Lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone - still irritated by my fasting blood sugar not coming below 6 but my post lunch readings are always 6 point something which I am happy about. I’m quite partial to paprika rice cakes for lunch I usually have 2 at 10g carb each and some cooked meat or cheese and my readings 2 hours after are always between 5.9 and 6.4 does this mean my body is handling it reasonably well? I’m thinking about having a cheese scone for lunch today but it’s 30g of carb I really really fancy one and I’m also thinking how will I know what my body is gonna do unless ili try it - or is this a really stupid idea? Since September I’ve lost 4 1/2 stone I’m still needing to lose another 2 to get to a good bmi (I’m a size 14 now) my bloods were 89 at diagnosis and 45 when re checked in November due to be checked again end of this month

Resist the carbs! Have a cheese salad or a ham and cheese sandwich, two ham one cheese in side? Your weight loss is phenomenal and you are doing so well.

I used to love a cheese scone and a hot chocolate mid morning pre diagnosis. Always preferred a good cheese scone to a fruit one but since diagnosis and changing my diet to low carb, the couple of times I have tried them (at wakes) they have caused me BG upheaval and I have been disappointed in that I didn't really enjoy them.... perhaps because I eat a lot of strong mature cheese on it's own these days, so the scone was just terribly bland.
Having said that, it is really important to experiment with our diabetes and see what works for us, so I hope my experience will not put you off trying it. One scone is not going to undo all the amazing hard work and success you have had with your weight loss, so try it and see. Personally my cheese scone experiments have made it easier for me as I am no longer tempted. There are other low carb foods that I now enjoy far more than cheese scones and hot chocolate, so the experiment was useful for me to realise that my new diet satisfies me without the need for those bland carbs that now upset my body. I don't consider them failed experiments, just useful to gather information and make decisions from in the future.

Hi everyone - still irritated by my fasting blood sugar not coming below 6 but my post lunch readings are always 6 point something which I am happy about. I’m quite partial to paprika rice cakes for lunch I usually have 2 at 10g carb each and some cooked meat or cheese and my readings 2 hours after are always between 5.9 and 6.4 does this mean my body is handling it reasonably well? I’m thinking about having a cheese scone for lunch today but it’s 30g of carb I really really fancy one and I’m also thinking how will I know what my body is gonna do unless ili try it - or is this a really stupid idea? Since September I’ve lost 4 1/2 stone I’m still needing to lose another 2 to get to a good bmi (I’m a size 14 now) my bloods were 89 at diagnosis and 45 when re checked in November due to be checked again end of this month
Why not have half a scone and see how that works for you.

Reading before breakfast 6.4 reading 2 hours after breakfast 6.3 that doesn’t make any logical sense to me at all I thought on average it should go up 1-2mmol

Try it.
There is absolutely no point in ruining your life by missing out on foods that may raise other peoples BG.
If they do raise yours, fair enough, if they don't, enjoy.

Reading before breakfast 6.4 reading 2 hours after breakfast 6.3 that doesn’t make any logical sense to me at all I thought on average it should go up 1-2mmol

Rejoice dont worry about it.
I used to love a cheese scone and a hot chocolate mid morning pre diagnosis. Always preferred a good cheese scone to a fruit one but since diagnosis and changing my diet to low carb, the couple of times I have tried them (at wakes) they have caused me BG upheaval and I have been disappointed in that I didn't really enjoy them.... perhaps because I eat a lot of strong mature cheese on it's own these days, so the scone was just terribly bland.
Having said that, it is really important to experiment with our diabetes and see what works for us, so I hope my experience will not put you off trying it. One scone is not going to undo all the amazing hard work and success you have had with your weight loss, so try it and see. Personally my cheese scone experiments have made it easier for me as I am no longer tempted. There are other low carb foods that I now enjoy far more than cheese scones and hot chocolate, so the experiment was useful for me to realise that my new diet satisfies me without the need for those bland carbs that now upset my body. I don't consider them failed experiments, just useful to gather information and make decisions from in the future.

Cheese scones bland, think you need to change bakers rebrassco.

