of it.
I decided remission was worth trying, so I did the Newcastle Diet.
My reason for that is I enjoy travelling, I enjoy street food, I enjoy food on the go.
So that could work for me.
Fortunately it did, but over lockdown, gyms shut, eating and watching boxsets, I've certainly put on weight.
I still need to maintain the lower weight, but it's been unusual times!
To me it's all part of it though, I'm still not micro managing it, I never will.
I (probably) won't eat a box of donuts in one go again, but I will certainly cut myself some slack when I need to.
And, I've also tested others, who aren't diabetic, and it is surprising how high non diabetic spikes can be, without causing damage.
I'm not saying I don't, or wouldn't try to avoid them, but not exclusively to the extent my quality of life would degrade substantially.
Reading this thread has made me realise I actually want a cheese scone.
I am doing the Newcastle Diet again at the moment (800 calories shake based diet) to lose weight, but when it's over, I intend to make some.
I normally avoid too much cheese, it raises my cholesterol, but these will be loaded.
Ironically, they will be a low carb version, I tend to cook with chick pea flour, as I prefer the taste now, probably mixed with a wholemeal flour.

Let's be honest your not going to get same texture taste using flour substitutes, it's like trying to replicate sausages using veg ingredients instead of pork, might still be nice & enjoyable but nowt like real McCoy.

Found this to be true when looking for substitutes for roast potatoes using other veg when following LC diet, nothing came close & all it was was roasted veg, often have roast veg anyway with roast spuds & meat during week, I just couldn't fool myself into believing I didnt miss food like that & that alternatives came close.

There isn't a substitute for roast spuds, end of message. However, Aunt Bessie does really nice ones, cooked in goose fat, and that way I can sort myself out 3 or 4 suitably sized ones from the bag to have and don't bother at all with any (boring) boiled ones. OK you do need to oven cook them at a high temperature and it's not a short process - but good things are worth waiting for. And I don't have to invest separately in goose fat!

When I was diagnosed, I went online.
It's very easy to read all the advice, and get sidetracked into trying to micro manage BG minute to minute.
I also took a balanced view of everything I read.
I decided there was a lot more to diabetes than BG.
For me, it was a chance to change my lifestyle.
Weight, cholesterol, exercise, all were part of it.
But also I wanted to carry on doing the things I enjoyed, so that had to be a part of it.
I decided remission was worth trying, so I did the Newcastle Diet.
My reason for that is I enjoy travelling, I enjoy street food, I enjoy food on the go.
So that could work for me.
Fortunately it did, but over lockdown, gyms shut, eating and watching boxsets, I've certainly put on weight.
I still need to maintain the lower weight, but it's been unusual times!
To me it's all part of it though, I'm still not micro managing it, I never will.
I (probably) won't eat a box of donuts in one go again, but I will certainly cut myself some slack when I need to.
And, I've also tested others, who aren't diabetic, and it is surprising how high non diabetic spikes can be, without causing damage.
I'm not saying I don't, or wouldn't try to avoid them, but not exclusively to the extent my quality of life would degrade substantially.
Reading this thread has made me realise I actually want a cheese scone.
I am doing the Newcastle Diet again at the moment (800 calories shake based diet) to lose weight, but when it's over, I intend to make some.
I normally avoid too much cheese, it raises my cholesterol, but these will be loaded.
Ironically, they will be a low carb version, I tend to cook with chick pea flour, as I prefer the taste now, probably mixed with a wholemeal flour.
An excellent post for newbies like me. If I remember rightly sarahb83 we’re pretty much at the same stage into T2, both recently diagnosed and hunting remission. Posts like the above really help, it shows us what the future can look like and it’s not as miserable as we fear! I love food, food was my hobby, I think with a fresh diagnosis we panic and get all upset about never being able to eat the “good stuff” again, it’s nice to know that sometimes on a special occasion we can just forget it (within reason) for a meal. I’m off to NYC in a few weeks, I will be trying to stay “good” for the most part, I actually enjoy the challenge however I’m sure I will end up in a few less than ideal scenarios, I can let it ruin my mood/day/trip or I can plan to deal with it (double down efforts before and after the trip). Of course there’s a degree of sensibility, I’ll not be doing pizza tours or swallowing donuts on every block (both I have done in the past!).

I’ve found the diagnosis has also been a great opportunity to look at what I was doing, so much of the damaging food was just habit and/or laziness, I wasn’t really enjoying it. I had a low the other day, down, miserable and fed up I had a chocolate bar (first since diagnosis, almost to punish myself), instead of the warm hello old friend moment I was expecting it just didn’t taste that enjoyable anymore, then of course the shame, guilt and feeling of failure kicked in. A few days on I’ve turned it into a positive, stopped beating myself up, I did something not great however it reminded me how much I didn’t want that to become a habit again and how far I feel I’ve come. I think at this stage we’re far to obsessed on any negative, in reality as long as they don’t become habit it’ll unlikely make a difference to where we’re going. T2 may have made life more awkward but think of the benefits, I’d still be 3.5st heavier living a life that would eventually had lead to something catching up with me, strangely getting ill has made me feel better…

P.S I also do now really fancy a cheese scone…..

We’re similar ages to I think which I find really helpful and a bit reassuring because I do feel it’s very different getting this diagnosis when you’re still fairly young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back