Lowest BG

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lowest we had was 1.8 (twice!), daughter was still talking and laughing then flopped very suddenly. Whereas she’s had hypos in the 3s where the symptoms appeared to be worse, I think it depends on the speed of the drop.

4.2 here

My lowest was 1.9. It felt awful, scary & it was a regular occurance for awhile as i adjusted to a new drug to control my cf.

I don't know my lowest because I was unconscious. It was early days into my diagnosis and I quickly learnt a lesson about alcohol and diabetes. It was far more scary for my new partner; I just remember coming round and wondering why their were complete strangers in my bedroom and worrying they were fake paramedics my new boyfriend had invited into my house to steal from me. I also learnt irrational thoughts are another symptom of low blood sugars!
Thankfully, I have never needed assistance for any future hypos and reduce my insulin when I am drinking.

2.8 and unlike most around the same I felt fine, might be that I was at a funeral and just trying to plough on, felt absolutely dreadful afterwards though xx

3.1 on 1st March 2021
Clearly something was very wrong that day because the 3.1 was at 11am and the waking figure was 11.9 four hours prior.
Looking at the frequency of testing that day I clearly didn’t feel well and tested a lot.

I think it depends on the speed of the drop.
Definitely. I've had plenty of readings in the 1s and felt perfectly fine, or maybe just a bit shaky, but I've had readings in the 3s and not known what I was doing. And my body is so used to being hypo that a lot of the time I don't notice if it's in the 3s, so if it's in the 3s and I feel awful it means I'm plummeting rapidly, and that's much more of a problem for me than seeing the odd 1.6 or even the odd LO.

Er, that low that I was unable to move or speak and closed my eyes cos looking was too hard - and when the paramedic arrived he couldn't get his meter to tell him anything ie too low to read. As most meters read down to 1.8, and I've had 1.8s enough times and been able to sort myself out, I rather think I must have been lower than 1.8. Anyway I could actually still hear OK so was very grateful he kept telling me (and everyone else!) what he was doing so when he said he was going to put a cannula in and set up a glucose drip - if I could have kissed him I would. I still remember thinking TG somebody is doing something right for me rather than wondering out loud what they ought to do - Phew! - I should probably be OK in a bit!

Er, that low that I was unable to move or speak and closed my eyes cos looking was too hard - and when the paramedic arrived he couldn't get his meter to tell him anything ie too low to read. As most meters read down to 1.8, and I've had 1.8s enough times and been able to sort myself out, I rather think I must have been lower than 1.8. Anyway I could actually still hear OK so was very grateful he kept telling me (and everyone else!) what he was doing so when he said he was going to put a cannula in and set up a glucose drip - if I could have kissed him I would. I still remember thinking TG somebody is doing something right for me rather than wondering out loud what they ought to do - Phew! - I should probably be OK in a bit!
That must have been terrifying 😱

2.9 is the lowest
woke up sweating in the middle of the night (felt a bit dizzy and disoriented)

Sounds scary

It was scary ! I was at work and sitting at my desk still and nearly everyone had gone home - office manager came in as she did her evening walk round before locking up and doing the same, so she dialled 999 when I couldn't communicate, then the MD and another director came down to leave and seeing the lights on, came in too.

So anyway she was repeating what the call operator was telling her, first thing of which was Can you lie her down and get her into the recovery position? which makes sense - so the 2 males proceeded to do that, meanwhile another lady had entered the room and as they moved either side of me to move me, she shouted at them 'Don't touch her!' in a horrified voice - the MD shouted 'Oh, just shut up!' in no uncertain terms and both ignored the stupid mare, I'm very pleased to say. That was 24 years ago and I can still hear the voices.

But Hey! Because everyone else was sensible, I'm still here to tell the tale!

It was scary ! I was at work and sitting at my desk still and nearly everyone had gone home - office manager came in as she did her evening walk round before locking up and doing the same, so she dialled 999 when I couldn't communicate, then the MD and another director came down to leave and seeing the lights on, came in too.

So anyway she was repeating what the call operator was telling her, first thing of which was Can you lie her down and get her into the recovery position? which makes sense - so the 2 males proceeded to do that, meanwhile another lady had entered the room and as they moved either side of me to move me, she shouted at them 'Don't touch her!' in a horrified voice - the MD shouted 'Oh, just shut up!' in no uncertain terms and both ignored the stupid mare, I'm very pleased to say. That was 24 years ago and I can still hear the voices.

Scary! But I am now wondering what was going through the other lady’s mind!

Can you die from a hypo?

Can you die from a hypo?
Although it's probably not the answer you want to hear, yes people can but it isn't a common thing xx

Can you die from a hypo?

Yes, rarely. It’s very dangerous for the blood sugar to get really low. At worst it can cause death. It can also cause coma and brain damage. Very low blood sugar can cause seizures too.

CGMs and the Libre are great tools to help us catch hypos before they go too low though. Much, much better than when I was first diagnosed almost 30 years ago 🙂

As I mentioned on another thread - any BG under 3.3 affects the brain. Stay that low long or often enough - permanent brain damage. Several of us tried to be helpful to a wife & mother whose T1 husband had had almost endless admissions to hospital with DKA via Blues & Twos - and was at the time she appealed for help - was comatose. He had a total change of personality and was no longer the person she loved, had married and had fathered their little girl. It led to divorce unsurprisingly.

Just terribly SAD.

Well…… currently at the hospital. This time with the eldest (the not diabetic one)! Couldn’t make this s**t up! Took her ketone levels for a laugh earlier. 2.0. Her BG was 4.2. She called 111. They told us to come straight down.

Well…… currently at the hospital. This time with the eldest (the not diabetic one)! Couldn’t make this s**t up! Took her ketone levels for a laugh earlier. 2.0. Her BG was 4.2. She called 111. They told us to come straight down.
Oh no!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back