Preference is fruit scone, sometimes have afternoon tea when on our travels, part of lifes enjoyment.

How long have you been lower carb-ing, and when are you due another HbA1c blood test?

Eating triggers your pancreas to release insulin to deal with the food, so that may be why your after breakfast reading was lower. Also don't be fooled into thinking that decimal place means anything because BG meters are not accurate to that extent. One of the more scientific members of this forum tested every finger and thumb in quick succession and got a whole variety of readings and will now only quote readings as whole numbers and ignores the decimal place.
A reading in the 6s is absolutely fine so don't worry about such tiny minor discrepancies.

Rejoice dont worry about it.

Preference is fruit scone, sometimes have afternoon tea when on our travels, part of lifes enjoyment.
I agree with Barbara, simply not cheesy enough!

I agree with Barbara, simply not cheesy enough!

Change bakers, love me cheese & discovered few really cheesy scones from bakers over the years, shop bought ones are naff never cheesy enough & just use cheap tasteless cheese.

Change bakers, love me cheese & discovered few really cheesy scones from bakers over the years, shop bought ones are naff never cheesy enough & just use cheap tasteless cheese.

I make my own.
Extra mature cheddar cheese ( far too much!) and a hint of mustard, hint of garlic, and black pepper. Same as in my cheese sauce.

Lets just say that I have had half a small, slightly under ripe Cox's apple (good balance of sharp and sweet and "Oh so crisp!" just the way I love them) with a chunk of Blue Stilton and another of vintage Red Leicester with a cup of coffee with cream and the combination of taste, texture and comfort was far superior to the best cheese scone and hot chocolate combination I have had and at about a tenth of the carbs and more fibre, that is a big win. I just don't need the cheese scone which, by comparison is bland and I have enough carb allowance left to have half a square of dark chocolate with a spoon of peanut butter, so I still get a little chocolate hit and be just scraping 10g carbs total rather than the 60+ for my hot choc and scone I used to have and that was just an elevensies. My cheese and half apple and coffee was lunch!

Oh dear don’t think my body likes that 6.4 before and 2 hours after the cheese scone 8.4 instead of 6. Something like the rice cakes always are

Oh dear don’t think my body likes that 6.4 before and 2 hours after the cheese scone 8.4 instead of 6. Something like the rice cakes always are
As they say the proof of the pudding is in the testing. Although not as good as the rice cakes still not bad as within 2-3mmol/l increase suggested as being acceptable.

It isn't a desperate result by any means. Still comes in at just under 8.5 and just a 2mmol rise. I think it would be reasonable to have a cheese scone as an occasional treat based on that experiment.... assuming you enjoyed it as much as you hoped. If it is any consolation, a cheese scone would have sent my BG levels to mid teens and probably taken a ridiculous amount of insulin to bring it back down.

I make my own.
Extra mature cheddar cheese ( far too much!) and a hint of mustard, hint of garlic, and black pepper. Same as in my cheese sauce.

Minus mustard garlic sounds good. When kids were little wife would bake scones with extra mature cheese, delicious still warm from oven smothered in butter.

Lets just say that I have had half a small, slightly under ripe Cox's apple (good balance of sharp and sweet and "Oh so crisp!" just the way I love them) with a chunk of Blue Stilton and another of vintage Red Leicester with a cup of coffee with cream and the combination of taste, texture and comfort was far superior to the best cheese scone and hot chocolate combination I have had and at about a tenth of the carbs and more fibre, that is a big win. I just don't need the cheese scone which, by comparison is bland and I have enough carb allowance left to have half a square of dark chocolate with a spoon of peanut butter, so I still get a little chocolate hit and be just scraping 10g carbs total rather than the 60+ for my hot choc and scone I used to have and that was just an elevensies. My cheese and half apple and coffee was lunch!
Love apples, like most fruit, bananas being preference. Stilton & strong mature cheddars are fav, also like cream & coffee but not together, at home make coffee part milk & water heating milk up first, also love chocolate milk or high % dark, so taste wise we not to far away rebrassco.

Still cant beat a nice scone, especially with butter clotted cream & jam, simply delicious my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back